• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sep 4, 2010
    Centreville
    I killed a doe right at dark. It took me two hours to find her. I gutted her and thought her tail looked odd. I dragged her out and got her to the butcher. Once i saw her in the light, I was thoroughly confused.

The doe had a black tail. She was two toned..all black on top and gray on bottom. She had spots and looked like a sika deer except she was 103 pounds.

The butcher started taking pics and trying to figure it out.

The only thing we could come up with was that it was a sika and whitetail crossbred??? In Talbot County?

Attachments

• CAM00115.jpg
      CAM00115.jpg
      87.3 KB · Views: 558
    • CAM00116.jpg
      CAM00116.jpg
      64.8 KB · Views: 560

tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    kinda strange ear set for a whitetail, looks sika-ish, but it looks like her tail might have broken off and the coloration is weird as well for a whitetail... it's the Chupacornbra...

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    I'd say simply a color mutation. I don't think whitetails and sika can interbreed, otherwise you would see it out west where there are many more elk and the ranges cross.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I didn't think my Eastern Corn and Texas Rat could breed successfully until I saw a clutch of 14 eggs in her cage.

I don't see why a Sika and a Whitetail couldn't make that leap.

Fallow deer below. Same colors, but head doesn't match.

fallow 2.jpg

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    It probably is a fallow deer in that area... I have hunted them for years over there on a buddy's lease.. apparently they escaped from a nearby preserve and love the habitat.. I have seen some really nice fallow deer taken on the shore in this area... ;)

Those colorations are also strikingly similar to a sika deer in the coat..

dckhd247

Jul 23, 2014
    WT and sika can't breed. Sika is an elk.

Not sure if it's fallow but the black can mean its melanistic. Piebald are albinistic.

Sep 4, 2010
    Centreville
    So apparently a FALLOW Deer...Sticky you are correct! Much like Sika deer, a herd of Fallow Deer escaped their pen in Talbot County and have bred like rabbits in Longwoods. So certainly my first and now I will be on the lookout for a Buck.

I am going to get the Hide tanned.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    So apparently a FALLOW Deer...Sticky you are correct! Much like Sika deer, a herd of Fallow Deer escaped their pen in Talbot County and have bred like rabbits in Longwoods. So certainly my first and now I will be on the lookout for a Buck.

I am going to get the Hide tanned.
    The lease I used to hunt was very close to Longwoods... that would be a fallow deer if you are hunting in that area for sure.. ;)

There are some really nice fallow stags around there too, keep a sharp eye... Cool thing about fallow deer there is that you may see em brown, black, white, all color phases, nothing like you'll ever see in a whitetail or Sika..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom