• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    This conversation has unfortunately been another bug that bit me - I bought a 10/22 that's just kinda been sitting for a while. I think I've had it to the range a total of twice in the 10-12 years I've had it. Now I'm thinking:

upgrade trigger group
    match grade fluted or carbon fiber barrel
    upgrade stock
    rail for the top of the receiver
    aaaaand.....

a scope. :D

Arken is selling their SH4s pretty cheap these days. I already have one and it's pretty dandy, but I might look into getting something else. In any case, I don't disagree - I like having as much magnification as possible, because you can't shoot it if you can't see it, right?
    How's this for a 10/22 stock? From Boyds, rimfire huner stock and pepper laminate wood. Fits nice and tight like a glove.
    IMG_1437.JPEG

IMG_1434.JPEG

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I actually like that a lot and it's one to consider. Mine actually isn't bad - I have the 10/22 with the walnut stock, but if I was going to use a different barrel profile, I'd need to inlet it to accommodate the heavier barrel.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    The one thing that seems to be a thing with Vortex scopes is comprised of two things; one of the first things that's touted is the company's customer service and warranty, and following close on the heels of that is someone's firsthand account of having something jacked with their Vortex scope and needing to make use of the warranty.

I might go with a Venom for this upcoming 10/22 build I now have an itch to do. I'm sure I'll be happy with it, and it nothing else, it would give me firsthand experience with both.

Your last sentence speaks volumes. NOONE has first hand experience with more than a fraction of what's available in the scope market. Or the gun market. Or the reloading press market. Or the component market. Or many of the other firearms related markets. It's just damn near impossible. It's also something to keep in mind. Nobody's "fault", but unless one has more time and money than God, people's experiences and their recommendation will invariably involve their own personal and typically very limited sample sizes. Just as an example, to the very best of my knowledge, I myself have never once looked through an Athlon or an Arken product.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Your last sentence speaks volumes. NOONE has first hand experience with more than a fraction of what's available in the scope market. Or the gun market. Or the reloading press market. Or the component market. Or many of the other firearms related markets. It's just damn near impossible. It's also something to keep in mind. Nobody's "fault", but unless one has more time and money than God, people's experiences and their recommendation will invariably involve their own personal and typically very limited sample sizes. Just as an example, to the very best of my knowledge, I myself have never once looked through an Athlon or an Arken product.
    I've done this one a couple of occasions with various pieces of gear. I currently own two Arken scopes:

SH4 6-24x50
    EP5 5-25x56

Both are regarded very highly, and initially I ordered an EP5 because the reviews were favorable, and it was touted to have a clearer brighter image than the SH4. This is supposedly due to the EP5 using Japanese glass with the SH4 using Chinese glass. However, the EP5 was on a delay of 4-6 weeks because of availability - they were selling out of them so quickly they couldn't keep them in stock.

While I was waiting for the EP5, Arken put the SH4 up for sale with a discount code that was hard to pass, so I bought one and mounted it to my rifle while I was waiting on the EP5. I was pretty danged impressed with it and shot this 5-shot group at 50 the day I zeroed it.

5Shots.jpg

With that said, comparatively the EP5 is a bit brighter and clearer. When it came, I mounted that one to rifle where I had the SH4, and I put the SH4 on an 18" AR I have.

I also do that with other kinds of products. As a drummer, I've tried out just about every kind of drum head for my toms - clear, coated, single ply, 2 ply, internally dampened, etc. There's nothing like firsthand experience to let you know what you do or don't like, and it's better than any kind of online review. The only downside is that it takes more money to do that.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    The one thing that seems to be a thing with Vortex scopes is comprised of two things; one of the first things that's touted is the company's customer service and warranty, and following close on the heels of that is someone's firsthand account of having something jacked with their Vortex scope and needing to make use of the warranty.

I might go with a Venom for this upcoming 10/22 build I now have an itch to do. I'm sure I'll be happy with it, and it nothing else, it would give me firsthand experience with both.

Your last sentence speaks volumes. NOONE has first hand experience with more than a fraction of what's available in the scope market. Or the gun market. Or the reloading press market. Or the component market. Or many of the other firearms related markets. It's just damn near impossible. It's also something to keep in mind. Nobody's "fault", but unless one has more time and money than God, people's experiences and their recommendationwill invariably involve their own personal and very limited sample sizes. Just as an example, to the very best of my knowledge, I myself have never looked through an Athlon or an Arken product.

I've done this one a couple of occasions with various pieces of gear. I currently own two Arken scopes:

SH4 6-24x50
    EP5 5-25x56

Both are regarded very highly, and initially I ordered an EP5 because the reviews were favorable, and it was touted to have a clearer brighter image than the SH4. This is supposedly due to the EP5 using Japanese glass with the SH4 using Chinese glass. However, the EP5 was on a delay of 4-6 weeks because of availability - they were selling out of them so quickly they couldn't keep them in stock.

While I was waiting for the EP5, Arken put the SH4 up for sale with a discount code that was hard to pass, so I bought one and mounted it to my rifle while I was waiting on the EP5. I was pretty danged impressed with it and shot this 5-shot group at 50 the day I zeroed it.

View attachment 379929

With that said, comparatively the EP5 is a bit brighter and clearer. When it came, I mounted that one to rifle where I had the SH4, and I put the SH4 on an 18" AR I have.

I also do that with other kinds of products. As a drummer, I've tried out just about every kind of drum head for my toms - clear, coated, single ply, 2 ply, internally dampened, etc. There's nothing like firsthand experience to let you know what you do or don't like, and it's better than any kind of online review. The only downside is that it takes more money to do that.

Good to know. I can see why you like it. :)
    Nice shooting!

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

I’ve only heard about their great customer service. I have three Vortex scopes and have never had a single issue. One resides on my 3 gun AR and I’m not exactly gentle with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I actually like that a lot and it's one to consider. Mine actually isn't bad - I have the 10/22 with the walnut stock, but if I was going to use a different barrel profile, I'd need to inlet it to accommodate the heavier barrel.
    Boyds also has stocks for the heavier profile 10/22 models. For that matter, there is also Bell and Carlson if you want a synthetic stock, and they also have models for the target barrel 10/22's.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So all this talk of 12X, 16X, etc. scopes for 22LR got me to thinking. I ended up ordering a Vortex 4-12X40 AO for my Browning T Bolt. I am liking this for 25 to 100 yards. I don't expect to shoot the rifle futher than that.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    So all this talk of 12X, 16X, etc. scopes for 22LR got me to thinking. I ended up ordering a Vortex 4-12X40 AO for my Browning T Bolt. I am liking this for 25 to 100 yards. I don't expect to shoot the rifle futher than that.

The original scope I bought for one of my ARs, that later ended up going on my Bighorn Origin build for a bit before I sold it, was a Cabela's brand 3-12x44. It came in right under the $200 price point once my mil discount was applied, and I have to say, for no more than it cost and for what it was, it was a pretty danged solid scope. The ONLY reason I sold it was because I'd upgraded to the Arken 4-24x50. I was blown away by how clear the glass was. I A/B'd it against every optic I have in the safe:

Late 1960s era Redfield 3-9x40 - this is the scope on my Dad's 25-06 build
    1980s era Redfield 2-7x33
    1960s era Western Field 6x33 fixed
    Athlon Helos 1-4x32
    Primary Arms 3x prism

From a clarity perspective, it blew everything else other than the Athlon and Primary Arms away, and it was slightly better than the Athlon and Primary Arms - hard to compare though with them being different types of optics. I don't know who makes Cabela's brand scopes, but for the price, it was a solid value IMO.

I guess that's my long way of saying that you can get something decent even on a budget.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    My rimfire precision trainer has a Burris xtr2 4-20 with a horus reticle. I like holding with it as a lot of the time one can dial the close shot on a stage or in a field and hold the rest.... particularly with a 22 I find it faster.

I've not had to send in a Burris for warranty but I can comment directly from my own experiences dealing with zeiss, vortex, and even a few less well known others on service or warranty issues. Vortex gets my vote for best service ever. Several of my friends have had similar experiences. Of the probably ten vortex scopes I have owned, only two needed to go back for work. May seem like a lot until considering that one of them was on a rifle through three .260 rem barrels and the elevation turret got a lot of abuse. The other was a scope I bought used and noticed an issue with one of the elements. Both were repaired with no questions asked.

Zeiss was not nearly so good. I owned four of them at the time. One had an issue with parallax adjustment after less than 200 rounds on a hunting rifle. I sent it back, they never called or communicated and sent me a capped turret duplex reticle "replacement" for a target turret mil reticle scope. When I called to blast them, they said it was because they didn't make the model I had anymore. They offered me target turrets but refused to put a #43 reticle in the tube, even though that's what I sent them. They flatly refused to repair my original scope and return it. I have since sold all but one zeiss product and have no plans to buy another.

IOR Valdada has some good optics too. They look a bit klunky compared to some of the competition but I have not seen a problem with their turrets nor have I heard of any guys I know breaking one.

Even ZCO has failures, folks, and they are about the top of the market. Know a guy who just sent one in for repair. He had a hunt coming up and was worried about getting it back in time. He called them to explain the situation and ask about lead time for repair. They sent him an overnight shipping label and turned the scope around in a week total.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    My favorite for target with a 22 is no longer available new but can be found on used market, a Leupold VX-II 6-18 with a fine target dot reticle. Excellent for both steel and paper, I just remember the clicks when going from 50 to 100 yards and it is spot on. Leupold may offer the reticle on newer scopes but I have not looked recently.
    A lot of my vintage target scopes have the fine target dot reticle. The steel target I'm posting is one Alex made up for me as I was complaining to him that standard size targets were no challenge, shoot this at 100 yards.

1401789029_1037957.jpeg
    IMG_1560.jpeg
    IMG_1522.jpeg

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Boyds also has stocks for the heavier profile 10/22 models. For that matter, there is also Bell and Carlson if you want a synthetic stock, and they also have models for the target barrel 10/22's.
    You really can’t go wrong with Victor Titan 10/22 stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom