• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RJP3579

Mar 10, 2011
    Pasadena, Md
    I just purchased a Longbrach No4 Mk1* and after checking the headspace, the bolt closes on the no-go and field gauges. The bolt head is stamped 2. Should a bolt head stamped 3 possible fix this? I checked Numrich but they are out of stock. Anyone know of other places for parts? Thanks...

IMAG0307_zpsb90e00d1.jpg

jessebogan

Feb 25, 2012
    What is the actual measurement of your bolt head? The number 3 and 4 bolt heads are out there, but not real common.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    yep, a longer bolt head should take care of it, dunno where to find one though, mostly only 0-2 available.

however, even though it fails a field gauge, dont discount it yet, these rifles were built with very generous tolerances, and different guns handle headspace differently.

for some guns headspace is a much more serious issue than for others.

heres a good write up about enfield headspace.

http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirear...1/t/Headspace-101-for-303-s.html#.UT_cB1HKGmN

my suggestion is even if you cant find a new bolt head to fix the problem, go fire a few rounds from the rifle, do it sandbagged with a string if you like, and see what the brass looks like.

if its horribly stretched, then the problem needs to be fixed, if its only a little bit, then i wouldnt worry about it.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Did you use SAAMI gauges or MilSpec gauges?

SAAMI is frequently a FAIL, when the MilSpec 0.074" FIELD is GTG.

Measuring the bolt head is the way to go (assuming everything else checks out) numbers don't really indicate bolt head length accurately as many were field modified to fit & so different ones with the same number may have a different length.

RJP3579

Mar 10, 2011
    Pasadena, Md
    I am using Forster gauges and I believe they are SAAMI. I have found someone who has longer bolt heads and I am working with him to get the correct headspace with a new bolt head. My bolt head measures .637.

RJP3579

Mar 10, 2011
    Pasadena, Md
    I contacted Scott Stonehill of Evans Obsolete Screws (www.customscrewsandmore.com) who restores Enfields and he was able to modify another bolt head to work in mine and it seems to work just fine as far as the headspace gauges go. I still need to shoot her and make sure she doesn't blow up.
    He seems pretty knowledgable about Enfields and he said mine has the lowest s/n for a Longbranch he has seen in some time. Mine is 3L27XX and it has the old style cocking handle with matching numbers on the bolt, receiver and barrel. My original intention was to get this re-finished but if this is a rare Longbranch, I won't.
    Anyone have any knowledge with this situation?

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Not rare at all. Now, if it was a No 4 MkI with the wasted front sight. Or with a serial # like 0L01. Your fore end is the early low wood type. Is the tophat cocking piece marked with an S?

As for refinishing it. Paint would be the MOD way. Save your money for ammo and leave the old girl as is.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    do you guys grease or use regular gun oil on the Bolt? I have not shot mine but just disassembled the bolt today and cleaned off the grease and looking to also see how much of the black stuff I may need to clean off firing pin.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Oil only. The locking & camming surfaces depend on some friction to operate properly, greasing reduces friction.
    What I do is unscrew the bolt head & use cleaner into the exposed tunnel for the stiker & spring till it comes out clean.
    Then I add oil to the front & rear, let it soak in well & stand firing pin down on wadded rags till it quits dripping.
    I do put a very small dab of grease on the front face of the striker where it engages the sear.

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    Thread jack for a moment. I just ordered a micrometer sight for my No.4. What's the best way to remove the pin holding the the rear sight screw in place?

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    It isn't a screw, just an un-threaded Pin. The "screw slot" is used to line up the cross hole when replacing the ais pin.
    The axis pin retaining pin HAS to be driven out from the bottom as it's tapered. I use a punch & brass hammer as that little thing is in there tight! Make sure you fully support the rifle when pounding on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom