• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD

Hope the link works. DNR is asking anyone who spots wild turkeys between now and August 31 to report them on this form.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    Apparently turkey populations are down across the country. Keep hearing more and more of this. I thought their numbers were good but apparently not so much.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Since they nest on the ground and there are an S Ton of feral hogs and re-introduced coyotes, it doesn't surprised me.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Apparently turkey populations are down across the country. Keep hearing more and more of this. I thought their numbers were good but apparently not so much.
    Yeah, starting to be an item of major concern nationwide. Current running hypothesis is that population counts use flawed estimation methods, like by as much as 50%, which means we’ve been over harvesting in an era when predatory populations are making incredible comebacks. Unfortunately for people who came up in the 90s and 2000s golden age of turkey hunting, harsh bag limits, lotteries, and moratoriums on any hunting at all are probably going to feature heavily into the next 10-20 years.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Yeah, starting to be an item of major concern nationwide. Current running hypothesis is that population counts use flawed estimation methods, like by as much as 50%, which means we’ve been over harvesting in an era when predatory populations are making incredible comebacks. Unfortunately for people who came up in the 90s and 2000s golden age of turkey hunting, harsh bag limits, lotteries, and moratoriums on any hunting at all are probably going to feature heavily into the next 10-20 years.
    I was shocked as heck when I saw my first turkey in the mid 90s in Washington County. Deer used to be hard to find once upon a time. Now, hey are everywhere.

We already have a terrible limit on Canada geese. Pretty soon, it will just be dove, snow geese, and deer.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    10-20 years ago I would see groups of 15-25 turkey on my deer hunting days.
    This was in Crofton and SOMD.
    As late as 6-8 years ago I would see 10-15 on my property in SOMD,,
    I have not seen a turkey here in 5 years, they just disappeared.

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Turkeys don't acclamate to suburban life like the predators. Habitat is going away quickly.
    It's amazing, the development going on 3/301 Gambrels south to LaPlata. Makes me sad.

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Interesting. We are seeing turkey in the Bel Air/Havre de Grace area for the first time in decades.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I see turkey all the time in southern Maryland. And the flock on the farm in WVa is getting bigger every year now that we're trying to control the coyotes.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I'm seeing them more and more frequent in Carroll County.
    I saw a hen turkey a couple months ago on Salem Bottom Road. Couple weeks later I saw a cock pheasant running right behind the guardrail on route 26 just east of route 27. Almost slammed on the brakes to try and get a picture but then thought better of it with somebody right behind me.

Pretty sure the turkey was a wild turkey. Guessing the pheasant was pen raised and got out somehow.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Does anyone hunt fur/predators anymore? This seems to be something that should be re-emphasized as part of managing wildlife populations. On my little property I trap foxes and raccoons...it seems we have an unlimited supply of these and I'm sure they love eating turkey and duck eggs.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Does anyone hunt fur/predators anymore? This seems to be something that should be re-emphasized as part of managing wildlife populations. On my little property I trap foxes and raccoons...it seems we have an unlimited supply of these and I'm sure they love eating turkey and duck eggs.
    If I had the access or the land I would. We have a Vixen and her three kits (who are already almost as big as she is!) in our back woods. Adorable to watch, they don't bother my chickens (who are in an enclosed coop and run that even Racoons can't get in...anymore). If they did, I'd eliminate them. But they keep the mice and squirrels in check. I noticed last year we had about 3x the squirrel population with sometimes a dozen of them crawling around my backyard, deck, and around my bird feeders (that they can't get up to). This spring? Maybe 3-4 at peak squirrel time at most. Usually just 1-2. The fox are for sure berry heavy right now looking at the scat.

I get a game camera grab of a coyote about once a season on my 4.5 acres. If I saw one, I'd shoot it right away. If I had a much bigger property I probably would try some fox trapping/hunting and especially coyote hunting. Not non-existent, but not a ton of coyotes in rural Howard County till you start getting out into Frederick.

Racoons I plan to trap later this summer/early fall. They keep trying to get into my chickens. They've managed to twice taking out on bird once, and then 5 birds with one injured that later died about 6 months later almost certainly as a result of never healing right. Finally found all of the vulnerabilities in the enclosed run. So that stopped. But I have game camera pictures of 4-6 of them at a time messing with my deer feeder. I'll probably make a hat or two this fall if I am able to.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Yes,
    Around my home it’s the eagles that are reducing the numbers to a certain extent.
    They’re all over the place, the eagles, other birds of prey and not to mention poachers.
    Too many hens killed of near bait piles during current fall season/ out of town hunters etc.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD

Count is active again through the end of August

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member