• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noddaz

bonehead
    Jan 9, 2014
    Arnold
    I may have been the first person in YEARS to take my SKS apart and clean it. And it was quite nasty inside. I watched 2 videos before taking it apart and I thought I had it covered.

Then I hit myself in the crotch with the recoil spring. Be careful of that. I cleaned the grease, dirt, scum, crud off the metal parts off with some acetone, I know, don't do that, there are better cleaners and I won't use it in the future. But it is what I had handy and I didn't have anything better handy. And now the nasty parts are clean dry parts. I ran a brush through the bore and then oiled patches through the bore. I lightly oiled up the parts with Hoppes #9 oil and re-assembled. And back on the rack it went.

The Savage .22 was much easier to clean. But it should be since it is a bolt action.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    I also hope you also cleaned the gas cylinder. I like Ballistol that works and won't hurt anything else on your gun, but there are dozens of non toxic CLP type cleaner lubes out there and hundreds of posts extolling the pros and cons of each. If it is good enough for Hitchcock 45, it is good enough for me. :-) YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom