• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Thank You. I have to leave my weapon at home every night I take the dog for a walk since I have a state park for a backyard.
    I am guessing you are walking your dog in the state park? If not, then no, you do not have to leave your firearm at home.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Sorry for the stupid question on my part, but does "school property" include colleges and universities? I ask because my wife works at a community college. I think the answer is "yes" but thought I'd double-check.
    Not at this time.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I call "Foul!" on MSP.

The COMAR reference merely says "display or discharge prohibited" and says nothing of possession or carry, nor does it say anything at all about "properly secured".
    This has been a major foul for well over 10 years and MSP is aware of it, but refuses to change it.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Sorry for the stupid question on my part, but does "school property" include colleges and universities? I ask because my wife works at a community college. I think the answer is "yes" but thought I'd double-check.
    For existing, no it does not. Under SB1 it does though. And AFAIK all colleges in MD ban guns under their rules. But at worst, for now, that means if caught you’ll be fire or expelled and/or banned from campus/school property. And if you are a parent of a student, I’d expect them to take adverse action against your child.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    For existing, no it does not. Under SB1 it does though. And AFAIK all colleges in MD ban guns under their rules. But at worst, for now, that means if caught you’ll be fire or expelled and/or banned from campus/school property. And if you are a parent of a student, I’d expect them to take adverse action against your child.

10-4 understood. I don't want to get the wife fired or anything, but it's good to know it's not an arrestable offense, currently at least.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There are no MD or VA laws* prohibiting the carrying of weapons on WMATA/Metro property, on the trains, or to my knowledge buses. DC does prohibit carry on public transit, so that's the problem section. WMATA also has no laws, rules, or regulations on weapon carry/storage, though they do enforce DC's law in DC. So, yes, you can legally do so. Please keep it in a well secured safe if so.

WMATA is also distinct from MTA operated public transit where carrying is prohibited.

*IANAL/Trust, but verify

And in addition to that , you have to research the exact parking space in question .

Everything that looks like " Metro Parking " isn't the same .

Some lots/ parking garages are actually owned by WMATA , some lots/parking garages are actually owned by the local County/ Municipality . They can be side by side , and the difference. not readily apparent . You have to carefully read the fine print on the signage .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The dc metro its okay to carry in maryland and VA.

DC is a no no, but its a twisted situation. I dont remember exactly how it works, but the mta wants DC to enforce it, but DC says its the mta's job or something like that. But not legal to carry.

I'm confused by the MTA references ? As far as I know MTA doesn't venture in D.C.. MARC Trains do , both are divisions of Md Dept of Transportation , perhaps you're lumping those together ?

The D.C. region subway/ bus system is WMATA , A US Congress chartered Independent system , NOT a state of Maryland agency . They have their own PD , the MTPD .

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    And in addition to that , you have to research the exact parking space in question .

Everything that looks like " Metro Parking " isn't the same .

Some lots/ parking garages are actually owned by WMATA , some lots/parking garages are actually owned by the local County/ Municipality . They can be side by side , and the difference. not readily apparent . You have to carefully read the fine print on the signage .
    Exercising a right really ought not be this complicated. :mad54:

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    I'm confused by the MTA references ? As far as I know MTA doesn't venture in D.C.. MARC Trains do , both are divisions of Md Dept of Transportation , perhaps you're lumping those together ?

The D.C. region subway/ bus system is WMATA , A US Congress chartered Independent system , NOT a state of Maryland agency . They have their own PD , the MTPD .
    Its all letters to me, I will just simplify it but saying metro, as thats how I know it from being a kid.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Its all letters to me, I will just simplify it but saying metro, as thats how I know it from being a kid.
    Gotcha !

Short version - The D.C. Region combined Transit system is Not a Maryland Agency , or Maryland gov't property , and follows local jurisdiction law , and doesn't add their own Firearms rules * in areas open to the Riding Public * .

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Are repurposed schools like North Carroll High School automatically no-go or is it "depends" based on county laws?

Specifically the grounds/fields outside.

Edit: in this case it should be ok to carry. The school was sold to Coppermine.

Last edited:

kshaw

Nov 21, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    From the state police website, here are the current prohibited places:

1. On school property (CR 4-102)

2. Within 1,000 feet of a demonstration in a public place (CR 4-208)

3. In legislative buildings (SG 2-1702)

4. Aboard aircraft (TR 5-1008)

5. In lodging establishments where the innkeeper reasonably believes individuals possess property that may be dangerous to other individuals, such as firearms or explosives (BR 15-203)

6. On dredge boats, other than two 10 gauge shotguns (NR 4-1013)

7. In or around State-owned public buildings and grounds (COMAR 04.05.01.03)

8. On Chesapeake Forest Lands (COMAR 08.01.07.14)

9. In State Forests (COMAR 08.07.01.04)

10. In State Parks (COMAR 08.07.06.04)

11. In State Highway Rest Areas, unless properly secured within vehicle (COMAR 11.04.07.12)

12. In community adult rehabilitation centers (COMAR 12.02.03.10)

13. In child care centers, except for small centers located in residences, firearms may not be kept on the premises (COMAR 13A.16.10.04)

Item 4 seems to only apply to commercial aircraft. The Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association compiled a summary of rules on transporting firearms in private aircraft here: https://www.aopa.org/training-and-s...porting-firearms-in-general-aviation-aircraft

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom