• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I was hunting in Virginia, walking past some very this brush/overgrowth when I heard a deer snort - it was like he was snorting directly at me. The brush was so thick I could not see the deer and I guess it is possible he could not see me either.

If I snorted back would he come out and say "Hi"? Unfortunately, I don't speak deer. Do they sell deer calls like duck calls?

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    Deer snorts are a sign of alarm. They will blow on smell alone, but their smell is better than our eyes so they dont have to see you at all. Snorting back might make them stop but very doubtful they would come. Generally they flag and run.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Sometimes deer get confused. If it was stomping while it was snorting, it was trying to figure out what you were.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Sometimes they do...sometimes not.
    :thumbsup:
    Sometimes deer get confused. If it was stomping while it was snorting, it was trying to figure out what you were.

:thumbsup:
    Most the time they alerted on you by either smell, sound or sight...That particular deer typically runs off after they snort...and alerts any deer close to your presence...but if you have time to wait it out you can usually get the same deer or a different deer to come in later.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    During the rut I use a snort wheeze call and if there is a buck in the area it will come running in. I was a non believer in deer calls until 6 years ago. I was hunting our property up in Deep Creek and I heard all kinds of commotion and then a bunch of rattling like someone was sitting next to me rattling. It was dark and I was like "who is this jackhole f'n around this early and they are on our property". A few min later here come 2 bucks going at it right in 20 feet in front of me. Needless to say one got his ass handed to him, had a compound fracture in his front leg and I put him out of his misery.
    But anyways I went out and bought a snort wheeze call and the next day gave it a shot and that big buck that was fighting the morning before came troting in on a straight line at me.
    I have had this happen 4 other times with the call. I does however have to be the right time of the season to get action off of it, otherwise it just scares them off. It especially runs off the does.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    A dear friend of mine died last year of lung cancer. She swore up and down that she killed 3 bucks after farting.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I was hunting in Virginia, walking past some very this brush/overgrowth when I heard a deer snort - it was like he was snorting directly at me. The brush was so thick I could not see the deer and I guess it is possible he could not see me either.

If I snorted back would he come out and say "Hi"? Unfortunately, I don't speak deer. Do they sell deer calls like duck calls?

Was it a grunt, or a snort? Did it sound like a low velocity fart(a grunt)? Or, did it sound like someone trying to blow out the worlds worst bugger(a snort)?
    The grunt probably would have been a "who's there?" kinda thing. The snort would've been a "Hey, everybody run for it! there's a freekin human over here!"

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Was it a grunt, or a snort? Did it sound like a low velocity fart(a grunt)? Or, did it sound like someone trying to blow out the worlds worst bugger(a snort)?
    The grunt probably would have been a "who's there?" kinda thing. The snort would've been a "Hey, everybody run for it! there's a freekin human over here!"

I think it was more of a snort. That brush area was fairly small - if I had it to do over I would have waited, motionless, a bit longer to see what happened. Instead, I tried to move more up wind and circle around to the other side of the brush - it probably heard every step.

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    A little known fact about deer. When they snort or blow they are actually clearing out they 're nostrils to get a better whif of what they have alerted on. Kinda like cleansing the palate so to speak. If you ever notice they will sometimes blow several times and move to get to the downwind side for a better sniff if they aren't sure what's up. Good luck hunting. :thumbsup:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Deer snorts are a sign of alarm. They will blow on smell alone, but their smell is better than our eyes so they dont have to see you at all. Snorting back might make them stop but very doubtful they would come. Generally they flag and run.

This. There are grunts and snorts. A grunt is a call to attract deer. A snort is a call to warn other deer in the area of danger. If a deer is snorting, it is because he/she is on alert. Same goes for stomping on the ground. Snorting, stomping, and raised white tails mean the deer is uncomfortable and on high alert.

So, if you snorted back that deer probably would have taken off because another snort would confirm its fear by another "deer".

There are tons of grunts calls out there. Some even bleat like fawns/younger deer. Deep grunts are made by mature bucks.

Anyway, good luck with the hunting season.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Now, if he said Tf-Tf-Tf-Tffffffffffff. That means "I'm lookin' for a little whoop-a$$!"

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I just got a deer call from the first time and I'm actually impressed with it. It's just a grunt call, but can be adjusted to sound like a deer of any age or sex. I got it for $8 from Dick's, so I didn't expect much but it actually works.

I have never come across a call that can make that alarm/snort/sneer type of sound. I've tried making that sound myself with no luck. The sound almost sounds like you're rolling a remote controlled toy car backwards quickly--kind of like if my dog sneezed really hard.

If the deer was stomping on the ground he was probably trying to figure out what you were and also warning his friends in the area. That's their way of saying, "hey you guys!!! What the F is this?!! Let's get out of here!"

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have never come across a call that can make that alarm/snort/sneer type of sound. I've tried making that sound myself with no luck. The sound almost sounds like you're rolling a remote controlled toy car backwards quickly--kind of like if my dog sneezed really hard.

I don't think you want to make that sound. Deer run away from that sound. The closest I've come to making that sound is by sniffing real hard through your nose. Just messing around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom