• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • er.45

Mar 1, 2007
    Elkton, MD
    Heys Guys,
    I new here so I hope I am doing this right. I live in MD, I sold a Colt 1911 made in 1919 (the gun is 87 years old) through Gunbroker.com. The guys who bought is in WI, he has a C&R FFL, can I ship this gun to him? Or do I need to send it through a FFL dealer? How can I be sure his C&R FFL is "OK". I don't know much about the C&R and I don't need any trouble. If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it.

Thanks for your time
    Rob Michael
    Elkton, MD

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    As I understand it you can ship it to him (be careful though that you ship it properly) because he is an FFL.
    If you are worried about the law, then make sure you check on WI law to make sure C&R FFLs can recieve the pistol in the mail (some states like MA don't allow it). Also ask for a signed copy (faxed or mailed) of his C&R FFL and only ship the handgun directly to the address on the license. If you have a copy of his license, it is legal for him to get a C&R handgun in the mail in his state, and you ship it properly, then all your bases should be covered and as I understand it you do not have to check to see if his license is valid (I think you can't check anyway on the ATF websight for C&R FFLs).

Remember that you cannot send a handgun through the US mail service USPS (unless it is an "antique"). As I understand it you must send it through a private carrier that allows shipments of handguns, notify them it is a handgun when you drop it off and ship it overnight because I think handguns that are not antiques or replicas of antiques must all be shipped overnight (I think UPS ships them, but you will have to take it to a hub or distribution center usually because the sattelite shops have people there that don't know their own rules).
    The overnight fee will cost more of course, so unless you are a nice guy, you may want to make him pay the extra ten or twenty bucks or whatever it is.

By the way, I would keep the copy of his FFL for a few years just in case. Ya never know....

Last edited:

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I just looked it up on Gunbroker. Apparently USPS is not a good way to go and you need to use FedEx:
    FedEx: FedEx will only ship firearms via their Priority Overnight service. Ammunition must be shipped as dangerous goods.

UPS: UPS will accept handgun shipments by Next Day Air only. Rifles and shotguns can be shipped by UPS ground service. UPS will accept shipments of ammunition. UPS does not allow shipment of firearms FROM an unlicensed person (even to an FFL), unless the stated reason for the firearm shipment is for repair or modifications.

Most other shippers will no longer accept firearm shipments. Airborne and Roadway have specifically prohibited firearm shipments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom