• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    I’m looking to buy a long gun safe. I’ve been looking around and there seems to be a lot of hooha concerning these things and why one manufacturers product is better than other ones. Long story short I found a steel water safe online that had decent “reviews” and looked like a solid product in my ignorant eyes, and most importantly fit the budget. I was doing more reading when I found https://www.expertsafereviews.com/, which basically shat on that safe.

I’m now wondering if this expertsafereviews website is a trust worthy site or if they are biased to some degree. I’d appreciate it if anyone could point me to any trust worthy resources for figuring how how safes compare and ultimately what to get.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    In my case, delivery was a hard and fast requirement, so I bought from Carolina Safes in Waldorf (they delivered to Calvert). This is the second safe I have bought from them and have no complaints with their service. did have to wait about 8-10 weeks on this most recent safe.

Of my three, two are Liberty Fat Boy Safes. I realize they are middle of the road and don't compare to Ft Knox or some of the higher end units but they suits my needs. They are made in USA, have a 75 min fire rating, life time warranty and great customer service.

I have them all bolted to the cement floor and have been pleased with them so far. No complaints about the third safe, a Champion from Fred's in Waldorf, I just like the Fat Boys better.

Last edited:

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I’m looking to buy a long gun safe. I’ve been looking around and there seems to be a lot of hooha concerning these things and why one manufacturers product is better than other ones. Long story short I found a steel water safe online that had decent “reviews” and looked like a solid product in my ignorant eyes, and most importantly fit the budget. I was doing more reading when I found https://www.expertsafereviews.com/, which basically shat on that safe.

I’m now wondering if this expertsafereviews website is a trust worthy site or if they are biased to some degree. I’d appreciate it if anyone could point me to any trust worthy resources for figuring how how safes compare and ultimately what to get.

****Typically with safes, as with many other products - you get what you pay for. Your options are somewhat limited depending upon where you plan on having the safe installed (upstairs, ground floor, concrete pad, etc..) as well as how safe you want the safe to be... Typically firearm safes at most folks price point have an impressive door but perhaps weak sides, or a crummy electronic lock or other related issues.

Nothing will keep out a dedicated criminal with tools out forever, but some safes are awesome with respect to fire, water infilitration, etc.. Hidden safes provide some advantages in terms of perhaps not being found easily.

Many people with nice setups have redundant systems including alarms, cameras, and door open notification, etc...

If you just need to keep kids or casual folks out - you can go perhaps a less expensive route than might otherwise be needed if you want something more robust, etc..

Lots of folks have safes here on MDS. Most would suggest buy a LOT bigger than you think you need. Buy once/cry once.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    If you don't need something really big you might want to consider a safe from SecureIt. Look them up online. I have been thinking about getting one only because I don't need something big and these would serve me well.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I haven’t looked in a while because funds. I decided on a Sturdy at that time and will look there again first I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I haven’t looked in a while because funds. I decided on a Sturdy at that time and will look there again first I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on how long ago you looked, you may have a heart attack when you see the current prices. I got mine 10 years ago and they were a deal for what you got when compared to other safes with much thinner steel.

I wanted security, a solid basic design with no frills. I got mine without fire for well, reasons and it weighed more than bigger fire-lined safes a lot of people like.

Now, 10 years later, I would be looking for a decent brand safe that I can buy locally and have it delivered by them. I've upped my home security setup and ordering, delivery and lining up someone to move it into the house was a hassle.

offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    ****Typically with safes, as with many other products - you get what you pay for. Your options are somewhat limited depending upon where you plan on having the safe installed (upstairs, ground floor, concrete pad, etc..) as well as how safe you want the safe to be... Typically firearm safes at most folks price point have an impressive door but perhaps weak sides, or a crummy electronic lock or other related issues.

Nothing will keep out a dedicated criminal with tools out forever, but some safes are awesome with respect to fire, water infilitration, etc.. Hidden safes provide some advantages in terms of perhaps not being found easily.

Many people with nice setups have redundant systems including alarms, cameras, and door open notification, etc...

If you just need to keep kids or casual folks out - you can go perhaps a less expensive route than might otherwise be needed if you want something more robust, etc..

Lots of folks have safes here on MDS. Most would suggest buy a LOT bigger than you think you need. Buy once/cry once.
    I have a 23” depth x30” width opening I plan on stuffing the safe into. I’m shooting for a ~20 gun safe as most seem to be around that size and it would get the sides walled off nice. Definitely more safe than I need for 2 long guns with plenty of room to expand.

There seems to be so much gimmick around these things. I know my budget of $1200-1500 will yield me a roughly a 12-14 gauge box but I think having this thing bolted down and surrounded with brick walls will be more than adequate. At that point they can just have it if they didn’t decide to take the TV or the power tools instead

Anyways, I think for me the lock itself, and front protection matter the most. I hear with most of these electronic locks you just have to drill through it, that the back up (master) keys can easily be picked, and that retrofitting a combination lock needs to be done by a pro if it can be done. It doesn’t help there’s dozens of different standards for locks so I’m just trying to make sense of it all so that I don’t end up with something where the lock is a weak point and bozo the clown can get through it.

I know on paper any safe can be broken into. I’m not that interesting truthfully, and I’m not the type to advertise my 2A hobbies so anyone breaking in wouldn’t be looking for guns rather trying to make a quick buck and there’s plenty of things to get to before finding the safe. With that said my goal is to find reasonably good features. I don’t expect break ins, and we’ve never had one. Should there be one though it wouldn’t be nice for it to not pry open like the tin can safes. We have security cameras so it would be a matter of waiting for the police.

offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    In my case, delivery was a hard and fast requirement, so I bought from Carolina Safes in Waldorf (they delivered to Calvert). This is the second safe I have bought from them and have no complaints with their service. did have to wait about 8-10 weeks on this most recent safe.

Of my three, two are Liberty Fat Boy Safes. I realize they are middle of the road and don't compare to Ft Knox or some of the higher end units but they suits my needs. They are made in USA, have a 75 min fire rating, life time warranty and great customer service.

I have them all bolted to the cement floor and have been pleased with them so far. No complaints about the third safe, a Champion from Fred's in Waldorf, I just like the Fat Boys better.

View attachment 429783
    I’ll check them out! Are they knowledgeable about different security technologies as far as electronic locks go and the finer details of safe construction?

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I’ll check them out! Are they knowledgeable about different security technologies as far as electronic locks go and the finer details of safe construction?
    I don't really know - I did a lot of research on my own before hand so I didn't have any questions for them. Brett and his daughter Taylor are very nice and easy to work with but I can't vouch for their depth of knowledge when it comes to safes.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    This is the best and most unbiased guide to safes. I've recommended to countless MDS brothers and sisters

Now, my personal choice was Sturdy but YMMV didn't pending on your preferences.
    For me, I wanted one of the toughest safes that was Made in USA at a reasonable price point.

If you want a safe that is easy to move and set up in tight spaces like closets or understair voids, you may want to look at Zanotti or Snap Safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom