• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    What's an easier reach than on your hip?
    One on the desk in front of me that doesn't need to clear a holster or cover garment.

Given that I have layers of HD heads up - location (rural location with 250 yard uphill driveway), cams, alarm, dog (that really hates people approaching the house), I'm not really worried about having to speed draw from the hip in the abode.

Last edited:

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    One on the desk in front of me that doesn't need to clear a holster or cover garment.
    What do you do when you have to go to the bathroom, one on the back of the toilet? Or when you're grilling a fat steak out on the deck, have one in the kitchen where you're prepping the asparagus that goes with it and then one on the kitchen table and one on the Lazyboy on the way to the deck and another outside on the pic a nic table next to the grill?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    What time do y'all take your gun off your hip at night? You know, I guess what time do you feel safe enough to take it off?
    Certainly you sit with your back against a wall too, right? Watch the doors, like at a restaurant.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Inside the house absolutely not, it comes off as soon as I walk in the door. I'm sure it's pretty common for young rookies but with experience they outgrow it. I don't have that kind of fear on duty actually responding to stuff, no way I'm going to live in fear off duty inside my own home.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    What do you do when you have to go to the bathroom, one on the back of the toilet? Or when you're grilling a fat steak out on the deck, have one in the kitchen where you're prepping the asparagus that goes with it and then one on the kitchen table and one on the Lazyboy on the way to the deck and another outside on the pic a nic table next to the grill?
    That's what having a robust home security set up is for. It doesn't really buy physical security, it buys time.

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    There is only 1 place a person should feel safe, and that's home. Other than wearing it around the house when you are new to learn for a week or so, is one thing. But if you carry in your house in your holster for home defense, then you have some serious issues. I'm not saying if you have only 1 pistol and you carry it from the living room to the bedroom so it's nearby, that's different.
    Get your head checked if you are "packing heat" throughout the house.
    Get your head checked might be a bit extreme. It might be a sign you need to move, though.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    No children in our home - only me and her.
    Loaded G19s hidden but readily accessible in almost every room.
    Even have one in the $hitter - I saw what happened to Travolta in Pulp Fiction

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    I carry sometimes at home. For reasons. But mostly not. I'd probably do it more but the wife wouldn't like it. I'd conceal it from her but I don't always wear enough clothes at home.

Ok. The reasons: Am I askeared? Not really, though I have "cleared" the house a few times after wifey heard a noise. Mostly I do it 'cause I can and no one can tell me not to. 'cept the wife, of course.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Brand used to be called Thunderwear. I'm not kidding.
    JHC... it's essentially an appendix carry codpiece and is apparently still around.

https://www.thunderwearholsters.com/

1664238991136.png

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I live in a very safe area but with certain exceptions I'm Pants On Guns On. That's not saying that I never pad downstairs on the weekends with a pair of pj pants on or go to events where I will have more than one adult beverage and I don't carry or go to events or places that are GFZs and I simply can't.

What I carry is comfortable enough that it doesn't bother me to carry it 16 hours a day so why not? I have a fire extinguisher on three floors of the house even though the chances of me needing it on the bedroom level are far less than the one in the kitchen or basement.

Homes in nicer safer neighborhoods DO have home invasions, no area is exempt. Are some areas safer? Absolutely. Is the chance of home invasion in your 'hood absolutely zero? Absolutely not.

And telling someone that they should move or get their heads examined if they choose to carry in their homes is just rude IMO.

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    I live in a very safe area but with certain exceptions I'm Pants On Guns On. That's not saying that I never pad downstairs on the weekends with a pair of pj pants on or go to events where I will have more than one adult beverage and I don't carry or go to events or places that are GFZs and I simply can't.

What I carry is comfortable enough that it doesn't bother me to carry it 16 hours a day so why not? I have a fire extinguisher on three floors of the house even though the chances of me needing it on the bedroom level are far less than the one in the kitchen or basement.

Homes in nicer safer neighborhoods DO have home invasions, no area is exempt. Are some areas safer? Absolutely. Is the chance of home invasion in your 'hood absolutely zero? Absolutely not.

And telling someone that they should move or get their heads examined if they choose to carry in their homes is just rude IMO.
    You're right. That being said, I used to live in Baltimore and was starting to feel like I needed to carry at home and have bars on the windows, so we moved.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Also pro tip .... don't make your practice at home weekend the same as your "heavy yard work" weekend.

I dunno . I packed while shoveling out the barn , to shoot the quick moving jumbo rats that are my grain , and chewed my tack .

Pro tip - don't shoot 9mm +P+ inside a barn , without ear pro . .45Colt with the lower muzzle pressure is much more forgiving .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No children in our home - only me and her.
    Loaded G19s hidden but readily accessible in almost every room.
    Even have one in the $hitter - I saw what happened to Travolta in Pulp Fiction

But what about John Wayne in Big Jake ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom