• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Can anyone suggest a range in or near Anne Arundel County where I could shoot a crossbow? I've been wanting to get a crossbow for a long time now, but a good buddy of mine has decided to take up archery and now I finally have an excuse.

The only problem is that the only archery range in the area that I know about is Anne Arundel Archers in Crofton. Sadly on their General Archery Safety document, they specifically say that "Crossbows are not permitted."

So if I get into this sport (mostly for target shooting) where can I go to shoot?

Thanks.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    That is Anne Arundel Archers and I am pretty sure they still do not allow crossbows to be shot there... has been that way forever, unless they have changed this past year or so.

Sadly, many clubs don't allow them to be shot as they tend (well, at least the early ones years ago) to be hard on target bales.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    You could join Berwyn Rod and Gun Club.
    We have a 40 yard archery range that allows crossbows.
    Of course you could also shoot your guns there.
    Win-win.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    The posted safety rules for AAA are below. Looks like I'll have to check out Berwyn. I think MinuteMan shoots there too. Any other options?

ANNE ARUNDEL ARCHERS
    ARCHERY SAFETY

• Never point a bow and arrow at another person.
    • Do not nock an arrow until ready to shoot.
    • Point the arrow down range whenever it is nocked.
    • Aim and shoot only at the target you intend to shoot.
    • Never shoot an arrow straight up in the air or across other shooting lanes.
    • Never shoot an arrow where you cannot see where it will land.
    • Shoot from yardage markers or designated 3-D stakes only, at designated targets only.
    • Never advance down range from the shooting line if anyone is still shooting.
    • Stay on marked trails and travel only in the course designated direction. Do not go backwards.
    • When pulling arrows out of the target, stand to one side and be sure no one is directly behind you.
    • Walk, don’t run towards the target. Arrows sticking out of the ground could injure you.
    • If you are looking for a lost arrow behind a target, always lean your bow against the front of the target to be seen by approaching archers. If shooting with others, someone should stand in front of the target.
    • Anytime while on club property:
    o Wooden arrows are not permitted.
    o Arrows with broadhead tips are not permitted (including “practice” broadheads).
    o Crossbows are not permitted.
    o Hunting is not permitted at any time.
    o Your behavior should always reflect the fact that we are a family-oriented club.

Any member found to be in violation of these safety rules may be asked to forfeit their club membership and may be banned from use of the property.

REMEMBER, ARCHERY SAFETY IS EVERYONE’S RESPONSIBILITY. IF YOU OBSERVE ANYONE ACTING IN AN UNSAFE MANNER PLEASE NOTIFY A CLUB OFFICER.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    What is wrong with going off into the woods; and setting up a target? Nothing that I know that prohibits it. Just make sure the backstop is adequate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom