• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    I had a Barnett, lousy customer service.
    This is true. I like my 400 XTR (blew out the shoulders on the first kill with a mechanical that hit a little too far forward), but serving started unraveling after 10 or so shots. I called them for a new string (a dozen times), but they're still trying to list it in the catalog, so they can't send me one.

Blaserman

MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2023
    Dundalk Md
    This is an option subject
    Here’s my 2 cents. My friend has been and is a pro Staff for Horton ( no more ) and Barnett. He has taken the Fangerous 7 with a Crossbow. Broken world records
    Ghost 410 was judged. It works for me & Girlfriend. Killed Deer & Bears ect

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    Try shooting a few to decide. Things to consider other than price. How do you want to unload it if no shots were taken. Shoot a target or ground to unload or mechanically decock. Noise level when shooting. How to cock it - by hand, with a cocking rope assist, or a mechanical crank. Faster typically means more draw weight so that may make the decision for you. You hunting from the ground or stand? Size and weight will matter for both esp in a tree.
    IMO you want a balance of light weight, compact, and a min of 330 fps. If just starting out I would stay on the low side whether new or used. Upgrade later if you decide to stick with it.
    I have a Parker and a Ten Point both under $750 and they kill deer just fine.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    This is true. I like my 400 XTR (blew out the shoulders on the first kill with a mechanical that hit a little too far forward), but serving started unraveling after 10 or so shots. I called them for a new string (a dozen times), but they're still trying to list it in the catalog, so they can't send me one.
    I sent them an email in September, they replied in March.
    I shot my Barnett, giving it a final check the day before opening day in September. A part broke. After several phone calls and being on hold for over an hour each time, they sent the wrong part. I mailed it back with a detailed explanation along with the broken part. I got the part January 31. I missed the entire season.
    This was a few years ago, perhaps they've improved but not much according to a few bow shops.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    I purchased an Excalibur 335 Micro used from a member here a few years ago. Taken quite a few deer with it. I use only the recommended broadheads and bolts. Change the string every 2 seasons. Moves pretty easy through the woods. On a rest in the stand I can hit an apple at 40 yards. I don't take shots with it past that. I feel like I got lucky with this bow. Cheap used but in great shape.

thedutchtouch

Feb 14, 2023
    potentially unpopular opinion, but i started hunting out of a saddle with a bow. because of this i discovered the hickory creek vertical mini crossbow, with has been a ton of fun to shoot. because it's a vertical crossbow its much easier to shoot out of a saddle/ hiding behind the tree trunk. it's also somewhat of a bow hybrid, where it shoots "normal" cut own arrows with whatever nock you want instead of a proprietary crossbow bolt. i got it at the end of last season so havent hunted with it yet but it's a tack driver out to 40 yards in practice so far and was super easy to learn. you can draw the string back by hand, its just a simple deer killing machine, i look forward to putting holes in things that aren't foam this upcoming season. though i bought a recurve bow and a 350 legend recently as well, so next season i'm going for one of everything, trad bow, compound, crossbow, and rifle. i just need to get my hands on a muzzleloader (and maybe a flintlock lol)

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    That vertical looks like the way to go for saddle hunting. It would definitely get in my way from a ladder stand with the shooting rest down but good luck in next season!

danimalw

Ultimate Member
    Another option for saving on a bow, is to get a certified pre-owned.

Whatever bow you go with, read and re-read the owners manual and follow the maintenance. And check the bolts and fasteners routinely.

If you get a faster bow (400fps or faster), highly recommend numbering your arrows and keeping a log of how many shots per arrow. These fast bows are hard on arrows and some people have noticed reduced accuracy above 50 shots and some arrows being compromised around 70 shots. While that is a lot of shooting per arrow, and once the bow is set up and dialed in, most people only shoot a few arrows per year.

As for broadheads, not all mechanical or fixed blade bh are created equal. A fixed blade like a 4 bladed slick trick uses interlocking blades, the ONLY way for it to shed a blade is for one to break off. Regardless of which style you go with, get a well built one/one made for crossbows.

Definitely get a good crossbow target.

When my brother and father in law shoot their ten points, they set up a shooting bench and use rifle rests because these new bows are that accurate.. and only shoot one arrow at a time to prevent damaging arrows.

Brother's Seige is boring shooting it less than 50 yards and even at that range, 1 arrow at a time.

He retires the arrow after using it on a deer because of the impact and shock to the arrow. The last deer he took, it went through the chest, through offside leg bone and buried in ground. That's a lot harder on the arrow then a target. While retiring a $15 arrow seems excessive, it's way cheaper than damaging crossbow with a compromised arrow.

Good luck.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I was in our situation six years ago. It seemed like I could either go super cheap (won't do that for such an important tool) or super expensive (like $1500+), or somewhere in between. I've been using a Parker for the past six years that I got for about $700. It's still good as new and it has killed a lot of deer, including two that dropped dead where they stood. The company was based in Virginia but went out of business a few years ago. Still, if you can find a used one, I think you'll be happy with it. I like Rage expanding broad heads but I've not tested a bunch of different types. Once I realized Parker + Rage kills deer, I stopped shopping around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom