• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ghost40

Apr 29, 2015
    Does anyone know what VA will except for handgun proficiency for non resident CCW? They only say proof of handgun proficiency on the application packet. I have a couple of defensive pistol classes and Texas hunters Ed. No certificates for the defensive classes for prof however.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Does anyone know what VA will except for handgun proficiency for non resident CCW? They only say proof of handgun proficiency on the application packet. I have a couple of defensive pistol classes and Texas hunters Ed. No certificates for the defensive classes for prof however.
    DC offers an online course that is free and is accepted by VA for a non resident CCW. Google MPD DC online firearm course.

Or click this link:

https://dcfst.mpdconline.com

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    The court shall require proof that the applicant hasdemonstrated competence with a handgun and the applicant may demonstrate suchcompetence by one of the following, but no applicant shall be required tosubmit to any additional demonstration of competence:

1. Completing any hunter education or hunter safety courseapproved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency ofanother state;

2. Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safetyor training course;

3. Completing any firearms safety or training course or classavailable to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, juniorcollege, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearmstraining school utilizing instructors certified by the National RifleAssociation or the Department of Criminal Justice Services;

4. Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or trainingcourse or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies,or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5. Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearmthrough participation in organized shooting competition or current military serviceor proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services;

6. Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry afirearm in the Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has beenrevoked for cause;

7. Completing any firearms training or safety course or classconducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearmsinstructor;

8. Completing any governmental police agency firearms trainingcourse and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties;or

9. Completing any other firearms training which the courtdeems adequate.

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of thecourses or classes; an affidavit from the instructor, school, club,organization, or group that conducted or taught such course or class attestingto the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of anydocument which shows completion of the course or class or evidencesparticipation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence ofqualification under this subsection.

Ghost40

Apr 29, 2015
    Thanks for all the input. I had forgotten that I did do the VA concealed class online.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Huh? Why would you say that?

Simple.

The vast majority of online CHP classes being offered in Virginia are conducted by someone claiming to be certified with one (or more) of usually 3 different credentials:

NRA certified instructor
    Utah BCI certified instructor
    Virginia DCJS certified instructor

So, here is the problem.....

1) NRA - About 2 years ago, the NRA issued a memo telling NRA certified instructors that they were forbidden from using their NRA credentials to teach an online course.

2) A Utah BCI certified instructor is only certified to teach the Utah Weapon Familiarity certification class, and that class must always be taught in person and cannot be offered online or by an electronic means.

3) A Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) certified firearms instructor may be a A) law enforcement instructor or B) private security services instructor. A DCJS law enforcement instructor is only allowed to train LE. A private security services firearms instructor is only allowed to teach the 24 hour DCJS armed security officer training class.

The Code of Virginia, under 18.2-308 says that someone can apply for their CHP after taking a course taught by an NRA certified or state certified instructor...

1) If an NRA instructor is offering an online video, he is doing so outside of what the certification allows him to teach, thus, he is not certified to offer an online class through his certifying agency (The NRA).

2) A state certified instructor (either Virginia DCJS or Utah BCI) is only allowed to teach what their certification allows them to teach. If they are teaching a home made, online class, it is being done outside of what their certification allows for.

In short, although the state law says they'll accept training from those instructors, their certifying agencies didn't approve them to teach these online classes, thus the certificates they issue to students are worthless, and the students haven't been properly certified to apply for their CHP.

Make sense?

I'll add that the majority of these online classes have some unknown, unnamed instructor who claims credentials yet doesn't provide identifying credentials/numbers. They'll just claim to be certified by XYZ.

For those that say that I am just crying sour grapes (and I have heard that), I will say this. I could have an online course available in an hour. As an NRA, Utah and DCJS certified instructor and ethical businessman, I see no legal, lawful mechanism available that would allow me as a certified instructor to offer such training within the limitations of my certifications.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Simple.

The vast majority of online CHP classes being offered in Virginia are conducted by someone claiming to be certified with one (or more) of usually 3 different credentials:

NRA certified instructor

1) NRA - About 2 years ago, the NRA issued a memo telling NRA certified instructors that they were forbidden from using their NRA credentials to teach an online course.

2) A Utah BCI certified instructor is only certified to teach the Utah Weapon Familiarity certification class, and that class must always be taught in person and cannot be offered online or by an electronic means.

3) A Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) certified firearms instructor may be a A) law enforcement instructor or B) private security services instructor. A DCJS law enforcement instructor is only allowed to train LE. A private security services firearms instructor is only allowed to teach the 24 hour DCJS armed security officer training class.

The Code of Virginia, under 18.2-308 says that someone can apply for their CHP after taking a course taught by an NRA certified or state certified instructor...

1) If an NRA instructor is offering an online video, he is doing so outside of what the certification allows him to teach, thus, he is not certified to offer an online class through his certifying agency (The NRA).

2) A state certified instructor (either Virginia DCJS or Utah BCI) is only allowed to teach what their certification allows them to teach. If they are teaching a home made, online class, it is being done outside of what their certification allows for.

In short, although the state law says they'll accept training from those instructors, their certifying agencies didn't approve them to teach these online classes, thus the certificates they issue to students are worthless, and the students haven't been properly certified to apply for their CHP.

Make sense?
    It does but several law enforcement agencies offer free online class accepted by VSP such as DC Police. Why pay for an online course when one is free.

Of course real training is not online anyway.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    It does but several law enforcement agencies offer free online class accepted by VSP such as DC Police. Why pay for an online course when one is free.

Of course real training is not online anyway.

The few online courses that I have seen done by LEA's seem to be within the proper restrictions, and therefore legit as far as I can tell. Its the ones that I mentioned above that are not.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    Simple.

NRA certified instructor

Make sense?

I'll add that the majority of these online classes have some unknown, unnamed instructor who claims credentials yet doesn't provide identifying credentials/numbers. They'll just claim to be certified by XYZ.

For those that say that I am just crying sour grapes (and I have heard that), I will say this. I could have an online course available in an hour. As an NRA, Utah and DCJS certified instructor and ethical businessman, I see no legal, lawful mechanism available that would allow me as a certified instructor to offer such training within the limitations of my certifications.

thank you proshooter. i am going to go head to head with the NRA blended learning at headquarters in april. seems everyone is going techie, but what happens when some folks aren't techie or if the tech stuff ceases to work for an indefinite period of time?

blended learning is an online course, yes?

ugh! good nite.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    thank you proshooter. i am going to go head to head with the NRA blended learning at headquarters in april. seems everyone is going techie, but what happens when some folks aren't techie or if the tech stuff ceases to work for an indefinite period of time?

blended learning is an online course, yes?

ugh! good nite.

Yes, sadly

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom