• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    This is my first foray into refinishing handguns (or any gun for that matter) the chipped paint on my 2 CZ82s were bothering me. So I decided to do something about and had thought about different finishes and decided to try my hand at bluing.

Waring I am not a photographer so the pics are not great
    Before:
    CZ82 002.jpg

DSCI0102.jpg

After:

DSCI0104.jpg

DSCI0107.jpg

DSCI0110.jpg

The hardest part was getting the old paint off, used paint stripper and that got most of it off, then sanding both by had and dremel. I did not attempt to tear the pistol all the way down as I was not confident that I either would not break something or get it back together.

So they look better, but not perfect.

I also have new grips on order from marschalgrips, but it looks like they are about as quick as the MSP, so it will be a few months.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    A black gun on a white background can confuse the automatic exposure sensor in the camera. Not much you can do about the black gun, but a more neutral background might help without flash. Take the gun near a window with diffused light or outside in the shade.

Nice looking. For now I like mine with wear on it. Maybe some day. It's nice to know with Birchwood Casey I could improve it that much.

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    So they look better, but not perfect.

I also have new grips on order from marschalgrips, but it looks like they are about as quick as the MSP, so it will be a few months.

nice job. the grips will take a while but they are very nice. Got a set for my SiG P6 a while back and was happy with how well done they were.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Looks nice, with new grips it will have a completely different look less Surplus and more like a modern handgun. I may have to take a shot at bluing my CZ82.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    A black gun on a white background can confuse the automatic exposure sensor in the camera. Not much you can do about the black gun, but a more neutral background might help without flash. Take the gun near a window with diffused light or outside in the shade.

Nice looking. For now I like mine with wear on it. Maybe some day. It's nice to know with Birchwood Casey I could improve it that much.

Ok I tried taking one out in the shade, I didn't remember about the white background.

DSCI0118.jpg

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I think that cerakote will produce a finish that looks closer to the original, and I always prefer to keep things original, when possible. That said, "leprosy" on the vz. 82 is a well-known problem, and having the finish abused with an import stamp doesn't help. Nobody wants an ugly gun, unless it has good reason to be ugly ... and most of these don't.

Even though I personally might not have blued a vz. 82, the job that you did on it looks really nice. It was a great first attempt!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom