• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I put out the first corn of the year this weekend. On a whim I bought some molasses coated corn along with the plain shelled corn. I laid out two piles of about 20 pounds each, one coated the other plain. Here are the results. I repeated this in another spot and got the same.

My test could be confounded by the taste preferences exhibited by squirrels or raccoons. I haven't pulled the card card from the camera aimed in the direction of this pile. But glancing at the pile, it does not appear that squirrels came down from the trees to have at it. The leave little bits, deer don't seem to, I'm not sure about the raccoons.

I'll repeat the test with Apple flavored corn once I find some. But for now, it's plain corn.

Attachments

• IMG_5556.JPG
      IMG_5556.JPG
      91.3 KB · Views: 283

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I put out the first corn of the year this weekend. On a whim I bought some molasses coated corn along with the plain shelled corn. I laid out two piles of about 20 pounds each, one coated the other plain. Here are the results. I repeated this in another spot and got the same.

My test could be confounded by the taste preferences exhibited by squirrels or raccoons. I haven't pulled the card card from the camera aimed in the direction of this pile. But glancing at the pile, it does not appear that squirrels came down from the trees to have at it. The leave little bits, deer don't seem to, I'm not sure about the raccoons.

I'll repeat the test with Apple flavored corn once I find some. But for now, it's plain corn.

they will eat some apple coated corn..

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I have done the same similar test over a few years and found that paying extra for the Molasses corn wasn't worth the investment. Deer are foragers and will eat anything that is in their normal diet. The molasses is only a "treat" and the Corn is "food" regardless if the corn has an additive on it or not, if they know there is a regular food source there, they will come back continuously.

Things Guys Don't Consider About Corn / Bait Piles
    :

One trick I have learned about corn piles is this. The Does will come in and bring the Fawns on a regular basis to feed said Fawn. This act makes other Deer follow suit and eventually you end up with a lot of Does and Fawns coming in on a regular basis. One thing I never do is shoot Does over the corn pile. I have two locations where I do put out corn, but, my purposes for corn is not to shoot the Deer standing at it.

The secret is to let those Does and Fawns come and go peacefully and get comfortable there and you know what happens when the rut comes in and the Bucks are looking for their "treat"...

The trick is that you use the corn to bait the Does and therefore use the Does to bait the Bucks. Don't shoot the Does coming to the corn until after they have paid their dues for free food by bringing them Bucks in to the corn.

Unless you are starving to death... let the Does pass and the Bucks will come.
    Also, DO NOT spray Doe Heat scents near your corn piles. This shys other Does away and that's defeating the purpose of trying to bring those Bucks in.

On a side note, one thing I also never do, is put the Doe Heat scents on or under my stands. I put it out 15-20 yards away sometimes 30-40 yards if its a firearm season. I don't want the Buck to come right up under to me. I want him to come within range of me. Placing your scent pad or whatever you use on a tree limb away from your stand saves you a lot of trouble trying to shoot that Buck. Keep him at a distance and your chances of claiming him greatly increase.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Good advice...but...Im happy with a doe over a rutty buck:)...tomorrow I'm grinding up the doe I shot sunday...we use a lot of ground so shes gonna get ground up with the exception of the backstraps and tenderloins of course...:D

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Good Advice - oh Zen Master of all things BUCK!
    I'm just kidding, it really is good advice, thing
    for me is I only shoot doe.
    One, I'm on private land and the caretaker is my ticket.
    If I pop the big buck, well, you just don't do that.
    nu uh. Its HIS. And we respect that.
    I have had massive racks walk under me.
    And I had a chance my very 1st year -
    A marsh slob, looked like a moose....
    So I'm a doe a deer hunter..
    but I'm a meat hunter.....
    I have zero desire for racks.
    Found a perfect 8 point shed 3 years ago.
    That's as cool as it gets.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

:thumbsup: I have a few "trophies" for me on the wall...Theres one I wouldn't pass on if I had the chance but now its definitely off the books since I only can get one tag here..but primarily I hunt to fill the freezer not antler stew...I am more than happy/grateful for the nice doe the good Lord provided and of course the 43 lbs of ground venison and backstraps/tenderloins she provide us...

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head

I honor and respect your hunting mentality in this situation. I too could care less about what is on the Deers head. Any Deer that I can take to the freezer is a trophy. I am not a Ego hunter and will not pass up a Doe just because there is a Buck roaming about the land. If the Buck cometh he will goeth home with me. If a Doe cometh she will goeth home with me too. If I never see a Buck the entire season. I'm would not heartbroken.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    I've always noticed the deer around here prefer uncoated, plain-jane corn. First pile of molasses corn I ever put out was my last. Never eaten; not even by the squirrels. And it was in a well-used funnel. For all I know, it may still be there :)

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I use whatever I can get for a good price. I don't pour it out in a pile, I sling it around a pretty large area to keep them from clumping up in a bunch as they are feeding. I did try some powdered molasses I got from the Amish one year and just spread it out around the ground around the same area I would sling the corn. It didn't seem to make a difference. Corn got eaten at the same rate it did with no molasses added.

I used to hunt a base that had a quota, if the quota wasn't met during the season they would be shot at night. So if a deer was in range, I took it.

First deer always went to my dad and uncle. Dad doesn't hunt but likes venison and my uncle is paralyzed from the waist down and can't process fats very well anymore so the venison is great for him.

Second one was for me and after that it was all for hunters for the hungry.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    make a gravity feeder...out of corrugated rain gutter tube tied to a tree. fill with corn and let them eat out of it...

I've seen that and it's pretty cool, just not real great all the time for the base I hunted. We have had them, along with trail cameras stolen. Not often but it does happen.

I'm hoping this job I applied for in New Hampshire comes through. I was on landwatch.com and found a house with 50acres that I could probably swing.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I've always noticed the deer around here prefer uncoated, plain-jane corn. First pile of molasses corn I ever put out was my last. Never eaten; not even by the squirrels. And it was in a well-used funnel. For all I know, it may still be there :)

That's because our local corn does not crow with Molasses on it on the stalk. They don't know what that is. Just like feeding Deer things that guys sell you on TV that our Deer have never seen. If it's "unnatural" to them they will pass.

It's sort of the same reason why most Deer lures, like Doe In Heat scents and others don't work. Because our Deer stink different that Deer in Illinois or other states. However, guys will continue to get suckered in to things are not "local" to our native / resident Deer.

I buy my 32oz bottle of Hot Doe yearly from a local dealer. My Doe Estrus is at least a "regional" item and not from Kansas for example.

As for Corn coated with Molasses, our Deer don't know what Molasses is, but, they might know what Corn is. Most of my new Deer, 4 years or younger, on the farm have never tasted Corn because we have no Corn anywhere near the farm. I have to try my best at finding something the new kids like as a "treat", but, most of it goes to waste.

This is why I have found that Corn Buck Jam is the top number secret. It's strong in flavor and odor and they will tear that stuff up. I have craters and two uprooted stumps from that Buck Jam. I buy 4 gallons at a time from Walmart for about $6.50 a gallon I think it is this year. I have tried molasses Deer corn and they will eventually eat it, but, I don't feel it is for the Molasses. It seems they'd attack it hard once the Molasses washed off from the rain. I also get my Corn from my Uncle in St. Mary's County for $10.00 / 100 pounds. He's got plenty right now and ready sell to the public:

Call him up -
    Joe at 301-536-0016 / Callaway, MD

The problem is Squirrel, Racoons, Deer, Mice, and who knows what else eats it. It's an expensive route and I also have yet to ever shoot a Deer at Corn pile. I think is done mostly to keep the Deer in the general are if at all. LOL seem like all of my Deer are taken from the other sides of the farm where there's no Corn.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I use whatever I can get for a good price. I don't pour it out in a pile, I sling it around a pretty large area to keep them from clumping up in a bunch as they are feeding. I did try some powdered molasses I got from the Amish one year and just spread it out around the ground around the same area I would sling the corn. It didn't seem to make a difference. Corn got eaten at the same rate it did with no molasses added.

I used to hunt a base that had a quota, if the quota wasn't met during the season they would be shot at night. So if a deer was in range, I took it.

First deer always went to my dad and uncle. Dad doesn't hunt but likes venison and my uncle is paralyzed from the waist down and can't process fats very well anymore so the venison is great for him.

Second one was for me and after that it was all for hunters for the hungry.

Same here, Deer are "rolling foragers". I rake back a spot of about 10 x 10 feet in the woods and spread that Corn all around. This does two things. It makes them feed longer and come back more often. What I mean by Rolling Foragers is, they will stand there at a "pile" long enough to nibble for a few minutes and then carry on. They won't stand there and gorge themselves on Corn like a Squirrel will. If you spread that Corn out they will be forced to stay longer, which in turn, brings more deer in to stay longer.

The other thing is, you have to keep that Corn fresh, if it rains and that Corn gets molded or it gets old in a pile, it will actually smell like grain alcohol and the Deer won't come near it again. This is the second reason you don't want to "pile" your Corn.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I've seen that and it's pretty cool, just not real great all the time for the base I hunted. We have had them, along with trail cameras stolen. Not often but it does happen.

I'm hoping this job I applied for in New Hampshire comes through. I was on landwatch.com and found a house with 50acres that I could probably swing.

I'm not a fan of the corn "feeder" either. To me it is totally unnecessary. Deer don't eat out of feeders naturally and all I do is take a Folgers blue coffee container, the plastic type with the handle built in, and take a container each time I go in the woods. You don't have to put out 50 pounds of Corn all the time. It's just so wasteful. 2-3 pounds at a time is enough to keep them coming back for a few days.

Corn feeders also do exactly what I have already said not to do. All it has to do is rain on the exposed feeder base and you have mold and rotting Corn and Deer just don't want it. You can drill a drain hole in the bottom of your elbow to allow the water to drain, but, it serves no purpose. Once the Corn, so much as gets damp, it has begun to mold and rot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Marty S.

Latest threads

Top Bottom