• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    What do you mean by "build custom"?
    What do you mean by "super accurate"?

Most NRL type rifles are ready made and/or are assembled from component parts.
    Unless a barrel blank is used (chambering and threading), components are generally screw and bolt together propositions.
    (Most guys do this themselves.)
    Although solid precision is needed, Benchrest level precision is not required for NRL/MARS PRS type matches.

I would recommend you attend a match or two, even "bring what you have", before you dive into an expensive rifle.
    Many guys at the matches will let you try out and shoot their rifles, and all will give you advice.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Having ammo your rifle likes is more important than who built the rifle in most cases. Seen Vudoos get thrashed by czs because me vudoo was out of the lot his rifle liked and Mr cz wasn't. The bergara b14 rimfire trainers are pretty decent (and they fit 700 stocks so you have options). The cz rimfires are darn good. Vudoo and rimx are the top of the line. Keep in mind to budget for appropriate glass, magazines, support equipment, and ammo.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I would recommend you attend a match or two, even "bring what you have", before you dive into an expensive rifle.
    Many guys at the matches will let you try out and shoot their rifles, and all will give you advice.

I promised myself I was going to do that this year. Which one of the local matches would you recommend and where could I find a match schedule?

My Sako and Anshutz are both set-up mainly for hunting, but I think they would be fun to shoot in a match.

Cryptotek1

May 1, 2017
    That won't be a problem. It's a public event. Jim, the match director, won't mind. If you get there a few minutes early you can ask questions while we're setting up the course. It's a fairly casual NRL22 event. I'd encourage you to sign up and shoot even as a first timer.

cbrussell

Jan 5, 2013
    Cockeysville, MD
    Having ammo your rifle likes is more important than who built the rifle in most cases. Seen Vudoos get thrashed by czs because me vudoo was out of the lot his rifle liked and Mr cz wasn't. The bergara b14 rimfire trainers are pretty decent (and they fit 700 stocks so you have options). The cz rimfires are darn good. Vudoo and rimx are the top of the line. Keep in mind to budget for appropriate glass, magazines, support equipment, and ammo.

That is a great point; the rifle is just one part of the equation. The scope seems to play a huge part!
    From what I have been reading, magazine/feeding reliability can be problematic with some rifles and can really ruin your match.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    That is a great point; the rifle is just one part of the equation. The scope seems to play a huge part!
    From what I have been reading, magazine/feeding reliability can be problematic with some rifles and can really ruin your match.

Yes. I seriously considered a vudoo but I've seen them royally hose shooters in matches and for the price they charge having bolt issues and magazine trouble is pretty poor showmanship. I know guys who use them and love them but all had them built and fitted and most are running tuned mags. The rimx would be my choice but I own other bighorn products so it's a personal taste thing.

I like my b14 that I bought off another member here when I was considering the rimx build. It's good enough for a trainer and critter killer. Averaging .5-.6" groups at 50yd (10rnds) with sk standard. Centerx shot well too but I always got one flyer per 10 so measured groups were about the same as standard even though most went into a rathole.

Unless you know the precision rifle game is for you, buy a tikka, cz, or bergara and start shooting. Get the best glass you can justify as that's something you can't really modify (must replace to upgrade). Budget for a lot of ammo to test or send your gun to the lapua test facility and buy 5-10k of whatever they tell you.

cbrussell

Jan 5, 2013
    Cockeysville, MD
    I have read the same thing about Vudoo, that is why I am leaning towards the RimX. Watching a bunch of videos from Desert Precision Gunworks; looks like he knows the RimX backwards and forwards. Also fixed a bunch of Vudoo rifles which reinforces my desire to stay clear of them. Seems like too quality control problems for me.

cbrussell

Jan 5, 2013
    Cockeysville, MD
    Yes. I seriously considered a vudoo but I've seen them royally hose shooters in matches and for the price they charge having bolt issues and magazine trouble is pretty poor showmanship. I know guys who use them and love them but all had them built and fitted and most are running tuned mags. The rimx would be my choice but I own other bighorn products so it's a personal taste thing.

I like my b14 that I bought off another member here when I was considering the rimx build. It's good enough for a trainer and critter killer. Averaging .5-.6" groups at 50yd (10rnds) with sk standard. Centerx shot well too but I always got one flyer per 10 so measured groups were about the same as standard even though most went into a rathole.

Unless you know the precision rifle game is for you, buy a tikka, cz, or bergara and start shooting. Get the best glass you can justify as that's something you can't really modify (must replace to upgrade). Budget for a lot of ammo to test or send your gun to the lapua test facility and buy 5-10k of whatever they tell you.

CZ seems to make some nice rifles. I am going to look into them, Tika and Bergara more closely.
    Thanks

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    If you want to get a race ready rimfire cz call jon addis at area 419 in ohio. They do killer cz rimfires and supply parts for the do it yourself crowd. Most people can install a barel in a cz455/457. Not so with rimx or vudoo or bergara. If you lived closer I'd bring my bergara over for you to test. Go to an nrl or other precision rimfire match and tell the MD you are new and looking to embed with a squad. Volunteer to spot or keep score. By the end of the day you will have seen plenty of guns and gear in action and more than likely will have the chance to shoot a few rifles as well.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I know one of 419s shooters pretty well and another two socially through the prs world. Their gear is solid. I own some stuff from them. I am particularly fond of the hellfire mounting system for brakes, cans, etc. Their Zero press may eventually be on the list.

If I were to get a cz, it would be a 419 full build or at minimum one of their barrels.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    Before you spend the money on the gear, a lot of people have spare gear and rifles you can use to try the sport. I would not buy any bags for your first several matches. Look up the Modern American Rimfire Series (MARS) as there are a lot of clubs in the area that do MARS instead of NRL22.

As far as gunsmiths, if you go the rimx route, look up Lee gardner precision. They only have a Facebook page but have a really really good reputation for accuracy. If you go the Vudoo route, order the profile and twist that you want from them.

The Vudoos I have seen seem to have very finicky magazines, but they bring out every bit of accuracy. The Rimx is a really cool design and it's really accurate, but if it jams, you'll need a knife or cleaning rod to clear it. If you like to tinker, go the rimx route as it is easy easier to swap barrels since there are no relief cuts.

The CZs Tikkas and bergara keep up fairly well with the custom rifles until you go beyond about 100 to 200 yards. That's where the control round feed of the custom rifles, which is more finicky, really shines.

I have a tikka and a rimx. Both are great rifles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom