• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deathracer

Feb 14, 2010
    What is the thoughts here on probable cause.
    What if scenario:
    Loaded or unloaded handgun locked inside a vehicle console "SAFE" (steel locked insert, sold for application).
    Traffic stop occurs; only minor traffic offense(speeding, etc.), no DUI or other cause.
    Can an officer require you to unlock the "SAFE" console to determine what is inside, or will a warrant be required?
    If handgun was unloaded (empty chamber, no mag inserted) but separate mag was loaded and contained in console. Any potential crime here? Thoughts?

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    What if scenario:
    Loaded or unloaded handgun locked inside a vehicle console "SAFE" (steel locked insert, sold for application).
    Traffic stop occurs; only minor traffic offense(speeding, etc.), no DUI or other cause.
    Can an officer require you to unlock the "SAFE" console to determine what is inside, or will a warrant be required?
    If handgun was unloaded (empty chamber, no mag inserted) but separate mag was loaded and contained in console. Any potential crime here? Thoughts?
    Warrant or subsequent to arrest.

Loaded mags are fine.

Search "MD ag loaded magazine " and you should find a pdf of the ag written opinion. Print it and keep copies in vehicles.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Printed copies and not with the firearm in the safe..
    I keep paperwork in one place and any tools in another. On long trips (mainly for comfort) but also at peak "drunk fishing" times I keep my wallet in a cup holder or other easily accessible location. When playing interview the officer, it denys them the excuse of furtive movement towards my first line.

If OP is forward thinking enough to have a concealed console vault I suspect that he keeps his paperwork somewhere else.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    How would he even know it's in there?
    47d3e180cfe792d2e07bb072aa810d80.jpg

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    To search you either need probable cause, an arrest or consent. Outside of those, they cannot search your vehicle.

Fate

Mar 18, 2012
    How would he even know it's in there?
    ^This.

Pass the test and be on your way. The test is whether you are looking or acting weird, scared, dangerous enough to warrant a closer look.

Turn on the dome lighting at night. Crack or roll down the window enough to be heard and non confrontational. Hands on the wheel as officer approaches. Don’t be a smart alec or hostile. When officer asks for your paperwork, tell him where you’re going to reach to get it. Move slowly and calmly. Keep your hands visible. The more you come across as normal JoeBob, the better.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    What if scenario:
    You must have a PERMIT to have a loaded handgun in the car.
    Warrant or consent to search.
    Apply for the Handgun Permit/ CCW for your state of residence.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ^This.

Pass the test and be on your way. The test is whether you are looking or acting weird, scared, dangerous enough to warrant a closer look.

Turn on the dome lighting at night. Crack or roll down the window enough to be heard and non confrontational. Hands on the wheel as officer approaches. Don’t be a smart alec or hostile. When officer asks for your paperwork, tell him where you’re going to reach to get it. Move slowly and calmly. Keep your hands visible. The more you come across as normal JoeBob, the better.
    I still remember a time that a buddy and I were pulling all nighters in the Montgomery park section of Baltimore in a warehouse. Locked gates and locked building.

At about 4-5 AM or so, we headed back to Carroll County on 695 likely around Greenspring Ave exit when a cop pulls me over in my 1983 Honda wagon. It was loaded with tools in the back, and he tells me my tail lights were out. Asked me if I knew. I said no and also told him it was probably just the bulbs and asked if he wanted me to fix em there. 1 screw per lense, pop new ones in, replace screw and done. He said no, and if I just drove home with my flashers on, he would send me on safely. Oh and I had to fix them and submit an inspection report ( certified station) along with my inspection ticket he wrote me. No fine attached.

Anyway, I thanked him for making me aware that they were not working and looking after our safety.
    I swapped the bulbs in about 3 minutes time the next morning after waking.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Traffic violation only and no PC, consent search or warrant to get into any locked box in a vehicle. An inventory search of your vehicle incident to arrest they would need a warrant to get into a locked box. Locked box in your trunk? Unless you give consent and open it for them, need a warrant.
    No reason for an officer to go on a firearm hunt for a traffic violation.

Last edited:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Traffic violation only and no PC, consent search or warrant to get into any locked box in a vehicle. An inventory search of your vehicle incident to arrest they would need a warrant to get into a locked box. Locked box in your trunk? Unless you give consent and open it for them, need a warrant.
    No reason for an officer to go on a firearm hunt for a traffic violation.
    "OFFICER, I AM EXERCISING MY SECOND AMENDMENT RIGHTS AND HAVE A GUN IN THE TRUNK! I JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW."

ETA: (:secret: but the chamber is empty, for safety)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom