• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Yes, the bridge is open now. They put in a temporary single-lane truss bridge where the old one crossed Red Creek. You have to stop and look across before you get to the bridge itself to make sure there is no oncoming traffic.

Have you been to the new pizza place in Thomas yet? We had a really good pie there on Saturday night. They use a wood-fired oven which is nice versus how they do things at Sirianni's. That said, I really thought it ironic that they don't use a coal-fired oven given the history of the town.

I was also interested to see that the bike shop in Davis is tripling in size at the moment. They've got the new addition framed out and wrapped. They'd better get it foamed and sided before long though, or they'll lose the wrap to the winter winds in short order.

Things seem to be picking back up in both towns recently. One of the outfitters in Canaan told us that business had tripled since Perfect North took over Timberline.
    No, haven't been to the new pizza joint. I'll have to give it a try.
    Thanks for the info about the bridge. Hopefully the animals haven't decimated the cranberries yet.
    This will be our 1st year with season passes at Timberline since PN took it over. I've been loyal to Canaan with season passes, but last year was run so awfully that we decided to forgo them this season.

10xclean

MDS Supporter
    Dec 23, 2008
    Kingsville
    got a 2200 sq ft brick rancher and 130 acres about 4 miles from Jordon Run Rd and Rte 42 (main road entrance to Dolly sods) Mother grew up on 300 acres + right off Jordon Run Road. I am there every other weekend. God's Country...

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I used to get my hair cut (when I had hair) by "Lefty" in Cass. The barber shop is still there, but Lefty passed on some years ago according to the folks I know. I know that Boyer Station was for sale some time ago (it even landed on Zillow!) but I'm not sure if someone bought it to keep it up, or nobody bought it and the owners have just kept it going. I love everything in that area of the state. There used to be a killer Mennonite-owned bakery on 66 right at Deer Creek just before you head over the mountain from Green Bank to Cass. When I lived at Snowshoe, you could go there and get a "meat and three" hot lunch for something like $6. Fried chicken, slow-simmered beans with bacon, mashed potatoes, and a biscuit with butter and honey was one of the usuals. They had the best pecan buns there as well. I hated to see that place go out, but it eventually did. The wife and I would pick up and move to the region if we could find work that would keep us in the style of living we are accustomed to. If only we had the winning lottery numbers for tonight!
    There was a time I would have loved to live there. But, same issue as you....limited work and nothing in my actual field (I managed a team of Mainframe Systems Programmers). But today, I wouldn't want to endure the cold and snow in winter. I used to love downhill skiing and got into cross country at times. I'm a bit old for all that these days with back problems so I gave all that up in my mind 50s. Then there is the issue that there is the really isn't a good hospital facility in the area and I have had a few issues that requires a good facility. For people that live local, there are lots of clinics. But most in the Greenbank/Arbovale area end up going to Elkins for more extensive workups. My Dad's cousin who passed from Cancer back about 2005 had to go to Roanoke for treatment and stayed in a Ronald McDonald house because he could drive back and forth. But, I still love to visit the area.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    There was a time I would have loved to live there. But, same issue as you....limited work and nothing in my actual field (I managed a team of Mainframe Systems Programmers). But today, I wouldn't want to endure the cold and snow in winter. I used to love downhill skiing and got into cross country at times. I'm a bit old for all that these days with back problems so I gave all that up in my mind 50s. Then there is the issue that there is the really isn't a good hospital facility in the area and I have had a few issues that requires a good facility. For people that live local, there are lots of clinics. But most in the Greenbank/Arbovale area end up going to Elkins for more extensive workups. My Dad's cousin who passed from Cancer back about 2005 had to go to Roanoke for treatment and stayed in a Ronald McDonald house because he could drive back and forth. But, I still love to visit the area.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Beautiful pictures! We have been out to the Canaan Valley often, but never hiked up to Dolly Sods. Maybe I will attempt a solo camping trip there. Isn't there a trailhead near the Whitegrass ski area? Where to leave the car would be a question. Good to hear about other wilderness areas nearby. The whole point is to get away from the crowd and I have no desire to run into members of the man bun generation. Thanks for the info!

vanquish1

MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2022
    Howard County
    Been there once as part of a search and rescue class at FCC nearly 30 years ago. We actually got a 1/2 of snow overnight in the summer. Amazing place. Also made a lot of trips to Seneca and Franklin on climbing trips.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Beautiful pictures! We have been out to the Canaan Valley often, but never hiked up to Dolly Sods. Maybe I will attempt a solo camping trip there. Isn't there a trailhead near the Whitegrass ski area? Where to leave the car would be a question. Good to hear about other wilderness areas nearby. The whole point is to get away from the crowd and I have no desire to run into members of the man bun generation. Thanks for the info!
    CR/FSR 80 which is just north of Whitegrass leads up the mountain to the Blackbird Knob trailhead just the other side of the peak on Herz Mountain where Timberline is located. A dear friend of mine, Charlie Wright, who was a legend at Timberline when he was still alive, used to cross-country ski up the mountain from Whitegrass and then telemark down the slopes at Timberline. He could get away with it because he was a telemark instructor and also held a season pass every year for every ski area in the valley. If you look at Satellite maps of the area, there are several trails that come within a stone's throw of the top of the mountain at Timberline.

Staccato2011

Jan 18, 2023
    Dunkirk
    Your pictures are beautiful! Our family loves that area... we discovered Canaan Valley a few years back and Dolly Sods is along the way. My wife has explored it more than me, but we're hoping to encourage the kids to "enjoy" hiking with their parents this Spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom