• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks for the video I enjoyed watching it.
    For the cut down rifle and after goi g through a couple sight options I have available I did try out out a Mauser band last night just before viewing the video with tangent rear but decided against it because of sight radius.

I thought they were going to go into the bushing in the breech face for the purposes of safety but didn’t to any extent.

Fwiw I couldn’t determine any reduction in firing pin/port diameter with the quick view that was provided although it may have been done to a certain extent.

Both built up rifles are goi g to need this done but I’m going to use a method common to higher velocity cartridge adaptation used by a lot of early gunsmiths when metallic conversions were prominent.

I think for the conversions this is probably the most important measure that needs undertaken rather than being over concerned about the metallurgy of the receivers contents or inconsistency of the steels used in comparison to say a nickle steel receiver developed at least in US arsenals just prior to WWI.

SA technology for the same period was case hardening pressure bearing parts with soft rebar quality metals used in the Krag and early single heat treat 03’s.

However I wouldn’t estimate the quality of materials to be any greater than an action body produced in Great Britain to be any better other than the best quality steels used in gun making due to proof requirements already being established and the need to meet martial requirements such as military trials at that time.

I guess if I wanted to I could send both of them to be proofed so I could really be sure but don’t necessarily feel the need at this point.

Otherwise, that rifle didn’t eject and the adaptation could be due to 303 availability dependent on an opposing governments neglect to provide a cartridge to meet the needs of an opposing force so an alternative /Interim ammunition was necessary.

The reason for a reduction in firing pin diameter if anyone is interested is that because the diameter is larger, the possibility of the pin to drive the outward edge of the primer cup inwards exists as combustion occurs at the same time internally to the cartridge.
    Also, lots of early cartridges had domed, larger diameter copper primers vs what we determine as being common today.
    I appreciate the information, that's neat! Thank you

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Getting close, I'm going to install a stream lined ramp but still need to work out some sort of back-sight arrangement. I looked at some of these Williams fool proof slab side aperture sights but its difficult to judge if they'll work correctly their specs are pretty slim for actual measurements.
    Maybe slim the wrist down install the lock screws and what not. Tomorrow I'll test fire and prove the breeching measure some brass validate headspace.
    When I glass beaded the barrel I found Long Branch/Canadian markings and some codes I can look into.
    Its a two groove barrel/nice and bright not a lot of erosion so maybe it will shoot pretty decent with some cast or even jacketed bullets.
    Ill probably work on the other rifle color the metal and that sort of thing awhile too.

Attachments

• MC post.PNG
      MC post.PNG
      489.8 KB · Views: 44

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom