• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    In another thread I was confused about constitutional carry vs the federal gun free school zone act. I thought if a state didn't issue permits (meaning there are none that could be had), that satisfied the fed law. Nope. I get it now. Stupid me thinking any anti-2A law would have logic.

Last edited:

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I think some states are trying to put into law that anyone who qualifies for CC is essentially deemed as having a license. Whether the Feds would honor that I don’t know.
    Best to have the permit just in case I suppose.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I think some states are trying to put into law that anyone who qualifies for CC is essentially deemed as having a license. Whether the Feds would honor that I don’t know.
    Best to have the permit just in case I suppose.
    It would be pretty tough for an AUSA to get a conviction for a supposed GFSA violation for carrying w/o a license if the defense could simply introduce as evidence a state statute that says "every non-prohibited person is hereby granted a license by default". Even hardcore Antis would be CCW license holders. :eek:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It would be pretty tough for an AUSA to get a conviction for a supposed GFSA violation for carrying w/o a license if the defense could simply introduce as evidence a state statute that says "every non-prohibited person is hereby granted a license by default". Even hardcore Antis would be CCW license holders. :eek:
    Just keep in mind, the language of the GFSZ, I don't have it handy, refers to needing a permit from that state. Reciprocity will NOT cover you. I can't recall if a non-resident permit covers you based on the language or not.

An issue, if you want to call it that, is what about for serious felons in possession? Okay, sure, you can charge them for possession, but don't you want to throw ALL the things at them? (I am being snarky), and you can't add on a federal GFSZ violation, only federal prohibited person charges, because that state gave EVERYONE a permit!!!

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Just keep in mind, the language of the GFSZ, I don't have it handy, refers to needing a permit from that state. Reciprocity will NOT cover you. I can't recall if a non-resident permit covers you based on the language or not.
    If I've drawn the attention of an AUSA to the extent they're even looking at GFSZA as an add-on charge, odds are I have much bigger legal problems to worry about. Has GFSZA ever even been successfully prosecuted as a standalone charge, or only in conjunction with other felonies? It's not as if 1811s sit around with their feet up on their desks waiting for someone to drop a file on their desks with a single de minimis charge inside, while thinking "Well, it's not as if I don't have anything else to work on..."

Last edited:

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011

An issue, if you want to call it that, is what about for serious felons in possession? Okay, sure, you can charge them for possession, but don't you want to throw ALL the things at them? (I am being snarky), and you can't add on a federal GFSZ violation, only federal prohibited person charges, because that state gave EVERYONE a permit!!!
    I believe some states have put in language that NR Permits are to be treated as Resident in regards to GFSZ. That was one reason I got a VA one when I was renting a place to stay in NoVA, there was confusion and there seems to be schools everywhere like there is in the heavily populated areas in MD.

Mister F

Aug 16, 2022
    Rockville
    I expect the 1000 foot boundary would fail under Bruens test. But one needs standing to challenge. Standing gained by being charged and convicted. Standing nobody has, because basically nobody has been charged under this law without some other aggravating factor being in play. FIP, drugs, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

The way constitutional carry laws are written basically says if you are not prohibited under state or federal law from possessing then you are allowed to conceal carry without a permit.
    That’s why criminals can still be charged for concealed carry even in a constitutional carry state. The statutes are usually still in place with the exception that you’re not prohibited.

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    If I've drawn the attention of an AUSA to the extent they're even looking at GFSZA as an add-on charge, odds are I have much bigger legal problems to worry about. Has GFSZA ever even been successfully prosecuted as a standalone charge, or only in conjunction with other felonies? It's not as if 1811s sit around with their feet up on their desks waiting for someone to drop a file on their desks with a single de minimis charge inside, while thinking "Well, it's not as if I don't have anything else to work on..."
    This should be the end of this entire conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom