How to properly beat a horse. Please allot 16 hours. This is mandatory.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    As I previously stated, if it was about training, no one would be exempt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Exactly. The DD-214 exemption just shows they aren’t serious about training as a safety measure.

I spent a summer on Parris Island to get my DD214. I am glad it has some benefit to me 40 years later for those 3 months of fun. Yes, we shot the M16 semi- and full-auto and we shot the 1911 back then.

Other that that we shot the M16 on the BB course at Damneck's rifle range a couple of times.

I was in an Air Command and Control Unit.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Having followed this thread since the beginning, it has left me totally bewildered. 1) Do not believe that mandatory training should be required to exercise a constitutional right. This decision should be left up to the individual. This system has worked well in the Constitutional Carry States. 2) It is easy to see why the Libtards of this state have been able to deny us our rights for so long. We bicker among ourselves because some individuals have an easier path to securing a W&C permit. We should be happy for their luck. But no, we complain that someone got something that we didn't. It's unfair. Get over it, life is unfair. As the right to carry was settled by SCOTUS, one day this issue will be corrected. Our strength is the 2A community standing together.
    IMHO being on one side of the argument, I am not bitter about it.

But I've seen a number of people on the "I have a DD214" side of things arguing that of course a DD214 SHOULD make you exempt because it shows you have training. Often with claims that ANYONE with one has been qualified on a handgun.

Or, okay, with an M-16 at least.

Well okay, maybe not the uniformed services guys who also get a DD214, but they aren't getting training exempt anyway.

What do you mean there are bunches of guys from the armed forces who never qualified with a gun, that can't be true because my experience is I did.

Add more moving goal posts.

I really AM fine that some people are training exempt, solely because I do not believe training should be required for a carry permit. So good for them.

But I will argue to the ends of the earth that just because someone has a DD214 makes them MORE qualified than I am, a civilian with no DD214 and that their DD214 is proof they have some minimum level of training that I cannot prove because I don't have one.

No, many people with DD214s were never trained with any kind of a firearm, let alone qualified on one. Either because they are old enough their MOS never trained with firearms at the time and they never ended up handling small arms, let alone pistols in their time in their service. Or they are uniformed services branch that has nothing to do with guns (and for the limited bit I've seen and heard, MSP has not rejected ANYONE with a DD214 because they don't have training. My sample size is tiny as I know all of ONE guy who like CMSGT is ex-NHS and used his DD214 to be exempt from training (not my SIL's dad, he was also a doctor, but he retired about a decade ago and been running a small business since and he has a W&C for a few years now). MSP apparently accepted it.

I do NOT want MGA/MSP to drop a DD214 for training exemption. I want MGA/MSP/courts to force mandatory training to be dropped.

If you argue that training SHOULD be required, then having a DD214 proves nothing and IMHO it should not just be accepted carte blanche. It needs to say what you are qualified on, and a pistol/handgun needs to be one of those things. At least at some point whether you mustered out last month or 47 years ago. Then I'd agree a DD214 conveys some minimal level of training at least (but it doesn't provide training on MD law).

tlwatkinson

MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    No. Tankers were issued the M-3 Grease gun, Thompsons, and M-1 carbines for the longest time.
    From 1917-the 1980's, only officers and NCO's (tank commanders- TC) in the armored units were issued the 1911.

After the M-9 Beretta was introduced, the majority of Armored Crewmen (Tankers) still carried the M-4 carbine or the M-3 Greasegun for a long time, while only TC's received a handgun-and many armor units never received enough M-9's to issue to every TC.

The Armor School doesn't teach tankers anything about handguns. Basic and Armor School are combined and require 15 weeks of your time- they teach the rifle (M-16 / M-4), the main gun (120MM), the .50 Cal (M2), the medium machine gun (M240) coaxial and pintle mounted, but not the handgun. They teach vehicle maintenance for the Abrams engine, track repair, and other essential tasks for operating the Tank. Driving skills, basic tank gunnery, radio operating techniques, and - naturally, drill and ceremony.

There's no time in 15 weeks to teach handgun skills.
    I was not a tanker, but I was in a tank company. They were issued 1 Grease gun per tank, and the crew each had a 1911.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Were there a lot of complaints concerning DD214 exemptions prior to July 2022?
    No one is complaining about it. It's just when one guy chimed in saying that all military members and Vets are HIGHLY qualified and should be exempt. LOL We thought that was cute.

tlwatkinson

MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    No one is complaining about it. It's just when one guy chimed in saying that all military members and Vets are HIGHLY qualified and should be exempt. LOL We thought that was cute.
    I Absolutely understand. I wasn't trained on a hand gun in the military, In my opinion, we were generally trained on weapon safety pretty well. There are some generalizations back and forth here that I think aren't totally correct. I did qualify each year with an M16, and I am assuming that the personnel in my unit that were issued 1911 did also. It is a political thing, for sure. I feel as though as was stated here somewhere that MSP should give us all the basic information that would be in these classes and urge us to read and learn using information supplied by them as to what is important. From what I have read on this Forum, some instructors are giving erroneous information to people that accept them as experts. I am glad that I got this benefit from being in the military, but I don't think any of us should be required to have this training.

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    Blue Griffin is doing a low-cost class specifically for training exempt W&C holders to learn more about MD law. Details attached.

Attachments

• BlueGriffin_Class_Info.jpg
      BlueGriffin_Class_Info.jpg
      113.5 KB · Views: 53

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    This is really about how the MD General Assembly knows nothing about anything on any subject.

From the opening day to sine die, their only goal is getting re-elected.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Having followed this thread since the beginning, it has left me totally bewildered. 1) Do not believe that mandatory training should be required to exercise a constitutional right. This decision should be left up to the individual. This system has worked well in the Constitutional Carry States. 2) It is easy to see why the Libtards of this state have been able to deny us our rights for so long. We bicker among ourselves because some individuals have an easier path to securing a W&C permit. We should be happy for their luck. But no, we complain that someone got something that we didn't. It's unfair. Get over it, life is unfair. As the right to carry was settled by SCOTUS, one day this issue will be corrected. Our strength is the 2A community standing together.
    Quiet you…
    That is simply too much truth in one post.

Sadly… it will escape right by some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom