• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    The rod no longer swivels in the handle. I dripped some Kroil where the metal hub meets the handle, but the only way I can get it to turn is to put the hub in a vise.
    I unscrewed the back end cap. There are some ball bearings down there, but I didn't see how it comes apart. The rod itself, unscrews at the front of the handle.

Dewey has a contact form on their website, but I have not heard back.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    There is a retaining nut at the back end of the handle that requires a spanner wrench. I have a couple that have stopped spinning over the years, but I never bothered trying to fix one due to thinking it wouldn't be easy or worth it.

ETA: The problem IS the ball bearings, probably in the front set where they carry the most pressure.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Just push the rod in with the palm of your hand and it will spin.
    No that's my problem, it does not spin unless you stick it in a vice and turn the handle with enough force that you fart.
    The real problem is the jags and the brushes spin off in a couple strokes. As I use the same rod for several calibers, loctite isn't a good option.

I will take it apart tomorrow and take pictures as requested. The ball bearings are small, #8 shot by eyeing them. I have a spanner wrench so we shall see. I can buy a new handle from Dewey, but the shipping is more than the handle. Less than a new rod, and I like my Tipton better.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I took one of mine apart and drilled the portion where the bearings ride in the handle deeper. Then, I fitted a washer inside for the bearings to ride on. Lightly lubed and reassembled. Really smooth now! Have not had an issue since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom