• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    Thanks. I’ll try the water method I think. Didn’t want to try it without hearing from someone who has tried it. It’s my hens so supply really isn’t an issue. Actually producing way more than we can use and getting difficult to even give away to friends and family

Gordon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2011
    Baltimore City
    I recently reviewed how to freeze eggs and gave it a try. Crack each egg into a silicone muffin cup,freeze and vacuum seal, I tried a few of them recently from my October supply and they were fine. May try water glass method later. Harvest Right machine at a cost of $3,500+ not in the plan

Danimal619

May 31, 2023
    Edgewater
    B
    Filipinos have balut which is a fertilized egg close to hatching that is buried in the sand sometimes or steamed and then there's the 100-year-old egg that's Chinese that's not actually 100 years old. Just a couple of weeks and they're treated it with sodium hydroxide. Honestly I've never had the stomach for trying either because they both look and smell disgusting
    Balut is hardboiled. I sold a car to a girl from the Philippines who's parents loved me and came back with a bucket of Balut. I told them I'd try one, so I did.

It tastes like a crunchy hardboiled egg with a little organ meat taste. Not very pleasant.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    While I have heard about getting them unrefrigerated and dirty, or coating them in Vaseline, a guy I have sailed with didn't do much with his eggs except turn them over every other day, when he remembered. I'm sure he had more than a hundred living under the dinette, right next to all the booze. He bought them out of a US grocery store, already cleaned and refrigerated before sailing to the Bahamas. They lasted weeks at least. By the time I joined his boat the eggs where already a couple weeks old at least (I want to say three, but I don't completely remember). We were eating them three weeks after that. This was a very cold January, so even in the Bahamas it wasn't super hot, and I joined him for the return to Annapolis so perhaps you could call this partially refrigerated.

Regarding The Boat Galley link above, I actually talked to the very approachable author Lin Pardey (one half of a famous sailing couple, RIP her husband Larry) about a few things including food storage some years ago when I thought I was about to start some big sailing trips. She pretty much said that it wasn't that big a deal and that eggs tend to last a very long time with a modicum of care.

One recommendation, though, is to crack the eggs into a separate bowl first, not straight into a mix or frying pan. That way if you get a bad one you can just discard it without contaminating the meal.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    We water glass them. Pro tip: keep them in a see thru container. If the water gets cloudy, one has cracked and you should eat the others soon. We use empty containers from the Tastle brand instant coffee that I drink.

We have a chit load of eggs preserved like this.

3013EB94-93B9-4EA5-BE3F-38CDB7983960.jpeg

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Filipinos have balut which is a fertilized egg close to hatching that is buried in the sand sometimes or steamed and then there's the 100-year-old egg that's Chinese that's not actually 100 years old. Just a couple of weeks and they're treated it with sodium hydroxide. Honestly I've never had the stomach for trying either because they both look and smell disgusting
    Balut will put lead in your pencil and turn you into a sexual tyrannosaurus! :bannana: :D

PaFrank

Apr 2, 2020
    We preserve eggs using the hydrated lime method.
    Very important, you MUST use unwashed eggs, and pickling lime.
    You need to inspect the eggs carefully and make sure there are no cracks. even a fine hairline crack is bad and one cracked egg in your batch will ruin he whole batch.
    We have kept them for up to a year and they are just fine. Now you probably won't want to cook them sunny side up, the yolks get soft, but they are perfectly fine for baking and thats what the old lady uses them for.
    There are lots of videos and instructions online for preserving eggs in this manner, and if you have a source for fresh eggs, give it a try.

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    We preserve eggs using the hydrated lime method.
    Very important, you MUST use unwashed eggs, and pickling lime.
    You need to inspect the eggs carefully and make sure there are no cracks. even a fine hairline crack is bad and one cracked egg in your batch will ruin he whole batch.
    We have kept them for up to a year and they are just fine. Now you probably won't want to cook them sunny side up, the yolks get soft, but they are perfectly fine for baking and thats what the old lady uses them for.
    There are lots of videos and instructions online for preserving eggs in this manner, and if you have a source for fresh eggs, give it a try.
    Building that post count one at a time..

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The Ballad of Hard-Luck Henry is a poem written by Robert Service about long term storage of eggs during the gold rush in the Yukon. Here is Hank Snow's version for your listening pleasure.

PaFrank

Apr 2, 2020
    We have preserved eggs using a process called Water Glassing. we haven't kept them for more than 8 months but I'm told they can last up to a year and a half. It works best if you use pickling lime and distilled water but well water with no chemicals is just fine. No city water!
    the eggs need to be as fresh as you can get them and unwashed. You need to examine the eggs very carefully for any hairline cracks. One bad egg will ruin your whole batch so that important. Also if your chickens are "old" their eggs will have thin shells so you need to be careful how deep you load them in your container. they can crack under their own weight and ruin your batch.
    When you eat them its only scrambled. the yolks lose some of their consistency during preservation and look a bit pale but taste just fine. We use them mostly for baking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom