• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    A few points, selling to a dealer means 50% at best. Consignment means you loose 20% or more on sale price. Auction, you pay a fee. Private sale, you keep it all.

If I were in the families shoes, I would try to sell as private for a specific time. Whatever was left would either go on consignment or auction. Then, anything left sold as a lot to whoever would buy it.

Sundancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Harford County
    OP - If consigned or sent to auction, it would be great to let the folks on mds know where/when as there may be more than a few that would love to help out by acquiring quality pieces, especially c&r items!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Remember even unregulated long guns are regulated now in Marylandstan , at least as far as transfer goes.
    NOT TRUE!

For long guns, MD allows FFL03 (C&R) sales between licensees within the state. (Not sure if this applies only to C&R-eligible long guns).

For $30 and month's wait, you can get a C&R license, good for three years. Lots of MDS members have them, so they're essentially exempt from the dumbass long gun law, as long as both parties have a license.

Given that it's less than the price of a typical transfer transaction, it's hard to understand why one wouldn't get the license.

Long guns and MD laws aside, you can have C&R-eligible firearms shipped to your door, with no interaction with local dealers or the MSP. (For regulated firearms - handguns - your C&R license doesn't get you any benefits in MD, but you can buy/sell between here and the other 49 states with perfect legality.)

Last edited:

pilotwithgun

Feb 21, 2013
    I have no connection with them, but would recommend Reddings. They move a lot of firearms and have a national appeal. Plus, they are in PA where you shouldn't have to worry about anything now "not safe or permitted" in MD. I can also recommend Richard Opfer as an auctioneer if you go the MD auction route. I know him personally and also know his staff for ID'ing firearms is competent (and also knows what he doesn't know). Right now, with the prices of auctions, an auctioneer is at least as good, if not better at selling than doing local consignment.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Genesis Firearms (though in VA) will buy collections.
    Knowledge is power. Your best bet is to get some kind of idea of the value, look at Gun Broker or other sites completed sales, sold items.
    Dealers have to make money but some are nothing more than widow robbers. First they will ask you how much do you want for them, "your guns, how much?"
    Then tell you the guns are worth half of what they really are, then offer you half of that. They'll explain how they have to make money and how long it'll take to get their money back, all true.
    There's reputable dealers as well though. If you have high end guns like rare Winchester model 70's or lever actions or Parker shotguns and double barrels or AR type, then you should seek out dealers who deal in those type of guns. Same is true with auctions, seek out auctions that deal with guns not household furniture and estates.
    Keep in mind still in production guns, a dealer can buy wholesale.

That said, when I retired I sold most of my collection. I already knew what everything was worth. I tried consignment @15% but with no luck at all.
    I then calculated the real market value, deducted 10% and offered them to Perry County Firearms, Greg Weiand. I emailed him in the wee hours of the morning. He called me at 8:30 am. and was at my house a couple hour later, paid mostly cash, bought some other parts too...gave me my asking price 100%, didn't even try to negotiate. Reputable dealers and high end shops are a pleasure to deal with, they treat everyone like family and WILL travel to buy nice guns. Shuman's in Newville PA is another good dealer.
    Good Luck, we'll be watching for the list.
    Is that Perry County PA? Parents used to live there before moving to Elizabethtown. I only spent weekends there while still in the Navy and afterwards

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Is that Perry County PA? Parents used to live there before moving to Elizabethtown. I only spent weekends there while still in the Navy and afterwards
    It's just above Harrisburg, Millerstown. Most of his guns he puts on Guns International and they sell within a day or two.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    It's just above Harrisburg, Millerstown. Most of his guns he puts on Guns International and they sell within a day or two.
    That’s where they lived, Millerstown. Probably who dad bought his Beretta from back when.

cogcon

COGCON
    MDS Supporter
    You could also try Gunrunner Auctions for the non-special ones. Getting record prices.
    1. Contact Scott at scott@thegunrunner.com and tell him about your firearm or your collection. The best way is to do this with a list of the firearms and their accessories like boxes, papers, scopes, etc. No need to send photos unless the gun has unique markings or is a one-of-a-kind.
    2. Once Scott emails you back or calls you, he will instruct you to ship or deliver your guns to either our Burton, Ohio facility or our Cody, Wyoming facility. We also offer a pick-up service from either facility for larger collections.
    3. Once we receive your firearms via UPS or U.S. Mail, we will promptly send you an auction contract with a full inventory of each item with serial number and description. You merely sign the contract and return it to us.
    4. We charge 15% commission for firearms and 25% commission on non-gun items such as ammunition, scopes, reloading equipment, military artifacts, etc.
    5. Your firearms will receive 10 days of bidding on our site. You can watch the fun unfold from your computer! As with all online auctions, the last day is when the “rubber meets the road” and it gets very exciting!
    6. 30 days after the conclusion of the entire auction we will mail you a payout check from the Burton, Ohio office. Your payout sheet will list each item with its serial number and realized price minus the commission fee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom