• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Matt2.01701

Apr 26, 2023
    Maryland
    So, recently I was at a local gun store talking about my new CMP Garand pickup with a guy I know at the store and he asked me how I got it. I told him about the paperwork process and that they shipped it right to me. Another one of his coworkers overheard that I had it shipped straight to my door via FedEx and immediately started saying that he’s never heard of that and he would be asking on an MDSP chat board for the legality of that. He comes back a few minutes later saying that he spoke with an officer and that it’s not legal to have that done in MD because it was being shipped from out of state without an FFL intermediary. So I begin to explain to him that the CMP is exempt from the regular FFL protocols (I don’t know the actual statute on that) and that there is nowhere in MD code that would go against the CMP exemption.

So my question is, can anyone find anywhere that points to a law in MD that would restrict the CMP from shipping to my door? And what is the statute that allows the CMP to ship directly to peoples homes?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I have an 03FFL and cmp shipped.me a Garand. They would not ship me my 1911 though, even though it would otherwise have been legal.

I had to have it shipped to a FFL01 and do the MD paperwork for it.

Last edited:

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I can’t answer your question directly but I mean, the CMP has been doing what they do for what, decades now? They do list requirements for certain states on their website but I see no restrictions for MD.

I would trust the CMP to know what they are doing over an FFL that never heard of the CMP and certainly over some random MSP drone. No offense to the stalwart MSP Troopers. And I assume your FFL was just trying to look out for you.

Scroll down to “IMPORTANT STATE OR LOCALITY REQUIREMENTS”. Nothing for MD.

https://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/eligibility-requirements/#important-requirements

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    So, recently I was at a local gun store talking about my new CMP Garand pickup with a guy I know at the store and he asked me how I got it. I told him about the paperwork process and that they shipped it right to me. Another one of his coworkers overheard that I had it shipped straight to my door via FedEx and immediately started saying that he’s never heard of that and he would be asking on an MDSP chat board for the legality of that. He comes back a few minutes later saying that he spoke with an officer and that it’s not legal to have that done in MD because it was being shipped from out of state without an FFL intermediary. So I begin to explain to him that the CMP is exempt from the regular FFL protocols (I don’t know the actual statute on that) and that there is nowhere in MD code that would go against the CMP exemption.

So my question is, can anyone find anywhere that points to a law in MD that would restrict the CMP from shipping to my door? And what is the statute that allows the CMP to ship directly to peoples homes?
    The answers you seek are somewhere on the CMP web site I have seen them in the past but you need to do your own research. Try asking on the CMP Forum.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The CMP got some sort of special exemption from Congress to ship rifles directly. As mentioned, someone at the CMP forum will have a detailed answer.

Back in the Clinton administration, the Democrats discovered the existence of the DCM, the U.S. Army program which sold rifles to civilians. Of course, they shut that down. In response, the Republicans created the CMP, which sells far more rifles to civilians.

The old DCM, which existed since the Teddy Roosevelt administration, was shipping rifles long before the 1968 GCA ended mail order gun sales. I would guess the DCM got an exemption in the GCA, and that exemption was extended to the new CMP.

A few states, such as New Jersey, require the rifles to be transferred by an FFL. I would guess the carve out to allow states to do that is in the original legislation which set up the CMP.

Now your clueless buddy down at the gun store is trying to screw things up with his stupid questions. What kind of brain dead clueless idiot does that?

Never, never, never ask a Maryland State Trooper, or any LEO, a legal question. They are not lawyers. It would make more sense to ask the IRS a question about tax law, and I hope you know better than to do that.

If you ask 10 different MSP troopers a question about gun law, you will get 15 answers, probably all wrong. You might do a little better with the Licensing Division versus a random trooper running traffic enforcement, but don't be too sure about that. The MSP has nothing to do with the CMP. Why would they know about some obscure Federal law or regulation? Your buddy's trooper buddy has never even heard of the CMP, just like your damfool gun store buddy. It's the blind leading the blind.

What possible good can come from stirring things up? All it takes is a single concerned citizen to call a single publicity-hungry anti-gun delegate, and Maryland could go the way of New Jersey.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    It’s legal in MD by virtue of the fact that it’s not illegal. I think the MD long gun private transfer law only applies to the transferor, not the transferee, so it wouldn’t be illegal to receive. CMP’s counsel must have determined it doesn’t apply to them being outside of MD, and MD must not have disagreed.
    The CMP got some sort of special exemption from Congress to ship rifles directly. As mentioned, someone at the CMP forum will have a detailed answer.

Here is the law authorizing CMP to sell to gun club members.

“(b)Gun Club Members.—
    (1)
    The corporation may sell, at fair market value, surplus caliber .22 rimfire rifles, caliber .30 surplus rifles, and caliber .45 M1911/M1911A1 surplus pistols, ammunition, repair parts and other supplies necessary for target practice to a citizen of the United States who is legally of age and who is a member of a gun club affiliated with the corporation.
    (2)
    Except as provided in section 40733 of this title, sales under this subsection are subject to applicable United States, State, and local law. In addition to any other requirement, the corporation shall establish procedures to obtain a criminal records check of the individual with United States Government and State law enforcement agencies.”

Here is Section 40733 exempting their sales of .30 cals and .22 cals from the FFL system requirements of 18 USC 922.

Subsection (b) states firearms other than .30 cals and .22 cals require the CMP to have an FFL, meaning the 1911.

“(a)In General.—
    Except as provided in subsection (b), section 922(a)(1)–(3) and (5) of title 18 does not apply to the shipment, transportation, receipt, transfer, sale, issuance, loan, or delivery by the corporation, of an item that the corporation is authorized to issue, loan, sell, or receive under this chapter.
    (b)Exception.—
    With respect to firearms other than caliber .22 rimfire and caliber .30 rifles, the corporation shall obtain a license as a dealer in firearms and abide by all requirements imposed on persons licensed under chapter 44 of title 18, including maintaining acquisition and disposition records, and conducting background checks.”

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I had my M1 shipped directly from the DCM in the early nineties. I had to fill out an application, submit fingerprints, attend an M1 clinic and submit info on that and wait several months to get it. Not like it was an especially easy process. At that time was no "instant" check at stores, just walk in and buy. But I did get it for $165 so no complaints from me!

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    My m1 came via USPS in 1975.
    My 7 year old signed for it. Daddy the postman delivered a long box this afternoon.
    That's before all the hysteria.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Yes it was then that there could only be one. And you had to shoot a match, know how to use the rifle.
    I was looking at the next CMP rifle I obtained after all that.
    Good lord its a beautiful rifle. Next one I got was an 03A3 and so it went to be. SHould have bought a bunch of those carbines but alas nothing lasts forever.

Matt2.01701

Apr 26, 2023
    Maryland
    It’s legal in MD by virtue of the fact that it’s not illegal. I think the MD long gun private transfer law only applies to the transferor, not the transferee, so it wouldn’t be illegal to receive. CMP’s counsel must have determined it doesn’t apply to them being outside of MD, and MD must not have disagreed.

Here is the law authorizing CMP to sell to gun club members.

“(b)Gun Club Members.—
    (1)
    The corporation may sell, at fair market value, surplus caliber .22 rimfire rifles, caliber .30 surplus rifles, and caliber .45 M1911/M1911A1 surplus pistols, ammunition, repair parts and other supplies necessary for target practice to a citizen of the United States who is legally of age and who is a member of a gun club affiliated with the corporation.
    (2)
    Except as provided in section 40733 of this title, sales under this subsection are subject to applicable United States, State, and local law. In addition to any other requirement, the corporation shall establish procedures to obtain a criminal records check of the individual with United States Government and State law enforcement agencies.”

Here is Section 40733 exempting their sales of .30 cals and .22 cals from the FFL system requirements of 18 USC 922.

Subsection (b) states firearms other than .30 cals and .22 cals require the CMP to have an FFL, meaning the 1911.

“(a)In General.—
    Except as provided in subsection (b), section 922(a)(1)–(3) and (5) of title 18 does not apply to the shipment, transportation, receipt, transfer, sale, issuance, loan, or delivery by the corporation, of an item that the corporation is authorized to issue, loan, sell, or receive under this chapter.
    (b)Exception.—
    With respect to firearms other than caliber .22 rimfire and caliber .30 rifles, the corporation shall obtain a license as a dealer in firearms and abide by all requirements imposed on persons licensed under chapter 44 of title 18, including maintaining acquisition and disposition records, and conducting background checks.”
    Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for!

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Nope - perfectly legal for the rifles. The handguns are a different story though.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    It is perfectly legal. The CMP follows state law in all cases. The CMP is a licensee and is the only FFL permitted to run an NICS check remotely and ship the firearm directly to the purchaser. They are an FFL. No intermediary requirement. After they clear the background check (they are doing a 4473 on your behalf), it is no different than a manufacturer or gunsmith returning a firearm to you. When you buy a 1911 from them, two background checks get run. They do one when you pay for the gun and they ship it to your dealer here and then the dealer does the second.

An officer expressing an opinion has no legal weight. The CMP knows what they are doing. They aren't going to manufacture criminals. It is why in other states they won't ship direct to the purchaser.

I hate gun shops who start to spout off on their own interpretation of the law. I had a shop in Mount Airy claim mere possession of 10+ round magazines was a felony in Maryland. First and last time I gave them business. Frankly, anyone who says they posted online to get an opinion I don't believe. Just hot air. Ignore it. The CMP is as above board as it can get.

I have bought two Garands from them. I wonder if dickhead gun shop staff knows it is also perfectly legal for you to buy an M1 out-of-state from either CMP store? No intermediary there either.

Matt

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Back in the Clinton administration, the Democrats discovered the existence of the DCM, the U.S. Army program which sold rifles to civilians. Of course, they shut that down. In response, the Republicans created the CMP, which sells far more rifles to civilians.

The old DCM, which existed since the Teddy Roosevelt administration, was shipping rifles long before the 1968 GCA ended mail order gun sales. I would guess the DCM got an exemption in the GCA, and that exemption was extended to the new CMP.

A few states, such as New Jersey, require the rifles to be transferred by an FFL. I would guess the carve out to allow states to do that is in the original legislation which set up the CMP.

Now your clueless buddy down at the gun store is trying to screw things up with his stupid questions. What kind of brain dead clueless idiot does that?

Never, never, never ask a Maryland State Trooper, or any LEO, a legal question. They are not lawyers. It would make more sense to ask the IRS a question about tax law, and I hope you know better than to do that.

If you ask 10 different MSP troopers a question about gun law, you will get 15 answers, probably all wrong. You might do a little better with the Licensing Division versus a random trooper running traffic enforcement, but don't be too sure about that. The MSP has nothing to do with the CMP. Why would they know about some obscure Federal law or regulation? Your buddy's trooper buddy has never even heard of the CMP, just like your damfool gun store buddy. It's the blind leading the blind.

What possible good can come from stirring things up? All it takes is a single concerned citizen to call a single publicity-hungry anti-gun delegate, and Maryland could go the way of New Jersey.
    Agreed. OP, don't overthink this. We have all bought numerous CMP firearms. It's all on the up and up. It's fine. Go buy.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    The bottom three were delivered to my door.

In 2020 during the peak of the Covid Paranoia, they just left one on the porch, rang the door bell and left.

30-06 Warhorses.jpeg

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Rack, Rack Special and Service Grade. Not all at once but over time.

I replaced the stocks and hand guards on two of them with more “correct” ones.

The rack grade is currently at Fulton Armory getting the full monte FA treatment.

Longhorse

MSI Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2021
    Rack, Rack Special and Service Grade. Not all at once but over time.

I replaced the stocks and hand guards on two of them with more “correct” ones.

The rack grade is currently at Fulton Armory getting the full monte FA treatment.

How was the bore and rifling on the rack grade? Do the rack grade rifles make good shooters or are they pretty rough?

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan

You must use an incredibly clueless shop- CMP has nothing to do with MSP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom