• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IJM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 7, 2012
    District of Columbia
    I'm not a handgun guy, but I've been considering getting one. I know we have a 10-round limit on magazines for all firearms, but what I can't figure out is if this applies only to the magazine itself or if it applies to the pistol that's designed with a "standard" magazine with more than 10 rounds.

For example, a Beretta 92FS holds 15 rounds normally. I know they make 10-round magazines for it to comply with state restrictions, but how does this work when someone buys it new and wants to register it? Does Beretta make a version that comes from the factory with a 10-round magazine? If so, is the pistol itself any differnet? In other words, would it still accept a "standard" 15-rounds magazine? If so, does that cause any issues with registering it in DC?

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    The magazine will either be pinned or blocked to only accept 10 rounds. There are no modifications made to the pistol itself.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes - Every current and recent major mfg and major importer of semiauto handguns has 10 round mags readily available . It's not just a D.C. thing , something like 14 States have state restrictions ( court cases & news laws make a moving target ) , plus Canada and other internationalarkets

Downside is that the SKUs pre packaged with 10 rd mags are not necessarily always done for every variation of pistol , certain 10 rd SKU's might be out of stock at distributors .

Then it would fall onto the FFL
    Some are willing & technically capable to pin , or block , or whatever to modify magazines into compliance. Sometime included in the Transfer Fee , sometimes separate charge .

Absolute worst case - Dealer retains the > 10 restrictions mags that shipped with gun , and customer has to buy 10 rd mags at retail price . Some older no longer in production rarer pistols might not have newly manufactured reduced mags available, and you'd have to search out mags on the used market . ( Hypothetical, I haven't searched out the various Rosters to cross reference .)

No - No restrictions on gun being able to also use Normal Capacity mags .

You're lucky that D.C. recently changed the rules on number of rounds on the person . Used to be one gun load , plus only one reload , with a combined maximum of 20 rounds
    I.e. , a 5 shot revolver only 10 rounds on person . Or if the mags were exactly 10 , if you carried 10 + 1 in the gun , the spare mag had to be donated to 9 .

But that changed . Currently still only 10 rd mags , but no restrictions on how many 10 rd mags on your person . You could wear a Pancho Villa style bandoleer with a dozen 10 ( or 8 , or whatever ) magazines, if you could conceal it .

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Beretta 92FS 10 round SKU: JS92F300

Took 5 seconds to search in your favorite browser.

No difference in the actual pistol regarding accepting 10 vs 15 vs 18 round magazines available for the 92FS.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Yes, every advantage must be given to the thug class.

They get the element of surprise, being the aggressor.

They can carry anything they want, with no mag limits, and no silly restrictions regarding make or model of firearm.

The rest of us are limited in capacity of magazines, of course, as well as numerous restricted areas where we are not allowed to possess weapons.

I'm pretty sure this is an example of professional courtesy, from one class of criminals to another.

IJM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 7, 2012
    District of Columbia
    Thanks for the responses. In this particular case, I'm considering buying something from a friend in another state with no 10-round restriction, in which case I assume I'd need to buy a 10-round mag separately and bring it to the FFL when I pick it up. Is that correct?

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Thanks for the responses. In this particular case, I'm considering buying something from a friend in another state with no 10-round restriction, in which case I assume I'd need to buy a 10-round mag separately and bring it to the FFL when I pick it up. Is that correct?

You would not need to bring a 10 round mag, or any mag with you when you pick it up. Obviously you want to have it, or the firearm is a single shot at best... but the FFL doesn't need to see it.

Just make sure you don't take the standard cap mag into DC, ever. Possession alone is illegal, carrying or not, loaded or not (unless you're a fellow traveller journalist with a get out of jail free card).

Your friend can hold on to the standard cap mag for you, and you can use that if you ever travel in free America. Transfer to you may be a problem if he's a MD resident, but perhaps you could go have lunch in Northern Va if that's convenient for you (this probably isn't the case since you said 'no restriction').

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC

You'd have to have that firearm shipped to the DC FFls either DCSA or G&D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom