• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    No, this isn't a C&R firearm yet, but it certainly has some value as both a collectible and as a shooter. This is a lesser-known commercial cousin to the CZ-82 that we all know (and that's getting to be scarce). It was not much of a success in the U.S., probably because there were so many nice CZ-82s available. Ironically, just as the supply of CZ-82s seems to have dried up, CZ America has discontinued importing this variant.

The CZ-83 was apparently made in three calibers: 9mm Makarov, .380 ACP, and ... (maybe 9x19 or .32 ACP)?

The one that I just picked up is a .380. It has a 13 round magazine that looks like it might interchange with those on the CZ-82, but I haven't tried that yet. Those familiar with the CZ-82 would find the ergonomics of this handgun very familiar. It's a very positive fit, and points just where you want it to. It has the same, or very similar, 3-dot sights as the CZ-82 and the same sort of contoured plastic grips.

It's a steel-bodied firearm that feels solid and well-made ... heavier than some of the modern poly guns, but I personally like that. It should make a very good CCW, if I can find the right sort of ammo to make up for it being a fairly light round.

[Edit] I thought that this model was a bit smaller than the CZ-82, but I compared them and they are the same size. Mine also has the same round trigger guard as the CZ-82, rather than the squared-off one shown in the photo below. I'm wondering if it's an earlier model. The serial numbers match, and it's got the CZ-83 signage, so it's not cobbled together. Further looking makes it appear that mine is was made for Czech use, and recently imported, rather than one made for CZ USA and sold here. That might explain the difference in trigger guard shapes, but the signage on the slide is the same (but mine reads 9 Browning for caliber).

Another difference is that it has a conventional bore, with lands and grooves, rather than the polygonal bore of the CZ-82 (but the Mak version may have the poly bore ... not sure). As with other CZs, it's a very solid and well-made piece. So long as you keep the grips on snugly, they feel solid, in spite of the fact that they are contoured plastic. The fairly light recoil might make this a good CCW piece for the ladies. The grip is a bit wide, to accommodate a mag with a 12-round capacity, but it should still fit properly for all but the smallest hands. For those with fairly large hands, the grip feels great for the thumb and first three fingers, but the pinkie sort of has to ride the mag's edge or float above it ... not as bad as the description sounds, but it's the best I could do. Long fingers tend to go a little deep into the trigger, too, but that's easily corrected.

It has ambidextrous safety and mag release features that make it a good gun for lefties. Its DA trigger is surprisingly smooth and relatively light, with no slack and minimal travel. In SA mode, the hammer drops smooth as silk with a crisp, almost imperceptible, break. It's an interesting pistol that might be hard to find in the future. Mine was lightly used, with a couple of very minor scuffs on the plastic grips, but the metal and finish were like new (needing cleaning) for $250 in hand. That seems to have been a pretty decent price, from what I can see. It makes a good companion to the CZ-82s that await a future boating incident.

Attachments

• cz83.jpg
      cz83.jpg
      17.7 KB · Views: 1,085
    Last edited:

bkraft

Jul 24, 2008
    Eldersburg
    The mags should be interchangeable.

Most parts are... some are not, however. There are definate differences between the two.

A lot of times, it's easier to get new replacement CZ83 parts from CZ if you need them rather than trying to find original CZ82 parts.

I believe the slide release springs are different on the two models. Going from memory on this, but I believe if you try to put a CZ83 slide spring on teh CZ82, you'll have to change it up slightly and I want to say it may require some drilling.

Likewise, I have a CZ82 that I put a CZ83 trigger guard on. There are differences there as well. I had a picture heavy thread on this a couple years ago, but the host I used is gone and the pics aren't in the thread anymore. I could probably find and repost them if you're interested. With the trigger guard, you'd think it would be pretty much the same. In actuallity, the machined out section at the back that holds the mag release pieces is different (as I'm sure the mag release pieces for teh CZ83 must also be). I was able to get it to work, and it functions fine, reliably, but it is visibly wrong if you take it apart and look at it. It is also easy to assemble it incorrectly so that the mag won't stay in the gun.

A couple years ago I think I remember reading on line that there was only like 1 or 2 pieces between the guns that are different. Based on my personal findings, I'd say theres a few more than that.

mgbill

Apr 19, 2007
    Mount Airy, MD
    No, this isn't a C&R firearm yet, but it certainly has some value as both a collectible and as a shooter. This is a lesser-known commercial cousin to the CZ-82 that we all know (and that's getting to be scarce). It was not much of a success in the U.S., probably because there were so many nice CZ-82s available. Ironically, just as the supply of CZ-82s seems to have dried up, CZ America has discontinued importing this variant.

The CZ-83 was apparently made in three calibers: 9mm Makarov, .380 ACP, and ... (maybe 9x19 or .32 ACP)?

The one that I just picked up is a .380. It has a 13 round magazine that looks like it might interchange with those on the CZ-82, but I haven't tried that yet. Those familiar with the CZ-82 would find the ergonomics of this handgun very familiar. It's a very positive fit, and points just where you want it to. It has the same, or very similar, 3-dot sights as the CZ-82 and the same sort of contoured plastic grips.

It's a steel-bodied firearm that feels solid and well-made ... heavier than some of the modern poly guns, but I personally like that. It should make a very good CCW, if I can find the right sort of ammo to make up for it being a fairly light round.

[Edit] I thought that this model was a bit smaller than the CZ-82, but I compared them and they are the same size. Mine also has the same round trigger guard as the CZ-82, rather than the squared-off one shown in the photo below. I'm wondering if it's an earlier model. The serial numbers match, and it's got the CZ-83 signage, so it's not cobbled together. Further looking makes it appear that mine is was made for Czech use, and recently imported, rather than one made for CZ USA and sold here. That might explain the difference in trigger guard shapes, but the signage on the slide is the same (but mine reads 9 Browning for caliber).

Another difference is that it has a conventional bore, with lands and grooves, rather than the polygonal bore of the CZ-82 (but the Mak version may have the poly bore ... not sure). As with other CZs, it's a very solid and well-made piece. So long as you keep the grips on snugly, they feel solid, in spite of the fact that they are contoured plastic. The fairly light recoil might make this a good CCW piece for the ladies. The grip is a bit wide, to accommodate a mag with a 12-round capacity, but it should still fit properly for all but the smallest hands. For those with fairly large hands, the grip feels great for the thumb and first three fingers, but the pinkie sort of has to ride the mag's edge or float above it ... not as bad as the description sounds, but it's the best I could do. Long fingers tend to go a little deep into the trigger, too, but that's easily corrected.

It has ambidextrous safety and mag release features that make it a good gun for lefties. Its DA trigger is surprisingly smooth and relatively light, with no slack and minimal travel. In SA mode, the hammer drops smooth as silk with a crisp, almost imperceptible, break. It's an interesting pistol that might be hard to find in the future. Mine was lightly used, with a couple of very minor scuffs on the plastic grips, but the metal and finish were like new (needing cleaning) for $250 in hand. That seems to have been a pretty decent price, from what I can see. It makes a good companion to the CZ-82s that await a future boating incident.

Could you do me a favor and see how many rounds of 9mm Makarov your CZ83 magazine will hold? I have read that it will only accept 10 rounds but I'd like verification before I spend the $$$ being asked for these puppies.

Thanks in advance!

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Could you do me a favor and see how many rounds of 9mm Makarov your CZ83 magazine will hold? I have read that it will only accept 10 rounds but I'd like verification before I spend the $$$ being asked for these puppies.

Thanks in advance!

Keep in mind that my CZ-83 is set up for .380 ACP (9 Browning), and the mag holds 13 rounds of that. I was able to get 12 rounds of 9x18 into that particular mag.

Last edited:

mgbill

Apr 19, 2007
    Mount Airy, MD
    Keep in mind that my CZ-83 is set up for .380 ACP (Browning), and the mag holds 13 rounds of that. I was able to get 12 rounds of 9x18 into that particular mag.

What I had heard/read was that the CZ83 .380ACP magazine would only hold 10 rounds of the 9mm Makarov. You have disproved that rumor and I thank you for going to the trouble. Trying to find a 10 round mag for the CZ 82 is a PITA. Maybe I'll just wait and see what comes out of the MD legislature.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    What I had heard/read was that the CZ83 .380ACP magazine would only hold 10 rounds of the 9mm Makarov. You have disproved that rumor and I thank you for going to the trouble. Trying to find a 10 round mag for the CZ 82 is a PITA. Maybe I'll just wait and see what comes out of the MD legislature.

Someone may well have made 10-round mags for the CZ-82. I'll keep my eyes open for them, and will let you know if I see some. I think I came across them somewhere, but can't swear to it.

[Edit - I found this on Midway's site. They are out of stock now, but the reviews make them sound like what you are looking for. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/13664#Reviews]

[More edit - It looks like Mid-South may soon have a lower-capacity mag in stock. See http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0022611301. From what I can tell, the lower-capacity mags are the same housing, but they just have a spring that's two coils longer than the original mags had. Maybe you can find some spring material from Wolff, or someplace like that, and cut it to size?]

[Still more edit - this is the ad that I remembered seeing. It's a 12-round .380 mag, rather than the original 13, so maybe this one will only hold 10 Mak rounds? They seem to be in stock, and for a good price (but used) http://www.compactfirearms.com/cz-83-used-magazine-for-sale-12-round-380-acp.html]

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom