• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    For those of you who have used one, here is the simple question...

How big of a difference in accuracy are you seeing when using one?

I'm still thinking of getting one to give myself some more longer range capability in one gun instead of going for another. I'm looking for real experience with how big of a difference it makes.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I used the Aimpoint version behind a 512, and it did noticeably improve upon the group size. I was only shooting 105 yards, but I imagine if I'd had a longer range to shoot at, the results would've been more noticeable.

A practical example, just with the basic 512 I had about a 75 to 80% hit ratio on golf-balls at 105 yards. With the magnifier, I was very rarely missing a shot on them.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I think it makes a difference, although I was only shooting 50 yards at NRA. My eyesight has gotten progressively worse as I've gotten older. I now have 3 of these magnifiers mounted behind 3 Eotech EXPS 3.0 HWS on 3 rifles. I no longer have to squint to focus on the target. I can only guess it would improve even more at 100 + yards.

Attachments

• SDC10062.jpg
      SDC10062.jpg
      56 KB · Views: 281
    Last edited:

bmonast

Feb 1, 2011
    Gamber, MD
    Ditto Swinokur but I am using a 557 EO, however I recently purchased but not yet installed and tested a Loopy VXR Patrol to help these eyes. It does look promising for a lot less $$.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    I use an Aimpoint behind my EOTech. Simply because of how it mounted. The mount connected at the front of the tube, allowing it to sit back over the Magpul sight.

The EOTech magnifier mounted in the middle of the tube, making it impossible to fit in the limited rail space...

384915095.jpg
    \

Jamie

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I'm using the 7mm riser on my G33 to give me a lower 1/3 co witness, so no space issues as the pic shows. Mine basically mounts like yours and hangs back over the BUIS.I can even let the larger Magpul BUIS aperture stay up. The Eotech EXPS 3.0 sight has the 7mm riser built in. I think the support guy I spoke to at Eotech said even without the riser the new G33 magnifier could accommodate BUIS up to .60 inches in height.

ETA-Jamie is that a Larue mount for the Aimpoint?

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I have used the Primary Arms Gen 1 3X and its nice, you can get a flip to the side mount that attaches on the magnifier near the front, near the main optic.

IMG_0004.jpg

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    How much of a difference in accuracy are we talking here? I mean, is it the same as using a 3x scope?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    How much of a difference in accuracy are we talking here? I mean, is it the same as using a 3x scope?

There's some similarities. Eye relief is one of them, it's not a super generous eye-box. FOV, the scope's probably got just a bit of an edge there, but it's pretty close IMO.

I didn't mark these, but this is (2) 5-shot strings at 105 yards off a wood block - with and w/out the magnifier. The string high and to the right, and the loner at almost 6 o'clock was just the 512. The other string that LOOKS like 4 shots is with the magnifier, and a slightly calmer shooter by that time.

View attachment 72610

Is it worth the asking price? Some may think so, some may not. But I never paid the asking price on my magnifier. ;)

Last edited:

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    By looking at it then it looks like the magnifier shrunk your groups more then 50%.

I'm not getting the overpriced EoTech magnifier if I do get one. It will be the Vortex.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    By looking at it then it looks like the magnifier shrunk your groups more then 50%.

I'm not getting the overpriced EoTech magnifier if I do get one. It will be the Vortex.

Not all of it is the magnifier. By the time I fired the second string I'd finally gotten my heart-rate and breathing down (the first 10 minutes, I'm elevated), so a portion of the improvement should be credited to that.

If you keep your eyes open, you can get the Aimpoint model for a LOT less than MSRP. Vortex I have no experience with.

ViperRy

May 26, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    It really depends on what you are doing with your rifle. Depending on your eyes you should be able to hit a silhouette at 300yards with just a red dot.

If you're looking to make more precision hits at those ranges, or your eyes aren't what they used to be then go with a flip to side so you have the option of using just a red dot.

Boar hunting with a 4x last year, nothing out there that day but a coon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom