Democratic Countries Consider Banning End to End encryption for citizens.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Coming to a democracy near you.

Leaked Government Document Shows Spain Wants to Ban End-to-End Encryption

Also

Britain is writing the playbook for dictators
    The Online Safety Bill is a model for stripping citizens of their privacy.

In both cases the EU and UK are considering laws which would make all personality encrypted direct communication illegal. Basically, apps like Signal and What’s App. These laws are presented as providing law enforcement with the ability to thwart Child Sex trafficking, by requiring service providers to automatically monitor communications between private individuals for illegal activity.

If these measures pass in Europe, I would expect Canada will follow suit shortly thereafter.

How about the U.S.A. Consider that there is no stated right to privacy in the constitution. Our perceived right to privacy and only an implied right to privacy, derived from various bill of rights amendments. It first constitutional test occurring only in 1965 when SCOTUS ruled on Griswold v. Connecticut. Some legal scholars believe that that ruling was actually quite a stretch and really on shaky ground. Potential even weaker than Roe v Wade.

Should the government pass laws in the U.S. to ban private encryption, how likely do you think it would be for SCOTUS to find that act unconstitutional? Since Griswald was such a connect the dots stretch, I think it’s highly likely that SCOTUS would not be able to rule against laws banning encryption.

I predict that just as we have seen the actual constitutional right to bear arms whittled away over the years, we will surely see an attack on private communications in the coming decade.

The impact on personal freedom could be devastating to our society.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Let’s not forget how the SCOTUS handled all of the New Deal era laws.

I’ll use whatever software or encryption that I think is appropriate for me. I doubt our forefathers would think otherwise.

Almost reminds me of using S Tools to imbed hidden text into JPEG files back in the day to pass messages to classmates.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Let’s not forget how the SCOTUS handled all of the New Deal era laws.

I’ll use whatever software or encryption that I think is appropriate for me. I doubt our forefathers would think otherwise.

Almost reminds me of using S Tools to imbed hidden text into JPEG files back in the day to pass messages to classmates.

I would say Privacy is something that we all take for granted, and it could disappear in the blink of an eye.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    I would say Privacy is something that we all take for granted, and it could disappear in the blink of an eye.

It's largely an illusion at this point already for most people. It is difficult to maintain privacy now-a-days. Unless you live like a hermit, I suppose. Most people have willingly given it up at this point. Sad, really.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
    Ronald Reagan

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom