• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    That's awesome, I should send this to Go Fast Don't Suck, I bet I could them to make that a shirt. lol.
    They have their logo protected. Anyone printing that shirt for sale needs to be well versed in copyright law or you'll wind up funding them when they win the lawsuit

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    They have their logo protected. Anyone printing that shirt for sale needs to be well versed in copyright law or you'll wind up funding them when they win the lawsuit
    I thought there was an exception for parodies. Wouldn't they only be able to sue if they could show that the shirts were being produced for or by a competing organization, say a pro gun rights group?

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I thought there was an exception for parodies. Wouldn't they only be able to sue if they could show that the shirts were being produced for or by a competing organization, say a pro gun rights group?
    That's actually an excellent question and I don't know the answer. Entirely possible.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    All the posts have been about jeans or tshirts, what about jackets that have extra pockets on the inside for concealment? I have an NRA jacket that has an inside snapped pocket for a handgun on one side & another on the other side for mags. I would be more interested in jackets, coats, & vests that provide concealment options than pants or shirts.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    All the posts have been about jeans or tshirts, what about jackets that have extra pockets on the inside for concealment? I have an NRA jacket that has an inside snapped pocket for a handgun on one side & another on the other side for mags. I would be more interested in jackets, coats, & vests that provide concealment options than pants or shirts.
    I would not trust just a "pocket" for concealment. The thin material of a pocket (even slightly reinforced for the weight of a gun) may not be enough to keep a foreign object from pulling the trigger.

The weight of the gun might make the coat hang oddly.

The garment may move, which means that when you reach for your gun, it may not be where you're expecting it.

In short, I'm not really too sure what function such a garment would really serve that would be advantageous.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I would not trust just a "pocket" for concealment. The thin material of a pocket (even slightly reinforced for the weight of a gun) may not be enough to keep a foreign object from pulling the trigger.

The weight of the gun might make the coat hang oddly.

The garment may move, which means that when you reach for your gun, it may not be where you're expecting it.

In short, I'm not really too sure what function such a garment would really serve that would be advantageous.

Didn't edit down the above quotes , because each had multiple points .

Big Division : Garments as Cover for guns/ holsters/ accessories vs Garments as Holsters / accessory holders themselves , with additional subgenre of garments to at least potentially do both .

Bold , but True Statement : Such Garments do exist , purpose designed to hold a Roscoe safely , securely , and with at least a degree of effectiveness . I even own one .

Albeit , not all garments so purported actually do so . Further Albeit , they generally work better with guns smaller that the largest that can be crammed in .

As Hogarth noted , to support the weight , and cover the outlines require a certain thickness , body , and stiffness of the material . Typically think " Carhart - ish " material or leather .

So the remaining questions are : Do they offer advantages over more orthodox belt/ IWB/ shoulder holsters ? Are they worthwhile when judged on their own merits , as their own subcategory ?

TLDR = Rarely . Maybe , Sometimes .

As related by Hogarth , orthox- ish properly designed holsters , firmly attatched to the belt are the Gold Standard to be in fixed location for rapid draw , and to prevent moving around with body movement . But different people have different maxtix of prioritization , and we have a plethora of different holsters and holster- like objects ( some of which can be worthwhile .)

If we compare ( inside of dedicated garments) with Belly Bands , ankle holsters , fanny packs , belt pouches , wallet holsters , sneaky pete - ish objects , etc , that's the spectrum of comparison . Answer - Better than some , about the same as some , worse than some .

Aspects that fans will cite :

Not critical if hemline raises up . ( Plenty of regular winter type vests feature long tails , and Carhart & knockoff coats have long enough , loose enough hemlines to conceal most vaguely suitable holsters . The Ike length quasi hoodies , typically with snug elastic at hem , sometimes are a different thing .)

You can arm / disarm discretely by putting on , or removing a normal looking garment , and muggles usually wouldn't notice . Of course , IF that's relevant or important to you .

My default recommendations = conventional holster , with garment as Cover .

BUT , if one of the above advantages is important to you , then go for it ( subsequent to your testing it yourself .).

If it encourages you to carry , instead of not carry in that situation , go for it .

If it encourages to carry a BUG when you otherwise wouldn't , go for it . (I know , BUGs are a debate in themselves .)

* Not directly addressed - ( purpose built outer garment) vs proper pocket holster used in pocket of a conventional outer garment .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Damn , that Bigfoot guy can write Fabs length posts when he gets the bit in his teeth . I'll try to do some one word and one sentence posts to make up for it .:)

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Damn , that Bigfoot guy can write Fabs length posts when he gets the bit in his teeth . I'll try to do some one word and one sentence posts to make up for it .:)
    LOL
    b41037c3fee0d63a877fed7b92462682.jpg

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I carry every day, and have for several years. The only clothing I have that could be considered specifically for carrying are:

Stiff belts (Kore gun belts mostly)
    Columbia fleece vests. That one extra layer can help concealment.

I carry a g27 regularly wearing shorts and a t-shirt. No problem.

I do like shirts with prints in warm weather - a print Tommy Bahama over khakis is a look that works nearly everywhere. I roll with a G23 IWB and a OWB mag pouch holding a reload, and no one knows unless they give me a hug.

I just picked up a Columbia fleece vest for this purpose but I feel like Mr. Rogers wearing it. Part of me thinks it makes me more of a victim because I feel like such a dweeb.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Appreciate the suggestions, but I know a concealed carry outer garment doesn't always take the place of a quality holster, but I'd like to have more than 1 for the cold weather. I've never seen one, but a dressy CC jacket would be nice to have as well.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I’m gonna go to dinner tonight in Levi’s and a sweatshirt. AOWB with a P365. Nobody will blink.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Appreciate the suggestions, but I know a concealed carry outer garment doesn't always take the place of a quality holster, but I'd like to have more than 1 for the cold weather. I've never seen one, but a dressy CC jacket would be nice to have as well.
    FWIW, the further off your body that weight is sitting, the less comfortable it. Same reason the leg pockets on cargo shorts aren't as comfortable for use as the regular pockets.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    I went to a motorcycle show many, many years ago and there were a few vendors selling leather jackets with built in holsters. The were probably targeting the outlaw clubs, but they existed. Betcha they still do.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    With no CCW, I have been carrying my cell phone on a belt clip at 2 o'clock with my shirt tucked in. What phone changes have you made? I could move it to 10 o'clock, but if I start wearing an untucked shirt, it will print like a firearm.

RennBaer

Aug 16, 2022
    NY-istan
    With no CCW, I have been carrying my cell phone on a belt clip at 2 o'clock with my shirt tucked in. What phone changes have you made? I could move it to 10 o'clock, but if I start wearing an untucked shirt, it will print like a firearm.

Is putting it in your pocket not an option?

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    I had a similar situation only carried my cell phone in a holster @ 4:00 with my car keys in left front pocket and change and pocket knife in right front. I switched car keys to right front pocket and cell phone to left front pocket. So far so good I'm getting used to it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I could move it to 10 o'clock, but if I start wearing an untucked shirt, it will print like a firearm.

Again , a feature of modern life .

A bulge under the shirt tail will usually default be assumed to be a large smartphone .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom