• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Longhorse

MSI Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2021
    I tried searching first with no luck, so apologies in advance if I've overlooked previously posted answers. I'm not trying to over think this, but I have a couple questions in regards to the DC firearm registration application:

What are they looking for in the "Description of purchaser/owner" box? Should the applicant just put "purchaser" if they're applying for the registration in conjunction with buying a firearm, and "owner" for someone who is registering a previously purchased firearm?

In the "No. of shots" box, for a semi-automatic handgun, do they want you to put the capacity of the factory mags included with the firearm? If aftermarket mags exist that hold up to 10 rounds, should the applicant put 10? Does this have any bearing on what you can possess or carry with a DC CHL after registering the firearm?

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Their forms are terrible in regards to grammar and structure but (as someone who does this myself from time to time) yes you are overthinking it.

Just fill out the purchaser/owner section with your correct info.

If you are bringing in a previously owned firearm as a DC resident or are registering a previously owned firearm with a CCW application as a non-resident you also need to fill out the Used Firearm Addendum form.

For number of shots -- 10 (or less) is the only thing you want to put there for a semi-auto handgun. If you put 15,17,21 etc you will be denied. If your 1911 holds 9 rounds put 9 rounds.

For carrying -- you can only carry a 10 round max magazine but you can now carry as many mags/speed loaders/etc as you'd like.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Is anyone else registering several handguns in case they are carried in DC?

$13 each, right?

CZ Peasy

Jun 29, 2012
    I believe the first registration is free if you are also getting a carry permit. And it is not too expensive so you might as well register whatever you may want to carry.
    Is anyone else registering several handguns in case they are carried in DC?

$13 each, right?

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    The app instructions says to show up at the office with paperwork.

However, one guy from our class said to make an appointment.

I called once and it went to voicemail. Thoughts here?

Longhorse

MSI Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2021
    The app instructions says to show up at the office with paperwork.

However, one guy from our class said to make an appointment.

I called once and it went to voicemail. Thoughts here?

You need to make an appointment to submit the paperwork. You can sign up for your appointment on their website, not over the phone. If you go to the Metropolitan Police website, there will be a Services drop-down menu (next to the Home link). Click on appointments. On that page, there will be a blue button at the bottom that says Appointments. If you click on the blue button, that will open the appointment scheduling portal.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    You need to make an appointment to submit the paperwork. You can sign up for your appointment on their website, not over the phone. If you go to the Metropolitan Police website, there will be a Services drop-down menu (next to the Home link). Click on appointments. On that page, there will be a blue button at the bottom that says Appointments. If you click on the blue button, that will open the appointment scheduling portal.
    Thanks!

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    After first registration, I was told I could mail in additional registrations. I filled out the form, just never mailed it in. Seemed stupied to bring a gun into DC just to get it registered.

Longhorse

MSI Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2021
    After first registration, I was told I could mail in additional registrations. I filled out the form, just never mailed it in. Seemed stupied to bring a gun into DC just to get it registered.

You do not need to (and should not) bring a gun into DC to register it. I'm not sure if they accept additional registrations by mail anymore. I know at least for the first one, you have to bring the paperwork in person. But they don't want you to bring the gun itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom