• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    ok the only problem is my my handgun paperwork is already gone, so no possible way for them to be on the same application.

First off, you should have read this forum BEFORE paying for these things. Holy smokes.

Now, you still have the ability to cancel the sale with the shop. If they did NOT tell you about all this, I would think they are being misleading at this point. Most dealers know that you will need a HQL to pick up post October 1, 2013 if they are going to wait for a ND from MSP to release the handgun to you. If they are not disclosing this to you and they are requiring a ND before releasing, then I think you have a pretty good chance of prevailing in a lawsuit.

If you do not want to go through the additional wait and hoops and cost of the HQL, you should go back to the shop and cancel the handgun purchase at the minimum. If they want to argue over it, ask them why they did not disclose that you would also need a HQL to pick up the handgun based upon current wait times for a ND and the recent AG opinion at the beginning of the month. Mention negligent representation and fraud if they really want to get fussy. I think dealers have a duty at this point to disclose to customers that the customer will need to get a HQL before they can pick up the firearm if the dealer is going to wait for an ND to come back. That much is pretty much certain at this point unless the MSP really pull off a miracle and get current with the Forms 77r in the next 30 days.

I'd let them sit on the lower in return for giving me a refund on the handgun. Then, I would buy the handgun from a dealer releasing on time or from gunbroker and send it to a dealer releasing on time.

If you do not mind waiting 120+ days for your handgun and spending additional time and money to get the HQL, disregard all the above.

brokenwing

Aug 17, 2013
    Carroll County
    First off, you should have read this forum BEFORE paying for these things. Holy smokes.

Now, you still have the ability to cancel the sale with the shop. If they did NOT tell you about all this, I would think they are being misleading at this point. Most dealers know that you will need a HQL to pick up post October 1, 2013 if they are going to wait for a ND from MSP to release the handgun to you. If they are not disclosing this to you and they are requiring a ND before releasing, then I think you have a pretty good chance of prevailing in a lawsuit.

If you do not want to go through the additional wait and hoops and cost of the HQL, you should go back to the shop and cancel the handgun purchase at the minimum. If they want to argue over it, ask them why they did not disclose that you would also need a HQL to pick up the handgun based upon current wait times for a ND and the recent AG opinion at the beginning of the month. Mention negligent representation and fraud if they really want to get fussy. I think dealers have a duty at this point to disclose to customers that the customer will need to get a HQL before they can pick up the firearm if the dealer is going to wait for an ND to come back. That much is pretty much certain at this point unless the MSP really pull off a miracle and get current with the Forms 77r in the next 30 days.

I'd let them sit on the lower in return for giving me a refund on the handgun. Then, I would buy the handgun from a dealer releasing on time or from gunbroker and send it to a dealer releasing on time.

If you do not mind waiting 120+ days for your handgun and spending additional time and money to get the HQL, disregard all the above.

I appreciate your insight trust me, and If i had known about this forum I would of done things differently. Unfortunately I did not find this wonderful forum till after the fact.

hawkeye86

May 15, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I know of one gun shop as of last week that was saying that whoever told me I'd need a HQL to pick up a handgun after Oct 1 was full of sh!t.

He's also not releasing on time but insisted I would have no problems as long as I purchased before Oct 1. Unfortunately he seems to be the only store that has a handgun that I want badly. It wasn't easy walking away knowing I may not get that gun until I move out of this state.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I know of one gun shop as of last week that was saying that whoever told me I'd need a HQL to pick up a handgun after Oct 1 was full of sh!t.

He's also not releasing on time but insisted I would have no problems as long as I purchased before Oct 1. Unfortunately he seems to be the only store that has a handgun that I want badly. It wasn't easy walking away knowing I may not get that gun until I move out of this state.

You cannot find the same gun on gunbroker.com or gunsamerica.com? I was a little hesitant to use either of them back in February, but I have probably done 10 transactions with gunbroker since then and I have ZERO complaints. Cannot imagine what that dealer has that you cannot find on the internet.

Just look for a reputable dealer on the internet with the firearm you want, buy it, and then have it shipped to an FFL that is doing an 8th day release.

If they other dealer wants to put his representation in writing as far as no HQL being needed if you pay for the firearm before October 1, 2013 and pickup after October 1, 2013, that might work if you are ultimately willing to get the HQL and be reimbursed by the dealer for a negligent misrepresentation. The Attorney General's letter opinion was pretty clear and that is how I have been reading the law since May.

brokenwing

Aug 17, 2013
    Carroll County
    I want to just say a quick thank you. I will be picking up my handgun this coming Tuesday, and my Lower Receiver in September. Thank you all for your advice, and answering all my questions.

hawkeye86

May 15, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Well, tried gunsamerica and it didn't go so well. I clicked the buy button then called the seller to make payment arrangements. The dealer said they didn't have one in stock. I noticed the same dealer had the same gun on Gunbroker with a 'Buy Now' $70 higher than the price I agreed to on gunsamerica. The Gunbroker auction ended a day later with a Buy Now. I would think if he didn't have the gun and realized the mistake he would have taken down the Gunbroker ad ASAP. I think he was holding out for a higher price.

I won an auction on Gunbroker for a different gun which was a no reserve auction. I ended up winning the auction for about $100 less than the retail price. Again I called to settle up and was told it just sold in the shop an hour ago. I realize its possible but it sounds fishy.

Maybe it's just my bad luck but I have lost any enthusiasm for these auction sites.

Anyone know where I can find a Springfield Lightweight Champion Operator? Does anyone have a suggestion of something similar I should look at? The Springfield just fit my hand so well. I think it was the way it was "dethroned".

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Well, tried gunsamerica and it didn't go so well. I clicked the buy button then called the seller to make payment arrangements. The dealer said they didn't have one in stock. I noticed the same dealer had the same gun on Gunbroker with a 'Buy Now' $70 higher than the price I agreed to on gunsamerica. The Gunbroker auction ended a day later with a Buy Now. I would think if he didn't have the gun and realized the mistake he would have taken down the Gunbroker ad ASAP. I think he was holding out for a higher price.

I won an auction on Gunbroker for a different gun which was a no reserve auction. I ended up winning the auction for about $100 less than the retail price. Again I called to settle up and was told it just sold in the shop an hour ago. I realize its possible but it sounds fishy.

Maybe it's just my bad luck but I have lost any enthusiasm for these auction sites.

Anyone know where I can find a Springfield Lightweight Champion Operator? Does anyone have a suggestion of something similar I should look at? The Springfield just fit my hand so well. I think it was the way it was "dethroned".

I would have bought the one advertised on Gunbroker and after he shipped it put a stop payment on the credit card, called him, and told him I would pay him the exact amount I bid on on gunsamerica for the gun. Not only that, but I would have thought long and hard about reporting him to gunsamerica too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom