• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Greetings all,

I got the .303 British Field Gage I ordered from MidwayUSA today. I tried it in my rifles and the bolt easily closed on all four. This concerned me so I looked around on the internet and found a lot of info about Enfield Rifle headspace. First, the Forster gages are made to SAAMI specs which is .070 for the British .303 field gage, second, the British mil. spec. field gage is .074 and third, the fact that the bolt closes on a .070 SAAMI field gage is not necessarily a bad thing. Also, I read a lot about varying degrees of chamber size on these rifles and the fact that they were made for military use and not the civilian market. Add to this the fact that most Enfield rifles out there have been in service for MANY years all over the world before we get them. I load my own ammo when possible and never load anything higher than the start loads.
    I have fired many rounds through all four of my rifles with no problems. The brass expands normally and shows no signs of distress. I use the same brass in each rifle that fires it, I just resize the neck. I do not use the brass from one rifle in another. After reading all of the info, some good and some not so I believe my rifles will be safe to shoot for some time. Since I use just the start loads this should help ease the stress on the brass. If the brass does start showing the signs of excessive headspace I will have the rifle(s) checked ASAP. I'm thinking about getting the .074 field gage. I you have anything to add feel free. Here's a picture of my rifles.

1) 1915 B.S.A CO. G.R. SHT. LE III
    2) 1944 Lithgow MA S.M.L.E. III*
    3) 1943 Long Branch No. 4 Mk I*
    4) 1944 Savage No. 4 Mk I*

Attachments

• h1.jpg
      h1.jpg
      122.2 KB · Views: 229

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    NICE COLLECTION THERE!

I ran into some issues on my Savage built No4Mk1.
    I got the okie gauges cause I had read the Field was the right one.
    Mine passes field but not No Go. So I knew it would be ok but I'd have reloading issues.
    Well, about the 3rd firing of Remmington brass and I got case head seperation. I'd talked to other people where they got head speration on new brass so I knew I was not doing too bad.
    I did a thread on gunboards and some of the other guys had some good suggestions like the rubber band method. Remmington brass sucks and PPU I think eventually will do the best. I'm on my 3rd reloads for the Herters brass so time will tell.
    Per one suggestion, I'm now using 174g Hornady bullet with Varget and my groups tightened up noticably.
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?322605-303-reloading-Q-s&p=2641812#post2641812

NICE COLLECTION THERE!

I ran into some issues on my Savage built No4Mk1.
    I got the okie gauges cause I had read the Field was the right one.
    Mine passes field but not No Go. So I knew it would be ok but I'd have reloading issues.
    Well, about the 3rd firing of Remmington brass and I got case head seperation. I'd talked to other people where they got head speration on new brass so I knew I was not doing too bad.
    I did a thread on gunboards and some of the other guys had some good suggestions like the rubber band method. Remmington brass sucks and PPU I think eventually will do the best. I'm on my 3rd reloads for the Herters brass so time will tell.
    Per one suggestion, I'm now using 174g Hornady bullet with Varget and my groups tightened up noticably.
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?322605-303-reloading-Q-s&p=2641812#post2641812

Thanks. I just loaded 100 rounds of new PPU brass. I also have 100 spent PPU cases that are ready for a third reload. I have them separated for each rifle the brass was fired in. Here's the load data for the new brass.

Case - PPU .303 British.
    Bullet - PPU 150gr FMJBT .311 diameter.
    Powder - H4895 38.5gr. This is the recommended start load I use for this powder. Velocity 2297 FPS.
    Primer - Remington 9 1/2 Large Rifle.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    That's the same load I started with.
    It grouped about the same as the 150g Herters which was better than the Remmington.
    Let me know if you get to 5 reloads on that PPU. I rotate through what rifle I shoot so the 303 is up for a range trip soon. I over paid for mine (was in PA at the time and money drunk) for the condition it was in but I still like to shoot it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom