• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    Hello,

I should start of by saying I'm a firearm guy. I know next to nothing about knives except that it's very handy to have a couple laying around.

That being said, I came across a deal on a CRKT Crawford Triumph a little while back, and have been using it around the house for little things here and there. It's a little too big and heavy to carry around every day.

My question is, with fall coming I'll be doing a lot more outside such as camping, atv trips, etc. Have these knives been known to hold up to tasks that could be associated with those types of activities? I don't want to be relying on something that is potentially junk. It seems very solid, but again, I know nothing.

Don't be afraid to hurt my feelings. I have no attachment to it whatsoever.

Also, if someone could recommend something that will be good for daily use, I would appreciate it. I prefer spring assisted, and something that will hold an edge. I'm also not looking to spend a fortune $50-100 would be my range. Larger purchases are reserved for guns and ammo, and lately NFA stuff has been multiplying.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I've got a fair assortment of folding knives, but I find that I carry a Benchmade 942 all the time. I had spring-assist, but the Axis lock makes it unnecessary; I have liner-locks, but I no longer trust my fingers to them. It's all Axis-lock, all the time, for me now.

Pricey, seemingly, but I've bought most of my Benchmades off Ebay, usually slightly used, at a substantial discount. If the knife is well made and not abused, there's not much risk, and reasonable reward.

I have no experience with your CRKT. I have, as I said, several Benchmades; found the 710 to be a wonderful knife, but a bit too large for regular carry; also made people nervous. The smaller Osbourne designs seem ideal for me. Of course, your mileage may vary. Pretty much depends on what you plan to use it for, I suppose.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    My 2 cents is to get something better...CRKTs are entry knives made with mediocre steel. At $100, you can get a factory second ZT, which is 1000 times the knife of the CRKT.

Other possibilities for outdoors usage...
    Benchmade Ritter Griptilian
    Spyderco Military/ParaMilitary
    Kershaw SpecBump
    ZT 0350
    ZT 0770
    ZT Hinderer (smaller and budget versions)

But if you are willing to spend a few bucks, get a factory second ZT Hinderer and never look back...if you want bigger, a factory second 0300/0301/0302...if you are doing outdoors usage, you'll love the ZT line, and the factory blems allow one to get super high-end blades at cheap prices.

http://kershawguy.com/products-page/zero-tolerance/zt0550-1st-gen-blem/
    http://kershawguy.com/products-page/zt-blems/zt0350tsst-tiger-striped-serrated-edge-blem/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom