• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guderian

Mar 31, 2011
    I am close to purchasing my first semi-auto shotgun, and I was planning on purchasing extra barrels to swap out depending on what kind of shooting I'm doing that day. Is there any disadvantage to this? With pump, I can understand that the cost of an extra barrel is close to the cost of another pump, but that's not the case with semi-autos. Are there any other disadvantages to be aware of?

Thanks,
    Jim

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I think it is a good idea, I did the same thing. If it fits, you must outfit!!! It's hard to find a shotgun that lines up nicely. If you found one, swapping out the barrels will let you get used to the gun and shoot better. IMO.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    It depends on what you are going to use the gun for and it depends on which autoloader you are talking about. For the clay target games as well as for waterfow and some other hunting, a 30" bbl can do it all. However, for some other wing shooting, a shorter bbl might be better. Know that extra bbls for some autoloaders are expensive, while others are not so much. If you are a dedicated slug shooter, a bbl that handles slugs well might be an "extra bbl" consideration. If you are thinking about a bbl just for the ever popular but never used "HD" gun, I would advise you to pick up a used pumpgun more suited to being parked under the bed forever and settle on an autoloader that will be your primary shooter.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Multiple shot barrels for the same gun are very old technology. IMHO: Go with one shot barrel with interchangeable choke tubes, and a second (rifled) barrel designed for slugs and a scope if you deer hunt.

1) Barrel length beyond about 26" adds nothing to velocity, so a 30" barrel does not "shoot harder" as some folks think. They may have when we used blackpowder shells, but not now.

2) Balance is very much affected by barrel length, so you're going to notice minor differences in feel.

3) Longer barrels are sometimes better for shooters who might stop their swing while shooting, as the added mass out front aids in follow through.

4) Shorter barrels are handier for upland game hunting, so unless waterfowl is constantly on the menu and it doesn't matter what you lug around, a longer barrel is just a liability.

5) Choke tubes are available from cylinder bore (no choke at all) through "extra full" and beyond. Changing a choke tube changes the entire performance curve, and is something that can ride in your pocket until needed.

Extra barrels are just so....'60s.

It's actually getting hard to buy a new shotgun with a fixed choke barrel.

I have a small heap of Remington 870s and a half-dozen misc extra barrels knocking around here from a 24" skeet bore to a 30" full. None of these ancient solutions see the light of day since I bought my 24" Hasting barrel with every possible choke tube.

I have a couple 1100s with their useless extra barrels laying around too, and when I got another Hastings choke tube barrel for the 1100, the cost of changing chokes/performance was cut in half.

This day and age, I just can't see paying up to $200 for a fixed choke barrel when the OEM barrel and $60 worth of chokes will seriously do everything.

Guderian

Mar 31, 2011
    Well, I was originally interested in Beretta 391, but now I'm leaning towards Benelli M2.

I'm going to use it for skeet and sporting clays (or 5-stand), hunting ducks, geese and turkey (maybe even deer), and maybe even 3-gun, in that order.

For the above, I was thinking of getting 28" and 21" barrels with the M2.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Multiple shot barrels for the same gun are very old technology. IMHO: Go with one shot barrel with interchangeable choke tubes, and a second (rifled) barrel designed for slugs and a scope if you deer hunt.

1) Barrel length beyond about 26" adds nothing to velocity, so a 30" barrel does not "shoot harder" as some folks think. They may have when we used blackpowder shells, but not now.

2) Balance is very much affected by barrel length, so you're going to notice minor differences in feel.

3) Longer barrels are sometimes better for shooters who might stop their swing while shooting, as the added mass out front aids in follow through.

4) Shorter barrels are handier for upland game hunting, so unless waterfowl is constantly on the menu and it doesn't matter what you lug around, a longer barrel is just a liability.

5) Choke tubes are available from cylinder bore (no choke at all) through "extra full" and beyond. Changing a choke tube changes the entire performance curve, and is something that can ride in your pocket until needed.

Extra barrels are just so....'60s.

It's actually getting hard to buy a new shotgun with a fixed choke barrel.

I have a small heap of Remington 870s and a half-dozen misc extra barrels knocking around here from a 24" skeet bore to a 30" full. None of these ancient solutions see the light of day since I bought my 24" Hasting barrel with every possible choke tube.

I have a couple 1100s with their useless extra barrels laying around too, and when I got another Hastings choke tube barrel for the 1100, the cost of changing chokes/performance was cut in half.

This day and age, I just can't see paying up to $200 for a fixed choke barrel when the OEM barrel and $60 worth of chokes will seriously do everything.

:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom