• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    My ex girlfriends father had one chambered, assume rebarreled, in .270. I'm surprised we haven't seen a .243 Garand.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    My ex girlfriends father had one chambered, assume rebarreled, in .270. I'm surprised we haven't seen a .243 Garand.

I've seen barrels listed for sale in .243.

Here are some good comments on .308 Garands, from a guy who seems to know what he's talking about:

http://forums.thecmp.org/showpost.php?p=575739&postcount=15

And here's some interesting information about the Navy .308 Garands:

http://yarchive.net/gun/rifle/garand_308.html

I've been thinking I'd like to have a Garand in .22 Long Rifle, for practice.

Last edited:

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    The problem isn't with the barrel. It's with the gas system. The rifle was designed to function with .30 cal M2 Ball. Or 30-06 loaded to military specifications. The pressure wave generated by the M2 is different from most commercial loaded ammo. Too little pressure and the rifle doesn't cycle. Too much pressure and you risk bending the op rod or doing damage to the receiver from the force of the action cycling. It may not happen the first time, but you run the risk of serious damage. You can put in an adjustable gas plug to regulate the amount of gas used to cycle the weapon, which allows you to use commercial 30-06. With the original gas plug it's only safe to use military M2 or a commercial round loaded to the exact same specs. Federal makes a round through it's American Eagle brand that's designed especially for the Garand. It's not exactly cheap, but I like not tearing up my nice Garand.
    The M1A is similar to the Garand design. I can run most .308/7.62x51 in it. Springfield Armory advises against using really heavy bullets and Hornandy TAP. I currently use Winchester White Box 7.62 Nato. The rifle eats it up.
    And yes, shooting a Garand is worth having to learn all this.

I wonder if the .308 Garands that CMP is selling have the adjustable gas plug. I may call them and ask.
    (ps: I don't know if I mentioned it, but I have a super "correct grade" Garand in .30-06 and I only shoot M2 ball through it and I've stocked up about 5000 rounds of it from CMP.)

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    I love it, but would let it go for a DD AR
    I thought about gettin a M1 Garand in 308 but I missed out on it for 725. Now Im glad I did.

Attachments

• m1a.jpg
      m1a.jpg
      40.1 KB · Views: 109

VTX1800

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 29, 2011
    AA County
    I love my Winchester .308 M1 Garand :thumbsup:

I got mine from Orion 7 about eight-nine years ago and it's a real pleasure to shoot.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    The first issue of 7.62 NATO Garrands were contracted by the Navy. I played with a few...........very nice and very accurate.

We stood watch with Garands in 1972...... I honestly don't remember if they were .308 or 06, guns were not my top priority at the time. I know I hit my target when we practiced with them every shot. I think we were somewhere in the Indian Ocean or South China Sea at the time and I was aiming at the water. :o

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    We stood watch with Garands in 1972...... I honestly don't remember if they were .308 or 06, guns were not my top priority at the time. I know I hit my target when we practiced with them every shot. I think we were somewhere in the Indian Ocean or South China Sea at the time and I was aiming at the water. :o

did they let you blast ammo whenever?

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    did they let you blast ammo whenever?

Nope, that was just a couple of times thing to get people qualified because we needed to post extra watches when in port. I wished I could remember which they were but I just don't know BUT I do remember thinking they were short compared to my 06 hunting rounds so maybe they were. :shrug:

I missed out on a Navy 7.62 NATO Garrand at Hafer's. It was on consignment and had a hefty price tag. It was there for several months and I kept checking it out, it was in excellent shape. Finally when I decided to buy it, it sold the day before. I had seen a bunch in the Navy and figured another would pop up somewhere.................DOH!

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I missed out on a Navy 7.62 NATO Garrand at Hafer's. It was on consignment and had a hefty price tag. It was there for several months and I kept checking it out, it was in excellent shape. Finally when I decided to buy it, it sold the day before. I had seen a bunch in the Navy and figured another would pop up somewhere.................DOH!

What were they asking for it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom