Do you have a NJ Carry Permit? Read This!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I am sharing this from a NJ FB Page. If you have a NJ Permit to Carry, you need to know this.

URGENT NOTICE REGARDING PERMIT TO CARRY WHO HAVE NOT YET MET THE NJ CCARE REQUIREMENTS

Ladies and Gentlemen... Today is December 18th. Including today, there are 13 days (2 weeks) remaining to be certified for the CCARE requirements to keep your already issued PTC active. If you completed firearms training prior to July 1, 2023, and your permit to carry does not expire until after December 22, 2023, you MUST requalify on the CCARE protocol issued September 15, 2023 or have been requalified on the HQC2-modified protocol issued on July 21, 2023 if your instruction was not deemed "substantially similar" to HQC2-Modified, and you have PROOF of this compliance.
    The minimum standard is:
    -A minimum of 50 scored rounds per participant.
    -Minimum passage score of 80% using an FBI type Q target. At least 10 rounds must be from the 15, 10, 7, 5, and 3 yard lines each, or if fewer rounds were fired from those distances, the remaining rounds must have been fired from greater distances (Further distances for substantially similar courses ONLY. After September 15th ONLY CCARE IS ACCEPTED)
    -The participant must demonstrate safe holstering and unholstering during the shooting course, which must include safely drawing the weapon from a secured holster before firing at each of the required distances and reholstering after completing the round.
    -The participant must demonstrate proficient and safe reloading during the shooting course.

If your previously completed training was deemed "Substantially Similar" by meeting all of the above requirements, you may require a SP182 form certifying that fact to be provided by your instructor, and should check with them. Note that holster draw must take place as part of the qualification, a separate holster draw class is NOT valid to satisfy that requirement. Any certification or recertification done after CCARE was released September 15th may ONLY BE CCARE!

If you HAVE NOT received substantially similar training prior to September 15, 2023 (CCARE issuance date), you MUST complete the CCARE protocol and deliver form SP182 to your issuing authority NO LATER than December 31, 2023.

ANY PERMIT HOLDER WHO HAS NOT FULFILLED THIS REQUIREMENT WILL HAVE THEIR PERMIT REVOKED BY THE STATE.

The CCARE also requires a separate NJ Use of Force Class.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    My nephew had just posted this on his Facebook page.
    I hate that F'n state and wish I could convince all of my family to move.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    My nephew had just posted this on his Facebook page.
    I hate that F'n state and wish I could convince all of my family to move.
    The ONLY positive thing I can say about having to requalify, is that it will still be valid for my renewal in October 2024.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Hey Chad, on a side note, which "non hollow" hollow points have you decide for NJ? Hornady duty or defense?
    I have both, but that's what I have full time. I do have some of the extreme penetrators for giggles.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Hey Chad, on a side note, which "non hollow" hollow points have you decide for NJ? Hornady duty or defense?
    I have both, but that's what I have full time. I do have some of the extreme penetrators for giggles.
    I have used both the Critical Duty and Critical Defense. I used them as my regular carry around since I don't often have time to swap ammo before going to New Jersey. Initially I was scared to use any type of hollow points but the New Jersey State Police listed that those rounds were okay on their website.

I don't feel a significant difference in them from a firing standpoint. On the receiving end it may be a different story, but I'm not an expert on ballistics.

My regular carry gun is a G19 and my wife is a G43X. My wifes 43X has been magnaported

I'm open hearing your input if you've seen any difference in the two rounds.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    On a separate note I have noticed that any of the polymer tip self-defense ammo tends to have more projectile setback if you try to rechamber.

Having a finely polished feeding ramp does minimize this.

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I have used both the Critical Duty and Critical Defense. I used them as my regular carry around since I don't often have time to swap ammo before going to New Jersey. Initially I was scared to use any type of hollow points but the New Jersey State Police listed that those rounds were okay on their website.

I don't feel a significant difference in them from a firing standpoint. On the receiving end it may be a different story, but I'm not an expert on ballistics.

My regular carry gun is a G19 and my wife is a G43X. My wifes 43X has been magnaported

I'm open hearing your input if you've seen any difference in the two rounds.
    The only difference I know is what they market. The Duty rounds are apparently loaded better for penetration of glass and wood. Lord knows I have them both mixed and matched in my mags.
    I'm sure either are both fine for us regular guys.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The only difference I know is what they market. The Duty rounds are apparently loaded better for penetration of glass and wood. Lord knows I have them both mixed and matched in my mags.
    I'm sure either are both fine for us regular guys.
    Good to know. Thank you

I mistakenly ordered some of the pink tipped Hornady. I think it's called "lite".

I bought every variant for our guns to see if there was anything the guns preferred. The pink stuff had milder recoil and didn't run well in a ported 43X.

light12pdr

MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2015
    I did the requalification. If you are proficient with a handgun, it should be easy for you.

While I hated having to do it after already having a permit, I have to admit that, in my opinion, the training is useful, and in my mind, necessary for many. I have observed persons with permits who do not handle their firearms well.

In this updated training class, you have to demonstrate that you can safely handle a handgun, load/unload it, pull from concealment, and hit a target at various ranges and re-holster. You also review carry laws and are instructed on use of force. From my understanding, the NJ use of force training was mainly warning you that you can only use deadly force as an absolute last resort.

I think for many of us these tasks are easy but not for everyone. I saw some of my classmates having difficulty with the holster draw. In fact, some of them had never used a holster! What??? One person brought a revolver with an 8" barrel and a cheap 1970s era floppy leather holster. It seemed that his hand went above his head before that pistol cleared the holster. Luckily, he also had a 1911.

I have heard it said that any training is good. While I don't think training should be mandatory to possess a firearm, I believe that if you are going to conceal it, and potentially use it for self defense, training is paramount.

Oh, and once you have the updated training, you simply send the papers to the Police Station you applied to.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I'm curious though if any non-nj residents risk any problems if they go into NJ for the training and don't immediately leave the state.
    The NJ law is strict if you don't have a permit. You essentially have to go straight from home (let's just assume anywhere out of NJ) to the range and right back. If someone were to go on a family visit and do the training while there over a weekend there could be potential issues.

I'm not aware if the law was amended or any case law where a hotel or family's home would temporarily qualify as a residence in this case.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Good to know. Thank you

I mistakenly ordered some of the pink tipped Hornady. I think it's called "lite".

The pink tipped Lite , in either 9mm or
    38 Spl is loaded down to .380 acp ballistics . ( Actually filling a niche for a certain need .)

I haven't tested it extensively , but a butt ton of independent testers have . Consistently as Blaster observed . C
    Duty a bit more penetration of barriers and a bit deeper in flesh simulation. C. Defense a hair more expansion, and medium penetration in flesh simulation.

And on the theme of NJ compliance ammo .

CorBon PowerBall . The original design that Hornaday ripped off for their Critical D & D .

PB - Lots of expansion, penetration at lower end of accepted range . ( Not a slam .) Round Nose profile for reliable feeding in virtually any pistol .

Federal EFMJ , also known as Gaurd Dog . Externally looks like a flat nose FMJ . If you didn't load it yourself and read the box , you'd swear it was fmj .

Performance is ....... A lot better than FMJ :) . Reliable feeding in any pistol that will feed flat nose fmj .

Performance is " low average " compared to HP's in that caliber, but maximum stealth for N.J.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom