• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    Won an1897 Winchester shotgun off GB for a trench gun project. The gun shows up and the serial number has been ground off and it looks like a 2 year old etched a new one. Unfortunately it's a felony to ship or receive a gun with an altered serial number. I feel like I was stuck in a bad position and have invited the man into my life. After several phone transfers I hope to hear from them what I need to do.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Won an1897 Winchester shotgun off GB for a trench gun project. The gun shows up and the serial number has been ground off and it looks like a 2 year old etched a new one. Unfortunately it's a felony to ship or receive a gun with an altered serial number. I feel like I was stuck in a bad position and have invited the man into my life. After several phone transfers I hope to hear from them what I need to do.

It depends on if they have a variance letter from the ATF. The ATF will generally approve a smith or owner to remark the original serial number on a firearm with permission. If they don't have a letter of variance then it's a big batch of stupid. Mail the gun back and demand a refund.

EKing

NRA Benefactor
    Aug 12, 2016
    Sykesville
    It looks bad. I would have a serious talk with your FFL to figure out a way ahead. Not worth your rights to ignore.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    You have no recourse. The firearm has to go back. Even if you lose the entire amount you paid for it, I would not keep that firearm in my possession.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Crappy situation! Hopefully the seller isn't a dick he could get in real trouble if he tries to push the issue. My old partner bought a stolen gun on GB once. Broke his heart he didn't care about the money he had a piece of history.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I have a 1929 Winchester shotgun and it has no serial number. Interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Serial numbers where not REQUIRED on commercial firearms until 1968. Most manufacturers did serialize their guns and most military contract guns where required to be serialized as per contractual agreement but for commercial guns it was a crapshoot.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    It should be sent back as he didn't disclose that it was disfigured, but pre 1968 firearms did not need serial numbers so I think that it is irrelevant in a legal sense. I dunno.....

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    You have no recourse. The firearm has to go back. Even if you lose the entire amount you paid for it, I would not keep that firearm in my possession.

Agree. If you lose your $$ hit the sender with a lien. You can file it yourself at the County Courthouse. Include the lien and service fees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom