• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I sure hope the 'toolbag' you are referring to wasn't me....
    I shoot my HD gun there all the time, just to put some rds thru it. Blackhawk pistol grip, 20in barrel and mag extension. I hit 95% of the clays and I am VERY safe with all my firearms.
    So what is wrong with shooting with a pistol grip?

Nothing wrong with it I suppose if that's your gig. I guess I'm used to proper sport shotgunning, ..... you know, with a stock and all.

I call BS on the percentage. :bs: You are welcome to come with me to Hopkins or Shraders next time we go, you hit 95 out of 100 birds with your gun and I'll GIVE you mine.;)

mdshooterguy2820

Aug 26, 2011
    Joppa, MD
    Nothing wrong with it I suppose if that's your gig. I guess I'm used to proper sport shotgunning, ..... you know, with a stock and all.

I call BS on the percentage. :bs: You are welcome to come with me to Hopkins or Shraders next time we go, you hit 95 out of 100 birds with your gun and I'll GIVE you mine.;)

I'll take that bet. Can I use my gun though instead of his pistol grip :lol2:

KingCrabb

Dec 28, 2008
    North East, Cecil County
    When I go I take 90 between me and my buddy and do sets of 5. I don't miss much.
    You are right tho. 95 of 100 IS pretty good but i think I could do it if I had a day or two of practice.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    I have a fried i shoot with who brings his Saiga...it works fine for shooting clays. It takes a little getting used to with the sights as opposed to a nice ventrib but why not? Where/How else are you going to shoot birdshot? Most ranges will only allow slugs. Just my .02.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    When I go I take 90 between me and my buddy and do sets of 5. I don't miss much.
    You are right tho. 95 of 100 IS pretty good but i think I could do it if I had a day or two of practice.

having someone throw birds right next to you, and taking 20 yard shots is about as easy as it gets... I think you don't understand what he is talking about. He's talking about Sporting Clays.

Elk Neck's Clay shooting platforms have no bearing on the "real" clay shooting disciplines

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    having someone throw birds right next to you, and taking 20 yard shots is about as easy as it gets... I think you don't understand what he is talking about. He's talking about Sporting Clays.

Elk Neck's Clay shooting platforms have no bearing on the "real" clay shooting disciplines

How right you are!
    I shot at Elk Neck a few times and thought "hey I'm pretty good at this"
    Then I shot at the AGC trap range and reality set in.:sad20:
    night and day.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    How right you are!
    I shot at Elk Neck a few times and thought "hey I'm pretty good at this"
    Then I shot at the AGC trap range and reality set in.:sad20:
    night and day.

Uh huh! Now, come with me to M&M, Hopkins or Schraders.... Whole different story when they are coming from all different directions and speeds, not to mention whizzing across the ground past you.....

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Trap turns into a big time mental game more than the others, at least in my experiences. You get to the point where you shot all 25 at the 16 yard line. Then for most people; have a hard time replicating it.

Skeet is sort of the same way, but I find it to be a lot less monotonous than trap. I just find it to be extremely boring to shoot random outgoing birds. I never shoot doubles or wobble, but I've been back to the 27 yard line.

Sporting Clay is mental, but since you go from shooting incoming simo pairs to teals and rabbits, you definitely need a little finesse than your mental A-game.

I don't shoot competitions, other than charities so I can't comment on more than just for fun or practice experience.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    I'll take that bet. Can I use my gun though instead of his pistol grip :lol2:

I want to see this. I'll even give you an incentive. I'll pay you $25 a target for each one that you break at Hopkins or Schraders over the score of 90. You pay me $10 a bird for everything under 90. You can shoot whatever gun you want to shoot. When do you want to go?

ps. bring about $500 with you in ten dollar bills

mdshooterguy2820

Aug 26, 2011
    Joppa, MD
    Ha! No thanks. How do you know what gun I was offering anyway?:rolleyes:

Free Gun = winning any way I look at it :)

I want to see this. I'll even give you an incentive. I'll pay you $25 a target for each one that you break at Hopkins or Schraders over the score of 90. You pay me $10 a bird for everything under 90. You can shoot whatever gun you want to shoot. When do you want to go?

ps. bring about $500 with you in ten dollar bills

Nah, I just wanted to see if I could get his gun. Kingcrabb is pretty confident though. Maybe he is up for this with his pistol grip. :poke: We need a stirring the pot smiley :)

KingCrabb

Dec 28, 2008
    North East, Cecil County

Im sure you are right.
    We don't use hand throwers though. My buddy brings his launcher and we do 2 at a time and ever so often we change the direction it throws with out telling the shooter.
    No one specified where the event would take place. I was under the assumption it was at Elkneck.

And of course Im confident. Weren't all taught to be as kids?

Has anyone ever shot at omenland (spelling?) What is their set up like. I have been invited to go every sat but something always turns up.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Apples to oranges man. You're talking to guys who shoot with dedicated sporting shotguns.

I'm not going to out right say you're on a different level with clays, but that's what it is. No one is talking down to you, but people who shoot "the harder stuff" may get a little huffed up when someone who has never been or same experience has a little misunderstanding

You should give it a try sometime, but you will want something that can mount on your shoulder and have no goofy shotgun sights.

Being in north east doesn't matter, most of us drive distances to shoot. Its not like I live next to a grand shotgun shooting club

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    If you live in Northeast you should check out the Oxford Gun Club just up the road from Rising Sun MD--they do Sporting Clays there the 2nd and 4th Sunday of the month, they will give you a good taste of it ---however it is an addictive sport, and if you get hooked you will have to buy more guns, any excuse to buy more guns is a good one. It is a good club and they run a nice Clays course there.If you shoot with Blackthorne you will owe him $ at the end. By the way- it is a lot more interesting than shooting trap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom