• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    I never shot an M1 Garand before. I want to buy one so that I get to gain the experience of shooting the very battle rifle platform used by my grandfather during WWII.
    They are AWESOME! I wouldn't want to drag one around Europe or the Pacific Islands, but they are a blast to own, hold, appreciate, occasionally shoot and pass along to children!

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Maybe I'm a bit biased...but I believe the M1 Garand is the most magnificent rifle ever designed and built. It has everything going for it...history...design...excellent aesthetics and handling qualities...you name it.
    Agree 100%. Easily my favorite gun. Anytime I take it to a range I always have a group of people gather to see and shoot it. Amazing gun, fantastic world changing history too!!!

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The M1 is a piece of cake. If you want to feel a kick…try a M1903 with the standard service stock…an Enfield No. 5 Jungle Carbine or a Mosin-Nagant carbine. Those…especially the Enfield and the Mosin…will really rock your world!
    I absolutely agree. The M1 Garand is more comfortable to shoot than a Savage model 10 in 308. I had to put a Limbsaver on my model 10. But the Garand? No problem.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I absolutely agree. The M1 Garand is more comfortable to shoot than a Savage model 10 in 308. I had to put a Limbsaver on my model 10. But the Garand? No problem.
    And to think many old timer soldiers didn’t like the M1 when it was first adopted into service. Many said it didn’t “shoot as hard “ as the ‘03 they were long accustomed to. Even though it was the same .30-06 round they didn’t realize the recoil was applied differently with the gas action.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Love all MILSUP variants of the .30-06
    Still need an 03. Have the 03A3 but not the original 03.
    View attachment 405616
    The 03 is a more refined rifle than the 03A3, but the sights are just so much better on the 03A3, that tips it for me to the 03A3 being the better rifle IMHO. I only have so much space, so much money, and my wife doesn't like guns. So I figure my 03A3 is the only 1903 variant I'll own. But I will be happy about it :-)

I do like a Garand more (I've got an IHA).

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    They are AWESOME! I wouldn't want to drag one around Europe or the Pacific Islands, but they are a blast to own, hold, appreciate, occasionally shoot and pass along to children!

I've schlepped mine around the Eastern shore on a couple of the bigger DNR WMAs. That kind of sucks makes me appreciate my grandfathers a lot more. Though my one granddad was a civilian contractor airplane mechanic at Hickham airfield for the entire war. Civilian or not, they did drill with 1903s just in case the Japs tried to get a foothold. But it was fairly informal. My other Granddad carried a Carbine shore side a few times. He was a radio operate on a Destroyer in the south Pacific on a couple of different ships.

Anyway, carrying that M1 garand on maybe 8 or 9 miles of hiking around, some in the swamps, is no joke by the end of the day. And I am not out of shape. And I was carrying about 20lbs of hiking pack. Not 100lbs of gear.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Hi everyone. I'm Alex, and I just moved into Howard County from Dorchester County. I have met all of the requirements for the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP), including being a member of the MSRPA, which is affiliated with the CMP, having a valid Wear and Carry Permit, and of course, my forms of I.D to prove that I live in Maryland and that I am of age. Before I make a mail order for the M1 Garand, I am curious as to when my card would be charged, as I do not get paid until the 17th, but since I have to order the M1 Garand by mail, I guess it should be a while before my card is charged. I just worry that they charge it before the 17th, depending on when they receive the mail order.
    Sometime if you want to head to western HoCo, I'd be happy to take you to IWLA where I am a member.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The 03 is a more refined rifle than the 03A3, but the sights are just so much better on the 03A3, that tips it for me to the 03A3 being the better rifle IMHO. I only have so much space, so much money, and my wife doesn't like guns. So I figure my 03A3 is the only 1903 variant I'll own. But I will be happy about it :-)

I do like a Garand more (I've got an IHA).

Absolutely…the ‘03A3 is a better battle rifle though it is without doubt a somewhat cruder rifle in manufacture. The 1903 as designed and built is probably a better target rifle due to the finely made sights but those sights are what hurts it in combat.

Aesthetically I think the 1903 is superior…practically the ‘03A3 is the better rifle.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    I'm wondering how the OP made out with ordering his M1 Garand from CMP or anyone else that ordered one recently.
    I just ordered 2 by mail order and now waiting.
    Will they contact me when they get my order and verify it, that everything is in order?
    The website says 30-45 days to ship, the order form says allow 30 days, somewhere else I saw 2-4 weeks...IF all the paperwork and documents are correct.
    What I'm wondering about is after 30-45 days, they contact me and say something in my paperwork is not correct or ineligible, or gun is out of stock, back order, price increase and so on. Should I just sit back and wait, then after a month start wondering if they got my order?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I got mine reasonably quickly, I think it was 2 1/2 weeks before they called me about a problem with my paperwork back at the end of October. They will contact you quickly if there is any problem with your paperwork. My rifles went out 2 days later. FedEx caused me more delay and headache than CMP. I ordered a pair of Expert Grades. One has a low serial number that drives Gunbroker buyers crazy so I am going to sell it and buy another.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    You will get the much-coveted "Don't Bug Us" e mail, the "DBU."

There is a thread on the CMP forum with up to date obsessing about current orders.

I got mine reasonably quickly, I think it was 2 1/2 weeks before they called me about a problem with my paperwork back at the end of October. They will contact you quickly if there is any problem with your paperwork. My rifles went out 2 days later. FedEx caused me more delay and headache than CMP. I ordered a pair of Expert Grades. One has a low serial number that drives Gunbroker buyers crazy so I am going to sell it and buy another.
    thanks! what I needed to know.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    I got the email today. I mailed the order last Friday so it was a week. Unfortunately they are out of Expert Grades and my order is on hold till they build some more. no idea when that will happen.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Just rec'd this:

CMP Advanced Maintenance Class Returns in 2024!

After a long hiatus, the Civilian Marksman Program (CMP's) Advanced Maintenance Clinics will be returning in 2024! The course is for those firearm enthusiasts interested in assembling his or her own vintage rifle with the help of hands-on, knowledgeable instructors. Due to popularity of the classes, registration will be based on a lottery system. Registration for the lottery will be open through Dec. 22. Along with classes for individuals, the Custom Shop will host four “Buddy Class” dates – reserved for applicants wishing to attend with a designated partner of their choosing. Click here for more information on the AMC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom