• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sid.

Feb 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Seems like Amazon is discounting a few seller's Eotech 512's down to $369. When you add to your cart, it shows the seller's price. When you go to checkout, it shows Amazon's discount and the $369 price.

I ordered from River Colony Trading with Prime shipping.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Seems like Amazon is discounting a few seller's Eotech 512's down to $369. When you add to your cart, it shows the seller's price. When you go to checkout, it shows Amazon's discount and the $369 price.

I ordered from River Colony Trading with Prime shipping.

There was a class action lawsuit against Eotech for substandard performance of their sights. Do a search. Some of us got in on that and received refunds as a result. I no longer have a 512

There’s a reason why the 512’s are going for bargain prices. :innocent0

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Are these the ones in the class action lawsuit?

You have to look at the serial number ranges. The legal entity that represented the class action lawsuit had all of the info on their website. The suit is now closed and settled.

There was a cutoff date where you had to sign up for it.

Absolutely sure that there are a lot of Eotechs out there that were not sent in during the class action lawsuit in order to take advantage of the refund.

Sid.

Feb 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I'm not too worried about thermal drift - I won't be in subzero temps or training in 120 degree weather.

That being said, if it's not one of the updated versions I'll be sending it back.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I'm not too worried about thermal drift - I won't be in subzero temps or training in 120 degree weather.

That being said, if it's not one of the updated versions I'll be sending it back.

:thumbsup:

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I got two of the new 512s last fall when they were on sale for something like $265 after the $75 rebate. They have been great so far. I am not exactly beating them up though.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I sent mine in because they were pieces of shit (the two I had left) and was happy to get rid of them.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD

I shoot outdoors year round. From 20 to 95 degrees. And the temperature in my truck easily gets above 120 in the summer. Not interested in an optic that cannot handle those temperatures.

Sid.

Feb 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I shoot outdoors year round. From 20 to 95 degrees. And the temperature in my truck easily gets above 120 in the summer. Not interested in an optic that cannot handle those temperatures.

Fair enough. And the lawsuit/buy back is good info for those who weren't up to speed.

I have an Aimpoint M2, so just looking for something different. I also considered the Holosuns with the circle dot reticle.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Fair enough. And the lawsuit/buy back is good info for those who weren't up to speed.

I have an Aimpoint M2, so just looking for something different. I also considered the Holosuns with the circle dot reticle.
    I like the Holosun 503somethingsomething pretty well. I would recommend it as long as you use a better mount than the one that comes with it. I also had to take the killflash off because it messes with my astigmatism. The mount it came with broke when I tried to mount it to my AR15. I'm not aware of this being a widespread problem, but if I'm providing an anecdote I might as well share the whole experience.

You can often find Trijicon MROs for $350 or so. That's become my go to RDS. Works well with my astigmatism too.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    So far, no problems with my Eotech XPS2 I got last year. It's been used in mostly hot weather, left in my car in the summer, and hasn't had any drift. I picked it over the 511 because it takes up less space on my receiver. I think it was on sale for $450 last year, with a $50 rebate from Eotech.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    There were plenty of other issues in addition to the thermal drift. What I got out of the whole Eotech thing as it unfolded is that I don't think most shooters are capable of noticing that their gun is off by a few MOA.

ETA: The shortcomings possible issues that people claim they are willing to live with would be acceptable if it were a $100 sight. At ~$400, uhhh NO.

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    There were plenty of other issues in addition to the thermal drift. What I got out of the whole Eotech thing as it unfolded is that I don't think most shooters are capable of noticing that their gun is off by a few MOA.

When I bought my first Eotech many moons ago, the LGS guy told with a roll of his eyes that it had a 1moa dot. Clearly, it did not. More like a 3-4moa dot. IDK, what are realistic expectations for red dots? I think, on a whole, this was the main reasoning behind going to ACOGs and dumping the red dots with maybe the exception of CQB, where red dots shine. I love my red dots, two of which are Eotechs. I haven't noticed any glaring problems(except my Vortex SPARC, which is giving me fits). A few moa? Who knows. Maybe I'm not as crappy a shot as I thought.

MikeH

May 9, 2005
    I never took the 512 I had through extreme temperature, but it suffered loose contact from time to time even after installing the battery spring kit. Took advantage of the full refund and replaced it with an Aimpoint PRO. Never looked back.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have an early 512, had an intermitant loss of power until I put the updated spring kit in, absolutely no issues with a couple XPS2 models, shoot year round, and figure the rifle's POI shifts more than the optics POA. A few labs tested the sights within 2MOA across the temp range,haven't seen anyone other than court docsclaiming anything over a couple MOA, and the greatest shift and distortion is below 0, not at high temps. The large field of view, clarity, lack of tint, and 0 holding are great, worth the MSRP, the hologram is unique in that the dot doesn't increase in size with a magnifier, and they are truly parallax free. Like FBI van guy above, I lucked out and got a couple for under $300 net when they had the rebate going. Only real downside IMO is the 600hour(25 day) battery life compared to the 50K hours(5 year) of aimpoint models, or lack of batteries in the Trijicons

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    I've had my XPS2 since 2013 and haven't had any issues with it after a few thousand rounds down range. Mounted it on my home-build AR15 a couple years ago and that baby has held zero in fine form-- with the 3X magnifier its a great optic set-up and adds nice versatility. True--I don't beat the bejesus out my firearms or shoot at sub-zero temps... but I absolutely love the field of vision, ease of use, and of course the aesthetics --- looks just like it performs--bad-ass!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom