• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    My AR currently has a 16"heavy barrel, but I would like a rifle length 20" barrel upper too. Mainly I guess for range use, but of course to double if ever needed for defense. I was looking at just buying a 20" Hbar rifle, but the ones I am looking at, I can't afford, and don't have the room for another rifle.

Delton specs
    About20" Pre-Ban Heavy Profile Flat Top Barrel Assembly
    STANDARD/RIFLE Gas System

Includes
    20" 1x9 twist - Heavy Profile
    Chrome Moly Vanadium barrel
    Flat Top Upper with White T-Marks & M4 Feed Ramps
    HPT/MPI tested Bolt and Carrier assembly
    Charging Handle
    STANDARD Length Handguards

***This upper is assembled, head spaced, and test fired.

PSA upper;

DETAILS​

PSA 20" CHF 1:7 A2 Rifle Length 5.56 NATO Premium AR-15 Upper Assembly - No BCG/CH
    20" Barrel length
    "Machine Gun Steel" barrel
    5.56 Nato Chamber
    1 in 7" twist rate
    Extra-thick chrome-lined bore
    M4 Feed ramps
    F-Marked Front sight post
    A2 Flash Hider
    Sling Loop
    Rifle Hand Guards w/ heat sheilds
    Forged upper receiver
    T-Marks
    Does not include BCG or Charging Handle
    SKU:

FEATURES​

Barrel: A proprietary blend of Hammer forged chrome molly vanadium made by FN that is referred to as "Machine Gun Steel" by virtue of its required use in FN's M249 and M240 weapons. The hammer forging process work hardens the steel, making it more durable. In addition, the chrome process for the bore allows for a lining almost twice as thick as a standard M16 for enhanced durability. Chambered in 5.56 NATO, with a 1/7 twist, M4 barrel extension, and a rifle-length gas system. The A2 profile barrel is Mil-spec phosphate coated, High Pressure tested and Magnetic Particle inspected. Barrel is finished off with an F-marked front sight post with sling swivel, standard handguards and an A2 flash hider.

Upper: Forged 7075-T6 A3 AR upper is hard coat anodized black for durability. Featuring T-marks, these upper upper receivers are made for us right here in the USA.
    Each upper is assembled to order with US-made parts, and test fired to check gas function. Does not include bolt carrier group or charging handle.

So, the Delton has a 1/9 twist, which would cover a wide range of projectiles. It also comes with a BCG, Complete and ready to go. The PSA barrel is chrome lined hammer forged, made by FN, but no BCG. So, if given the choice, which would be the better option? I'm kinda just overthinking this maybe. Thanks in advance for any insight.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    There really isn't much a 20" can do that a 16" can't. IMO I would put it towards a 20" rifle that does what you want, be it precision or something the 16" doesn't do well. Shorter 8s usually better for defense, and probably 0 difference at a 200yd range. PSA and Del ton are low end and have frequent issues, they might run, but a couple bucks more and you can build something better.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Have you considered one of the NOS M16 A4 takeoffs? They are (mostly) made by FN and of decent quality. I bought one a couple of years ago from Ohio Ordnance Works, but there are a bunch of them around.

1665443810350.png

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Consider building something that will suit your needs to a tee. I mean, it's only an upper. You'll need an upper receiver, a GOOD barrel, and a free floating handguard. Naturally you'll need a scope, but that's assumed. KISS.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If you want ready-made, Windham Weaponry makes a nice upper and so does Aero Precision at a reasonable price. I have three BCM uppers and they have all been fantastic, and they cost even more.

I agree with outrider; build one that's exactly what you want. Get an Aero precision upper, a nice barrel, a Midwest hand guard, etc. Maybe an adjustable gas block. For a barrel? Faxon, Rainier, Ballistic Advantage maybe? I defer to others for a barrel recommendation.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Others have said it but building one will get you more for the money. Criterion builds a solid barrel for the price and will hold its own against some costing much more. Several companies offer upper build kits with or without handguards.

Sirex