• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Picked up a new (OLD!) rifle yesterday at Vigilant Tactical (<Kudos!). This 1979 Marlin Golden 39A rifle had apparently been stored wrapped in a blanket for what was obviously a LONG time, until the owner died and the rifle was found by his wife, who did not know there was a firearm in the home. Looked like several generations of critters had lived in the bore and there was lots of surface rust. This model is pre-cross bolt safety and the barrel is "JM" stamped. It cleaned up very nicely, especially the bore.

xry37KW.jpg

KC6EJyg.jpg

pw9s6NU.jpg

seT9Uvl.jpg

This is my first lever gun. I'm impressed with how solid and well-made this rifle is. Do they still make them like this?
    Plan is to add an aperture sight and shoot it in NRA Silhouette.
    PfZx797.jpg

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I put a Lyman receiver sight on mine many decades ago. It's already drilled and tapped for the sight: those are dummy screws filling the holes in the receiver.

The dummy screws on top are for the weaver scope mount base, which you need if you want to mount a scope.

When you break it down for cleaning, you'll find the ejector gets in the way of the breech. You can lock the ejector down out of the way by pressing it down with a screwdriver while you turn that screw you see about a quarter turn. That gets it out of the way so you can clean from the breech.

Of course, .22s don't need 1/10 as much cleaning as many people think, but that's a discussion for another thread.

Also, take your trigger finger out of the trigger guard while you crank that lever. I learned that lesson after I got a nasty blood blister on my finger while rapid firing out by my friend's barn after school one day.

Great rifle! Enjoy it!

Last edited:

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I just bought one his spring, have been wanting one for years. It came with a nice scope mounted on it.
    First thing I did was ditch the scope and put a Skinner sight on it. The scope just didn't look/seem right to me.
    I like the Skinner so much better.

blazing lead

Nov 29, 2018
    Cecil county
    That's a sweet looking shooter you got yourself there. I'm glad it was resurrected from it's forgotten fate.
    I remember one of my friends father's had one of those when I was a kid. We made alot of tin cans dance, fun times for sure.

I mentioned this in another thread, Marbles makes a tang sight that works

It was meant for other Marlins but it works on the Golden 39A. Undo the four small screws that separate the base from the sight, remove the original tang screw, put the base where you want it (it has two holes, you only use one). Put in the replacement/longer tang sight screw, re-attach the sight to he base, and there you go.

Last edited:

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Oh I really like them. I really regret getting into boating.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Also, you know the hydrogen peroxide trick to clean the white line buttplate, yes?

Sent from my SM-T733 using Tapatalk

It's very likely it would crack. Another easy "cheat" is to buy a small/cheap white laundry basket. Trace the original buttplate on it, and then cut out a new one.

It's very likely it would crack. Another easy "cheat" is to buy a small/cheap white laundry basket. Trace the original buttplate on it, and then cut out a new one.

Haven't had one crack yet (and these were 1950s vintage) so unless there is a glue issue involved they should be okay.

The hydrogen peroxide trick is simple: Take the white part of the buttplate (which should separate from the buttplate) and put it into a bag of hydrogen peroxide (the smaller and more close-fitting the better). Then put the bag outside in the sunlight. The UV rays will react with the hydrogen peroxide to make an oxygen-based bleach similar to Oxi-clean. Its great for removing oxidation from plastics.

As for the buttplate itself, wash it with dish soap and COLD water, even scrub it with an old toothbrush if you like to really get in there. Once its dry apply your favorite product. I either use Zaino Z-14 Plastic Magic, Car Guys Plastic Restorer, or McGuiars Ultimate Black.

Also take a couple of pics as you disassemble the stock cap, so you know how it goes back together.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Thanks to all for the great responses. FYI - I have (back-)ordered a Williams FP-39 rear aperture sight and will try this out in competition, while keeping on the lookout for a steel elev/windage adjustable version like a Lyman. The Skinner sight looked very nice but lacked the needed elevation adjustment. I already love the feel of this rifle. Flame me now, but you couldn't give me a Vudoo.

Last edited:

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    That's a really nice rifle. Maybe Ruger will make them again, as they have with the 336, Guide Gun, and the 1894 carbine.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Thanks to all for the great responses. FYI - I have (back-)ordered a Williams FP-39 rear aperture sight and will try this out in competition, while keeping on the lookout for a steel elev/windage adjustable version like a Lyman. The Skinner sight looked very nice but lacked the needed elevation adjustment. I already love the feel of this rifle. Flame me now, but you couldn't give me a Vudoo.
    The Skinner peep does adjust for elevation. But that requires rotating the sight up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom