• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Teflon

Aug 5, 2013
    Hagerstown
    So, I finally broke down and bought a Magnum powder bar (PN 21353) for my Dillon, which is an older RL450B, in order to make it easier to drop powder for my 7mm Rem Mag rounds (before I had to max out the Large bar and trickle the rest in). However, today when I went to install it, I found out it doesn't fit into the powder base; it's too wide:

Upon measuring it, I find it measures 0.832" and the other powder bars measure 0.738" (Large on the left in the photo above, Magnum on the right). It's clear that the square hole in the powder base is closer to 0.750". Anyone run into this issue before? Are all new bases from Dillon now running bigger, and I'll just have two bases? Or would I need a new hopper as well as other pieces to make it work?

I'm not seeing any base parts for the RL450, it seems like it has been superseded by the RL550; but the 550 has an automatic powder system whereas mine is manual. If I just buy the 550 base without getting the auto-powder kit, could I still operate the magnum bar manually? Trying not to buy the entire auto-powder kit if I don't have to, but the magnum bar definitely won't work with my current base.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Looks like you may have to go strait to the source and call Dillon with that one. All mention of the 450 point to upgrade parts.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have heard that Dillon changed the design of the powder measure.

So call them, and tell them you have a 450 and about how old it is.

They will take care of you.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I have heard that Dillon changed the design of the powder measure.

So call them, and tell them you have a 450 and about how old it is.

They will take care of you.

The last powder measure that I got from Dillon, had different linkage(s), etc.

I haven't sat down to 'analyze' the differences between the 'old' and 'new' powder measures.

:shrug:

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    The last powder measure that I got from Dillon, had different linkage(s), etc.

I haven't sat down to 'analyze' the differences between the 'old' and 'new' powder measures.

:shrug:

I believe the newer model powder measures have linkage that makes sure the measure goes closed on the return stroke.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    So, I finally broke down and bought a Magnum powder bar (PN 21353) for my Dillon, which is an older RL450B, in order to make it easier to drop powder for my 7mm Rem Mag rounds (before I had to max out the Large bar and trickle the rest in). However, today when I went to install it, I found out it doesn't fit into the powder base; it's too wide:

Upon measuring it, I find it measures 0.832" and the other powder bars measure 0.738" (Large on the left in the photo above, Magnum on the right). It's clear that the square hole in the powder base is closer to 0.750". Anyone run into this issue before? Are all new bases from Dillon now running bigger, and I'll just have two bases? Or would I need a new hopper as well as other pieces to make it work?

I'm not seeing any base parts for the RL450, it seems like it has been superseded by the RL550; but the 550 has an automatic powder system whereas mine is manual. If I just buy the 550 base without getting the auto-powder kit, could I still operate the magnum bar manually? Trying not to buy the entire auto-powder kit if I don't have to, but the magnum bar definitely won't work with my current base.

I have a 450 also, all I ever use it for is 38 waddcutters , Mine has a Dillon manual powder measure and its completly a different housing than my 550 or 650 press's.

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    If you haven't spoken with Dillon personally, I highly recommend it. They are top notch and will work do whatever it takes to get you up and running. Wait times were crazy last summer but they are easier to get now.

Teflon

Aug 5, 2013
    Hagerstown
    Thanks everyone, I'll contact Dillon.

If you haven't spoken with Dillon personally, I highly recommend it. They are top notch and will work do whatever it takes to get you up and running. Wait times were crazy last summer but they are easier to get now.

I tried to get them on the phone today (around 5PM EST), found I was 33rd in their queue. Waited for 10 min and only made it to 25th, so I decided to send an email to Tech Support instead. They indicated they have "higher than average call volume" right now; not sure if that's just the new year, a Monday, or what.

I have a 450 also, all I ever use it for is 38 waddcutters , Mine has a Dillon manual powder measure and its completly a different housing than my 550 or 650 press's.

Multiple Dillons? :bowdown: Here I am trying to cheap out and avoid buying a whole new powder measure kit.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Thanks everyone, I'll contact Dillon.

I tried to get them on the phone today (around 5PM EST), found I was 33rd in their queue. Waited for 10 min and only made it to 25th, so I decided to send an email to Tech Support instead. They indicated they have "higher than average call volume" right now; not sure if that's just the new year, a Monday, or what.

Multiple Dillons? :bowdown: Here I am trying to cheap out and avoid buying a whole new powder measure kit.

LOL... they tend to grow, I bought my 450 in the early 80s from Rockville Atlantic right after they opened that store, And my 550 ten years or so later instead of sending my 450 back and get it upgraded. Then a few years later I walked into a gun store in Annapolis and they had a lightly used 650 with every option including a round counter, 4 or 5 powder measures and 9 or 10 conversions with Dillon dies and a bag of spare parts. It was for sale for under 500 bucks and I said to the man behind the counter ' Do you take Visa ? '

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Then a few years later I walked into a gun store in Annapolis and they had a lightly used 650 with every option including a round counter, 4 or 5 powder measures and 9 or 10 conversions with Dillon dies and a bag of spare parts. It was for sale for under 500 bucks and I said to the man behind the counter ' Do you take Visa ? '

I HATE you.

:)

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    LOL... they tend to grow, I bought my 450 in the early 80s from Rockville Atlantic right after they opened that store, And my 550 ten years or so later instead of sending my 450 back and get it upgraded. Then a few years later I walked into a gun store in Annapolis and they had a lightly used 650 with every option including a round counter, 4 or 5 powder measures and 9 or 10 conversions with Dillon dies and a bag of spare parts. It was for sale for under 500 bucks and I said to the man behind the counter ' Do you take Visa ? '

Roaddawg ... arrest that man!!!! :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom