• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    Hi All - I wanted to post about a FTF issue I have been working on for way too long. I have a EAA Witness Compact Poly .45. Gun is very accurate, and nice to shoot. With that said here is the problem over time that I have.

1 - Gun would FTF when shooting quickly, the round would nose up into the hood of the slide. Would happen at any point in the mag.

2 - I changed both mag springs and the issue seemed to have been resolved. This was like 2 years ago, and I haven't shot the gun again until recently.

3 - Gun began to FTF in the same manner as #1 above. My solution was to try the following: 1) New Mags, 2) new extractor spring, 3)new firing pin spring, 4) 18# recoil spring.

4 - Gun appeared to be working fine, with the new parts, except now the last round would FTF.

5 - Last night while trying to at least identify the problem what I did was remove the barrel, recoil spring, etc. Put spent casing in the mag, and worked the slide back to watch the stripping process. Amazingly I was able to replicate the problem of the bullet nosing up. Which leads me to what I believe is the real problem, that the rim of the round is not getting under the extractor, but rather is just getting jammed against it, not letting the back of the round rise up, and hence the front lifts and jams against the slide hood.

I'm really just looking for someone to read this, and provide any insight. I think my next step is to remove the extractor and check the edges, and possibly do some work on it. If that doesn't solve anything, I will consider going with a new extractor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom