• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks to the stint in my neck, I won't be going out during muzzleloader season, but I'd like to get a little early season hunting in. How is the recoil on a crossbow? .22 rimfire or stronger? I can't use a regular bow right now, either, since I messed up my right rotator cuff, so it's crossbow or waiting for rifle season so I can use a handgun. Thanks.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I have an Excaliber (recurve) and the recoil is odd for a rifleman. Not bad at all, moving away more than back so I don't think it would be bad for you. Depends a lot on the xbow I think. Sounds like the compounds may be different, can't comment on them.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    The "recoil" is not what you'd think- or even like a sprung 1200fps air rifle- and it varies quite a lot by design and projectile weight e.g. I have an Excalibur and use 150gr broadheads and Easton c2 carbon powerbolts. As an FYI, you can crossbow hunt during the muzzleloader season as long as you have both stamps and wear blaze orange.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Mine is not much different than a .223 AR doesn't really kick...it was a little loud until I put string dampener on it...now its nice and takes some of the shock out.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    There's no discernible recoil on my tenpoint crossbow, but I do make sure to focus on keeping the bow on target for the short period when the bow is 'firing', not unlike a muzzle loader. My focus is not on follow up shots. A muzzle loader and a crossbow require considerable time to reload. I use a crank on my crossbow. I consider the first shot the only shot that I will be able to take.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I would call it more of a jumping motion more than a recoil. I think you could shoot a crossbow, but like others have said, cocking the xbow is going to be a problem for you. I wouldn't want to walk into the woods with a cocked xbow, even with a good safety. Syou're going to have to cock it once you get to your stand or blind.

Good Luck!
    Jim Smith

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm getting a crank so cocking the crossbow won't be a problem. I can't wait to get this stint out so I can actually shoot a rifle again. I have another four rifles I haven't shot yet waiting for me to heal up.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Any recommendations on bolt/broadhead combos? Most of the crossbows I'm looking at come with bolts with field points on them, which I won't be using for hunting.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Any recommendations on bolt/broadhead combos? Most of the crossbows I'm looking at come with bolts with field points on them, which I won't be using for hunting.

Some crossbows like Parker have their own bolts...broadheads are a lot to do with preference...Muzzy works good...rage 2 blade expandbles work good. Im sure others will tell you what they like. If you want less stuff to go wrong go with the fixed blade. At 20-40yds a bolt will go clean through a deer...

fowlwhacker

Apr 7, 2013
    I have two daughters 11 and 13 and neither of them have had any issues shooting my xbox. My youngest actually shot her first deer @ 10 on opening Saturday. When I have watched them shoot I didn't see any kick at all.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Spitfire for a mechanical and the Slick Trick for a fixed blade. This could easily become a big pissing match about the weight and the characteristics of each, not to mention the brand. I think the key is to select the same weight as your field tip. Keep in mind that the mechanical will more precisely emulate the field tip. The fixed blade has different aerodynamic features. Practice with the field tips and then shoot the hunting broadhead at an actual target from the elevation and distance that you anticipate shooting a deer from.

I'm certain that others will chime in with their favorites. I've shot many deer with the Spitfire mechanical broadhead. I use it because that is what I let my daughter hunt with, since she's still a newby to hunting. I don't want her to have the unpleasant experience of cutting herself with a fixed blade broadhead. My more experienced friends tend to be split 50/50 with the fixed vs. mechanical broadhead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom