• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmocarsky

Apr 20, 2011
    Is it possible to legally purchase a quality stiletto switchblade and if so, where?

I always thought they were so cool when I was a kid (50 years ago) and would love to have one for a "toy" if it is legal.

One of my buddies used to sneak his dad's out of the house from time to time, (he said his father used it in WWII) and I remember that thing must have had a 6 inch blade and would nearly jump out of your hand when it was opened!

Rmocarsky

krucam

Ultimate Member

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    As the wikidot site states, legality is multi-faceted.

All automatic (aka switchblade) knives are restricted by three laws of note, one federal and two state of Maryland. For purposes of all three laws, they only apply to "true" switchblades, which have a button or other type of actuator integral to the handle, and do not include assisted-openers which require pressure on the blade itself to open. For purposes of every single switchblade law I have researched, there is no legal distinction between an Out-The-Front (often erroneously called a stiletto) and a side-opener.

The federal law, 15 U.S.C. Chapter 29, makes it illegal to sell any auto over state lines. It has no other effects, and should be noted it only affects the company selling it to you, not you personally as the buyer. You may ask "What? Then why does BladeHQ sell them to anyone?" Oh they are breaking federal law, believe you me, but it's a calculated risk. The law is largely unenforceable when commerce is conducted within the United States, due to very, very strict mail privacy laws. Added to that are the fact that the FBI frankly doesn't care all that much about this dumb law.

In our state of Maryland, two more laws apply, Criminal Code 4-101 and 4-105.

4-105 is similar to the Federal law, in that is prohibits sale of autos, but has no effect on buyers. Note this law has no exceptions, not even for police, EMT or military. Thus you will not find autos for sale anywhere in the state, and if you do, such sellers are, by the letter of the law, criminals.

4-101 is the carry law for everything except guns. Switchblades are clearly stated as falling under the definition of "weapon." Buuuut, it's not illegal to carry a "weapon" unless it's concealed. Open carry of any "weapon," even a switchblade, is fine so long as you don't go around menacing people.

No part of Federal or Maryland law prohibits you from owning one at home, but there are a few local ordinances within Maryland cities that do ban them outright. So far the only one I know of is Baltimore City (Article 19, § 59-2)

So in light if all this, how do you get one and not break any laws? Well you could order from BladeHQ, as I stated it's them that are breaking the law, not you. But if you're like me and just don't feel right doing that, it's also perfectly legal to go to a state like Indiana, West Virginia, Arizona, Utah. Georgia or any other state where autos are legal for sale, and bring it back with you.

Last edited:

Americus

Feb 9, 2013
    i came for babes in high heels... :(

what kind of stupid state we live in regulates knives.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    No, and yes, and maybe, and sort of. Under certain commerce acts, you can buy a switchblade if it was made in your state, but you may not be able to transport it. In Oregon, Benchmade and Kershaw/ZT can sell autos to civilians (and Spyderco in CO) because their products are made in-house in that state.

Technically anything can potentially constitute a "deadly weapon" and that is the most important single-point to knife laws in that one realizes context means everything. Most cops do not care if someone carries a knife regardless of type...most carry knives themselves. They care of the context of its usage and the common sense exercised by the user.

With that said, my guess is the stiletto you speak of is more for collecting than physically carrying it...they are seen as the 'classic' switchblade, associated with gang activity, automatic openers are slow compared to modern folding knives which use waved and assisted action, and they generally have very weak locking mechanisms with blades not suited for cutting. If you are buying one for collecting purposes, there are both dealers and individuals who will sell, some with certain circumstances such as written statement of intent of ownership.

At the risk of having my house raided, I own a variety of knives not legal to carry that are displayed for historical purposes...some which were carried by soldiers in wars going back to WWI. With these sorts of knives, legality isn't the biggest issue...sourcing one is.

Your biggest fight will be to find a decent model. Italian models vary dramatically...from crap to exceptional. There are a lot of models that come from Austria (and of course, China which is generally crap). Most American models are crap. The ones which are crap you can find for 10 bucks at flea markets...but when I say they are crap, I mean they are absolute crap. A few American companies, including Pro Tech and Microtech, made very short runs of traditional models. But they were limited editions and given they were of the highest quality you can find, in low production numbers, they cost A LOT and take long times to locate.

If you are not looking for the traditional 'Italian style', Protech's DON is exceptional. Unlike the more traditional models, these have stronger locking mechanisms, better steel, a good grind, and hence can be used for some utility. Still compared to modern folding knives, like most autos, they aren't made for heavier usage.
    1738-1739-protech-knives-004.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom