• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Dropped out as a "recruit" once it became obvious how much of a clusterFvck the whole gig was. Going weeks with no response to questions was a pretty obvious tip off.

Not like I was losing sleep over it, but, IIRC:

Free RSO class in exchange for volunteer time,... Wait,... maybe not "free",.... hold on.....now we don't have enough people.......

Egh, not worth the hassles.

organized_mayhem

Legend in my own mind
    Dropped out as a "recruit" once it became obvious how much of a clusterFvck the whole gig was. Going weeks with no response to questions was a pretty obvious tip off.

Not like I was losing sleep over it, but, IIRC:

Free RSO class in exchange for volunteer time,... Wait,... maybe not "free",.... hold on.....now we don't have enough people.......

Egh,

There was always communication. The class was and still is free once we have enough people to conduct a proper class. The only cost was the class booklet and your own certification fee's to the NRA. It was pretty obvious you would have never been committed when the small cost was too much of a bother to you but then 2 weeks later you were posting with interest in an RSO class for much more. Told me alot about the person you are. But it certainly doesn't need to be explained to someone who isn't worth wasting the time on. Like I said before, have fun with your little game.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Meh....PJDiesel always seems to be in an argument with someone on this forum, perhaps it's time he realizes where the problem lies.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Told me alot about the person you are. But it certainly doesn't need to be explained to someone who isn't worth wasting the time on. Like I said before, have fun with your little game.

Obsess much? I had all but totally forgotten about the whole rso topic. Let me know when you want the rights to my biography so you can finish the book. Sheesh, lots of spare time.

organized_mayhem

Legend in my own mind
    Obsess much? I had all but totally forgotten about the whole rso topic. Let me know when you want the rights to my biography so you can finish the book. Sheesh, lots of spare time.

Sounds like you have much more spare time that I do to obsess about a range you do not use. But good try. Maybe you can use all that spare time and energy to make your range a better place. I wouldn't count on that though.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I offered to help on page 1, before all the silliness.

Put it this way. If I had a say in the way the range was run and the shotgun area was a constant hassle, I'd shut it the area down. (totally, until it was remedied). People don't want to abide by the rules, simple decision, no clays. Everyone that inquiries would be notified of the same thing, people perpetually left trash, theres no budget for cleaning up after them, area is closed until further notice.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Of couse, THEN there would need to be a small budget to FIX the area so theres no further confusion about it. Lattice was mentioned, its widely used in sporting clays to keep hulls from pegging onlookers, I'd imagine it would work well for stopping the hull from bouncing forward. Not very durable, so I'd like to see a tight knit, green nylon coated chain link fence instead.

I do hate when I go to the range and see the remains of the p.o.s target stands that the inconsiderate douch bags left behind , we don't have to many public places to shoot , so why not take the best care of the range that we could ,, I wouldn't , couldn't be that guy ...

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    As an ENSF volunteer RSO and one of the NRA TC's who have taught the NRA RSO class at ENSF, I would like to say as a volunteer your only get out of it what you put into it!

There are patrons of ENSF who appreciate the efforts of our volunteers to keep the range safe. There are also those who have been quite vocal about doing what they please rather than follow the rules.

I am grateful for anyone who wants to volunteer. The training is done at cost of materials and each graduate is responsible for his/her NRA RSO fees. We do not obligate anyone to stay on as a volunteer. In my case, I normally offer the NRA RSO class for $100.00 per person (plus the NRA RSO fees) so it is a bargain at $26.00 per person.

Once you have the RSO certification, you can use it to help with 4-H, BSA and GSA events. There are also some companies that give discounts.

Sep 18, 2013
    Towson
    It seems that the only time I went to the Skeet range there, I goofed up

I made sure that I read the Range Rules before I got there
    I saw that on the rifle range, the rules read " All target stands must be removed from Premises"

But that spent shell casings, hulls and brass must simply be removed.

At the Skeet platform was a big sign saying that all empty shells need to be removed.

And I can understand removing them from the platform as they constitute a rolling trip hazard.
    And this platform was one of the few elevated decks or platforms that I have seen that did not have a toe rail at the bottom, and had about a ton of spent shells in a huge pile right below the platform. Some of them were old, but many of them were obviously added recently. So this has clearly been a long term, ongoing pattern of spent shells going into this huge pile.

So, I figured that for some reason, they wanted us to kick the empties over the edge,and every so often, DNR would remove the ton or so of spent shells in the pile below the platform.
    And I thought that DNR was nice enough to not put a toe rail there so that we could just kick them over, instead of having to bend over to pick them up and throw them into the pile.

And all of this was reenforced by watching the party in front of me do exactly that.

It was an honest mistake on my part.

Suggestions.
    Put the toe rail in place to form a lip at the edge of the platform.
    Change sign to say "Remove from Premise, "Ignore the pile of empties below your feet, and take your empties home with you" or some other clear language phrasing.

I like that range. And certainly did not set out to break the rules.
    And next time I will know better.

Lostfantum

Ultimate Member
    Nov 27, 2007
    Middle River, Maryland
    I as a RSO there at Elk Neck make it known to the shotgun platform users to not hand throw the hulls over the rail. It has long been know on the permit page you sign that ALL trash is to be taken with you when you leave. Targets, hulls, empty cases, and containers are considered trash. Sometimes on Sunday mornings the range is trashed due to patrons not following rules. The ranges have to be cleaned up before they can be opened. If all patrons followed the rules it would be a great range

ENSF

Nov 22, 2008
    All,

I would like to see the finger pointing stop and all work together to find a solution. I am open to a meeting for any interested persons to meet and openly discuss the area. It is a great range but one that is difficult to manage to say the least.

As a courtesy, we will be closing each range on an alternating schedule for repairs to the eyebrows and backstops around late March or April. One range will be open at a time for weapons permitted at that specific range. Once the schedule is known, the closing dates will be posted. Additionally, major changes are happening with the pistol range to include reducing some shooting distances down and installing a new berm. More details of this to be discussed at the meeting.

Please list some dates and times if you are interested in attending. ALL are welcome.

Thanks,

Shawn Day

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    The solution in my opinion is to have a person there enforcing range rules all day and everyday the range is open, otherwise it will always be a free for all. I went to Elk Neck once, in the 1990's, and these "issues" that always are in every thread here were mentioned to me by patrons of the range, wayyyy back then.

Since you can't have trash cans, you'll always have trash there since no one is there 24/7 to let someone know to pick up their trash. No matter what shotgun platform you can build, it seems like there will always be hulls in the grass.

Of course, we're all aware to have someone there all the hours of the range operation is practically impossible given the circumstance of the range itself.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I do hate when I go to the range and see the remains of the p.o.s target stands that the inconsiderate douch bags left behind , we don't have to many public places to shoot , so why not take the best care of the range that we could ,, I wouldn't , couldn't be that guy ...

This. Probably one out of three times I visit, there is some sort of shoddy 2x4 target stand left in one of the lanes. It's usually too short (under 4') and completely peppered with holes.

I think a net of some kind could possibly aid in cleaning up the shells. However, I could see this net becoming damaged simply from being outside, not even considering possible human factors that could damage it.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Biggest issue is the design of the area. I'm honestly surprised there's still even a debate. Rifle and handgun ranges would look the same if your brass was funneled down into mud pit you had to have muck boots on to get in to.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Most recreational shooting establishments have trash cans.

Been tried. A series of ignorant savages decided to take the trash cans out onto the ranges and shoot 'em up.

Also if I recall correctly, the state forests are ostensibly zero trash facilities. You bring it in to the forest, you take it out of the forest. Exceptions made for the slugs sent down range, I suppose. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom