• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hammer

Feb 9, 2009
    I hope this the right forum to ask this.

Ok I'm 52, and I have my hunters safety card. Have been a hunter for 34 years.

My nephew is 13, with hunters safety training too.

I'd like to try my hand at competitive shooting. We would be using 17 hmr, 25 wsm, 204 or 7mm 08. Standard set up.

I don't know where to start, I'd like to stay in Maryland, pa, maybe Delaware.

So if you could, point me in the right direction to get started. Thanks.

My email is thehammer111@aol.com, if you prefer that.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    There are several types of competitions you can get involved with. Silhouette, tactical, benchrest, F-Class/F-Open, High Power, Appleseed, etc...

For your HMR, consider rimfire matches and the 7-08 can be used in F-Open and a few other comps like Precision Rifle and Tactical competitions. I don't anything about you 25WSM or 204, so can't help you there.

Look at Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol, Peacemaker National, Mayberry, Quantico Shooting Club and Appleseed for a good idea of what's around.

hammer

Feb 9, 2009
    Sorry I meant 17 wsm,it's a rim fire too.

The 204 , is 20 cal center fire.

Ill like to start out slow. Bench target.

I need the contacts, im sure I need to register with a organization.

HokieCasey

Aug 7, 2010
    St Mary's
    If your set on staying RimFire and having fun I would recommend some of the various 22lr based competitions.

Option 1: IR 50/50 which is a bench rest competition for precision, scoring rings are about the width of a .22 bullet

Option 2: Rimfire Sihiloute, which is offhand shooting at small animal shapes at various ranges

Option 3: Steel Challenge, which is a rifle/pistol closer range which is based on speed.

Not sure where you are, but Sanner's Lake in St Mary's County hosts all 3 throughout the year, some more than others and all of our matches are open to the public.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Many gun clubs have competitions open to the public check their web sites and calendars for listings. I would suggest you and your nephew should first attend a number of different matches and observe, be sure to take ear protection. By seeing different matches you will see which interest you the most and you will make some contacts ask questions. Once you have narrowed down the competitions get yourself an official rule book and read it to be sure your equipment is legal and you understand what is expected. Then sign up for a match and give it a try.

Here are some resources for you:

The CMP homepage
    http://thecmp.org/

The CMP competitions page
    http://thecmp.org/competitions/

CMP Coaching Resources page
    http://thecmp.org/training-tech/coaching-resources/

USA Shooting
    http://www.usashooting.org/

NRA homepage
    http://home.nra.org/home

NRA Programs listing with links
    http://programs.nra.org/

NRA Competitive Shooting
    http://competitions.nra.org/

Where are you located? Maybe someone can suggest some nearby matches to visit or a good junior program for the boy to join.

hammer

Feb 9, 2009
    I'm md eastern shore, Kent island.

We're ready to go. He's rim fire, I'm center fire.

Beginner stuff, bench rest is what we're practicing.

Just need a date, time and location and we're there.:gun1:

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Most places will allow you to compete without being a member. Costs a little more, but worth it.

Find out what's close to you and take advantage of it. Bridgeville for sure. Not sure of any other place on the Eastern Shore.

hammer

Feb 9, 2009
    Supposed to be a great place in thurmont. I'm willing to go to southern md, southern pa, western md. I thought bridgeville was sweet only.

That's what I understood it to be on their website, unless there's another place.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island

Check www.aafg.org Anne Arundel Fish & Game, and look at the calendar and feel free to contact someone there on the website. Some events allow guests or are open to the public. I am a new member there and may be able to help you out with specifics. If you like what they offer, consider joining. It will take about 7 or 8 months to get through the requirements.

I am also on Kent Island and find the place to be convenient. Short of AAFG, check out Bridgeville or Alexander's Game Farm.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

There is shooting off a bench, and there is BENCH REST.

Bench rest competition is about TINY groups. And typically very custom setups.

If you haven't done an Appleseed event, that would be a good place to start.

And while you can shoot comps with standard hunting type rifles, you will be at a disadvantage to rifles more suited for the use. If nothing else, the thin barrels of hunting rifles heat up and the point of impact changes when you fire the number of rounds in competition.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    There is shooting off a bench, and there is BENCH REST.

Bench rest competition is about TINY groups. And typically very custom setups.

If you haven't done an Appleseed event, that would be a good place to start.

And while you can shoot comps with standard hunting type rifles, you will be at a disadvantage to rifles more suited for the use. If nothing else, the thin barrels of hunting rifles heat up and the point of impact changes when you fire the number of rounds in competition.

Yes, OP... what he said.^^ I was thinking of changing my post last night but I didn't and figured I would let you check into it. AAFG only has a 100yd range. I don't think that is what you are looking for.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Supposed to be a great place in thurmont. I'm willing to go to southern md, southern pa, western md. I thought bridgeville was sweet only.

That's what I understood it to be on their website, unless there's another place.

Check out Seitzland Rifle Club in New Freedom PA. Right over border, 1st exit on 83 and then about 5 min. Lots of Junior RF shooting and also high power matches.

Apr 15, 2013
    Another vote for Appleseed.

He (and you) will learn a great deal about rifle shooting- including what to practice, how, and why. If he enjoys it, Appleseed is a fantastic introduction to high power, service rifle, or small bore position shooting. And you cannot beat the price.

AAF&G is right across the bridge from you- and later this summer there will be another venue close to you on the eastern shore.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick

The queen Anne's 4H program has a very active jr rifle program where the children shoot both 3P smallbore and air rifle matches.

The club has several children now at college shooting on teams. They practice at the QA 4H complex roughly 10 minutes from the outlets at the 50/301 split

---
    Shamr0ck

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom