DE Voluntary Certificate of Possession from DSHS.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Has anyone been able to obtain a voluntary certificate of possession for their pre-ban "Assault Weapon" from the DE Secretary of the Department of Safety and Homeland Security?

My father has been calling for almost a year to find out about these letters and they keep delaying issuance. These letters are only to be issued until June 30th, 2023.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Has anyone been able to obtain a voluntary certificate of possession for their pre-ban "Assault Weapon" from the DE Secretary of the Department of Safety and Homeland Security?

My father has been calling for almost a year to find out about these letters and they keep delaying issuance. These letters are only to be issued until June 30th, 2023.
    2 lessons?

Don't procrastinate and don't expect DE Gov't to make it easy to comply/ therefore ease the path to confiscation?

JLLCG21

May 15, 2023
    Delaware
    Coincidentally wrote them today. This is what I got back when I asked if I missed the announcement.

"We understand your concerns. Creating the framework involves many important steps. DSHS is still currently putting together the process to apply for the certificates. It should be available before the June 30th deadline. All of the information will be on our website once it’s rolled out. I hope this helps. Thanks."

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Coincidentally wrote them today. This is what I got back when I asked if I missed the announcement.

"We understand your concerns. Creating the framework involves many important steps. DSHS is still currently putting together the process to apply for the certificates. It should be available before the June 30th deadline. All of the information will be on our website once it’s rolled out. I hope this helps. Thanks."
    Thanks.

I called them today and this was basically the details.

5-15-2022

Spoke with Arshon Howard - Director of Media and Community Relations.

Said possibly two weeks for the voluntary certificate of possession. I said it is a violation of law as the law states that the letter had to be created prior to the enactment of the law. They are in violation.

I also said I believe they will extend the letter past the deadline.

Asked four questions.

When specifically will the letter be available. Didn't know.

When will the letter be extended to if at all. Didn't know. What authority do they have to extend timeline. Didn't know.

Why are they breaking the law. Said they aren't.

Can an out of state resident get a letter. Didn't know.

It was overall a very informative call.
    :sarcasm:

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks.

I called them today and this was basically the details.

5-15-2022

Spoke with Arshon Howard - Director of Media and Community Relations.

Said possibly two weeks for the voluntary certificate of possession. I said it is a violation of law as the law states that the letter had to be created prior to the enactment of the law. They are in violation.

I also said I believe they will extend the letter past the deadline.

Asked four questions.

When specifically will the letter be available. Didn't know.

When will the letter be extended to if at all. Didn't know. What authority do they have to extend timeline. Didn't know.

Why are they breaking the law. Said they aren't.

Can an out of state resident get a letter. Didn't know.

It was overall a very informative call.
    :sarcasm:
    No wonder I feel like our Gov't is out to F us.

rgdguns

Feb 21, 2016
    Law has been in effect for almost 1 year .Why bother with the letter? Have you read the requirements to get a letter? You need to provide proof of ownership prior to June 30th, 2022 along with the application for the cert of ownership the same info is needed if a problem comes up.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Law has been in effect for almost 1 year .Why bother with the letter? Have you read the requirements to get a letter? You need to provide proof of ownership prior to June 30th, 2022 along with the application for the cert of ownership the same info is needed if a problem comes up.
    Yes.

The letter is the only affirmative defense.

Moreover, I have pre-ban registered AR's on MD paperwork that are already registered so the point is moot. It would be much easier carrying around a DE letter than the old MD pink slips.

Also, there is debate whether an out of state resident can even get the letter. So I know that if I can get the letter, they are legal bring there for shooting events. Otherwise, I will keep them in MD.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    This.

Stop begging the crown for permission to exercise your rights...

For everyone else:

The State of Delaware will begin issuing Assault Weapon Certificates of Possession in the coming weeks.

The certificates are a function of the Delaware Lethal Firearms Safety Act of 2022, signed into law by Governor John Carney last year. The Act prohibits the manufacture, sale, offer to sell, transfer, purchase, receipt, possession, or transport of assault weapons in Delaware save for certain exceptions. Those who already lawfully owned an assault weapon prior to June 30th 2022 are among those exceptions.

The Department of Safety and Homeland Security (DSHS) is required under the Act to issue the certificates to those who meet the exception and request one. Though exempt individuals are not required to request a certificate of possession, the certificates will provide conclusive evidence that a person lawfully possessed or obtained an assault weapon prior to June 30, 2022, and is thus entitled to possess and transport that weapon.

To receive a certificate of possession, residents must present the following documentation:

-A valid Delaware driver’s license, Delaware identification card, or United States passport.

-A dated bill of sale, receipt of purchase, or record of transfer from a licensed firearms dealer for weapons that were purchased that reflect a completed sale or possession prior to June 30, 2022.

-For inherited weapons, a will or other documentation substantiating that the weapon was received through inheritance.

-DSHS will not maintain any record of the issuance of the certificate, as required by the Act.

-Residents must bring the weapons for which the certificate of possession is sought, but all weapons must be unloaded and left secured in their vehicles. Residents must enter the buildings unarmed.

Assault Weapon Certificates of Possession are set to be issued to Delaware residents at the times and locations below:

Times:

Saturday, May 27th, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Saturday, June 3rd, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Saturday, June 10th, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Locations:

Sussex County - Delaware State Police Troop 7 - 19444 Mulberry Knoll Road, Lewes, DE 19958

Kent County - DSP State Bureau of Identification – 600 Bay Road, Suite 1B, Dover, DE 19901

New Castle County - Delaware State Police Troop 2 - 100 Lagrange Ave, Newark, DE 19702
    NFW would I apply for this certificate.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    The letter is here:

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Democrats do not have to come to any Constitution office to register and certify as communist and domestic enemy of the USA. We recognize them all as such by default.

leakytire

Aug 1, 2022
    Greenwood, DE.
    So...I'd have to go all the way to Lewes with my "assault weapon" (if I had one), leave it locked up in the vehicle while I go into the police station to get my POS certificate, and then perp walked out to the parking lot to unlock my doors while they tell me to stand back while they reach into my vehicle, pull our my 'arm(s)', check to make sure its unloaded, ask me if I have ammo with me, look at the serial number while I sit on the hood looking stupid being searched, go back in so that they can print me out a piece of paper to sign, drive all the way home again, and thereafter keep the certificate in my wallet so as to prove I may own my own property that is 2A approved?
    I'LL BE RIGHT THERE M***F****S !!

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    • DSHS will not maintain any record of the issuance of the certificate, as required by the Act.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Here is one of our communists.

PP-SElizabethLockman-sm.jpg

Some more communists working on permit bill.

20230426-181920-27dsn%20GA%20permit%20sponsors.JPG

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Small consolation- do you really believe that? How could they prove you got it then, in the first place?
    That's why the whole thing is communist non-sense.

"Don't listen to what communists say. Watch what communists do."

leakytire

Aug 1, 2022
    Greenwood, DE.
    I did send an email to lockman, explaining that criminals are not likely to comply with her wishes to abide, but I don't expect a reply.
    edit: also pointed out that taking my rights away do not affect criminals at all- It's hard to believe our Senators are so STUPID.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I did send an email to lockman, explaining that criminals are not likely to comply with her wishes to abide, but I don't expect a reply.
    edit: also pointed out that taking my rights away do not affect criminals at all- It's hard to believe our Senators are so STUPID.
    They don't give a shit or care about your opinion. They are not stupid as you think. They are smart in extracting economic benefit from American free system while oppressing you! The best thing for us is to wish they vanish off the face of the earth!

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    So...I'd have to go all the way to Lewes with my "assault weapon" (if I had one), leave it locked up in the vehicle while I go into the police station to get my POS certificate, and then perp walked out to the parking lot to unlock my doors while they tell me to stand back while they reach into my vehicle, pull our my 'arm(s)', check to make sure its unloaded, ask me if I have ammo with me, look at the serial number while I sit on the hood looking stupid being searched, go back in so that they can print me out a piece of paper to sign, drive all the way home again, and thereafter keep the certificate in my wallet so as to prove I may own my own property that is 2A approved?
    I'LL BE RIGHT THERE M***F****S !!
    Technically, what's effed up is that they were supposed to make the letters available "before" the legislation was passed so that people had an entire year to get the letters. Not one day at each facility.

Then the legislation also says "a person" can get a letter if they had a pre-ban weapon. Yet, the website only says a Deleware resident.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom